“Nice Motel, Great location”
Review of Fort Garry Hotel

Fort Garry Hotel
Ranked #10 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I went to this motel for work and stayed 3 nights. The general atmosphere is quite nice and charming. The rooms a little slow and dated which ties into the antique appeal of the motel. The gym was old fashioned muscle head gym which suited me great and the pool was decent. The conference rooms were very nice with good service. The best part of this motel is the location right next to 3 forks which is awesome. Would most defiantly stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank mokamercury
Alessandra C, Marketing Coordinator at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Fort Garry Hotel and for taking the time to post a review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our hotel's central location which is in walking distance to some major attractions such as the Forks Market. We appreciate your feedback on our hotel and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

What a lovely old hotel! Rooms a bit small. Good beds, lovely linens. Bathroom needed a wall paper update - but again that's part of it's charm. Beautiful stair cases, grand ballrooms. Food was superb. Walls a bit thin - could hear conversations from the next room. Sunday buffet overwhelming - excellent food, very expensive.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Laura J

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to post a review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our fine Italian linens and our grand Sunday brunch. In regards to the wallpaper in the bathroom, I would appreciate if you could email me your room number so we can take a closer look at this.

Thank you for your review. We look forward to serving you once again.

aconicella@fortgarryhotel..com

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Starting to look a little shabby, but clean and generally well-maintained. The staff were very attentive and helpful. I have mobility problems and old hotels aren't great for the disabled, but the hotel staff tried their best to accommodate.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank tedrobak

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Fort Garry hotel and for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate the feedback regarding our staff during your stay. I am happy to read that they were attentive and helpful for you. If there is anything I can do to assist you on a future visit at our hotel please do not hesitate to contact me using my email address listed below.

We look forward to serving you once again.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

They upgraded us to a suite when there were no spare cots available for our son. Loved the old world charm. King bed was extremely comfortable. Brunch the next morning (half price for hotel guests!!) was amazing! Also, excellent coffee--very important for travellers! Our son loved his stay and his fold out sofa was comfy for him. Great service for the entire stay!!

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Secondstar2theright

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Fort Garry hotel and for taking the time to post a review. I am very happy to read that your stay was comfortable and well enjoyed! We look forward to having you with us again.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Trip Advisor

I stayed two days at the splendid Fort Garry Hotel.

First, three caveats:

ONE: I made the huge mistake of booking at hotels.com. What a horrible organisation. I rang the hotel to change my res. Not possible! I tried Hotel.com website. Again not possible. I rang and rang, finally got someone. I book for two times, and they lost the second res, awful. Never book with hotels.com, that is my advice. Book at the hotel.

Second: I went into the dining room for a quick bite before another appointment and the food took around 40 minutes from time I ordered to turn up at the table, though it was just a lowly hamburger.

Third Caveat:
The bathroom has no soap — only darn bottles you have to squeeze to try and get a sticky liquid to have a shower with.

Now, on the bright side: It’s a great hotel, everything one could want in elegance with a great, highly trained, polite and welcoming staff.

The rooms are large, efficient and tremendous value for the price. The bathroom has the best bath towels I've seen anywhere. The room is beautifully designed, with the ledge to lay out your various needs.

Anyone coming by train can just cross the street and there you are, just a block away, at home. So it’s very central, downtown, comfortable, and frankly, everything one could want in a first-class hotel.

Room Tip: all rooms okay. mine was cheapest but superb
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank malibunovelist
Alessandra C, Marketing Coordinator at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Fort Garry Hotel and for taking the time to post a review. I am very happy to read that our staff was helpful and welcoming and that you enjoyed our fine Italian linens and bath towels. I appreciate your feedback regarding the wait time in the Palm Lounge. I have passed on this information to the appropriate department for their knowledge. If you would like to discuss this experience further please do not hesitate to contact me using my email address provided below.

We look forward to having you stay with us again!

Reviewed 10 August 2014

...on the inside it's not as nice once you go further. The hotel has a certain "smell" about it... go for a walk on floor number 1 and you'll see what I mean. The room also has an odour... and the decor looks like it hasn't been updated for years. I suppose that's part of the old hotel charm. The bed is the softest bed I have ever been on. I have massive back ache at the moment that started after my first night there. I basically woke up every morning in a "V" shape due to the lack of support from the mattress. My last complaint is that I could hear absolutely everything happening in the room next to me... all the way down to subtle conversation (not that I was trying to listen).

That's the bad...

The good is that the hotel breakfast is very nice. The gym is good to work out in. There's free wifi. It's close to downtown. Friendly staff.

All in all I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank lummox1
Management response:Responded 11 August 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to post a review. While I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our breakfast and amenities, I am sorry to read that your sleep was uncomfortable. At check-in you should be given the option between a Feather mattress or Tempurpedic mattress. Please let me know if these options were not clearly communicated to you.

The Fort Garry hotel strives to provide excellence in customer satisfaction. If at any point during your stay you are being disturbed by noise or an uncomfortable sleep, our Front Desk staff is available around the clock to help.

Please use my email below should you choose to stay with us again. I would be happy to provide assistance in making your next stay a more comfortable one.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed one night in July. Front door and desk staff friendly and helpful. Self parking convenient but was an additional cost. Wifi was free. Lobby beautiful, rooms aged but comfortable beds with choice at checking of firm or soft beds. No in room coffee but complimentary 24 hours a day from room service. It was very good coffee! 12 pm check out appreciated. Convenient location close to the Forks Market, Osborne Village, and Corydon Ave. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank yyc44traveler
Alessandra C, Marketing Coordinator at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Fort Garry hotel and for taking the time to post a review. I am happy to read that you enjoyed our many complimentary amenities such as our high-speed WIFI access, 24/7 Coffee/Tea service and choice of either Feather or Tempurpedic mattress. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to having you stay with us once again!