“very good hotel”

Ranked #33 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Simcoe, Canada
“very good hotel”
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I have to work in Winnipeg quite often so I did try many hotels around, this one is definitely my favorite. the funny thing is that there are 3 other hotels closer to where I have to work but this one is worth the extra 10 mins drive.

rooms are nice and typical to Holiday inn rooms. the staff always have everything ready for me when I get there(priority club)

the restaurant is good, buffet is good and try their hot wings with some delicious local beer on tap.

lots of good restaurant near by and liquor store is across the street.

Room Tip: executive rooms are nicer
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
MikeGore, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this review, 19 December 2012
Thank you so much for your loyalty to the Holiday Inn Winnipeg South and for sharing your thoughts with other people. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Thompson, Canada
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We showed up the Morning and i mean like 7AM and ask if we could check in as check in is 3 PM, and had no problems, and anything we needed after this was great. The hotel pool is a little small but does the trick. Hot tub was nice and clean with a nice temp set. Parking was good as they have camaras all over the place. We will return to the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your kind comments. We are proud of our friendly and helpful staff and appreciate you taking the time to comment in this way. I have passed your comments on to our team. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.
Reviewed 21 October 2012

We've stayed at this hotel a couple of times when in Winnipeg and find it to be a good place to stay. We usually book a King Executive room which is quite spacious. The hotel and this room were clean, staff was friendly, amenities were okay, although the TV reception could certainly be improved. Internet speed and performance was fine in this room. Our air conditioner was not working properly and therefore the room temperature was too warm - up to 78 degrees. We reported the problem upon checking out and they were calling a technician right away. Bedding, pillows, and towels were all clean and fresh which is important to us. Fridge worked well.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
MikeGore, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this review, 7 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment in this way. We were all pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you also for taking the time to mention the A/C unit in the guest room. Rest assured, that situation has been addressed and the unit repaired. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Winnipeg South on your next visit to our city.
Dawson Creek
Reviewed 19 October 2012 via mobile

after booking rooms a month and a half ago, guaranteeing them to my credit card, then phoning the hotel this afternoon to inform them that we would be arriving late as our flights were delayed, and having them tell us "no problem".....we arrive here to find out one of the 3 rooms booked was given away!!! it is 1am and there are no rooms anywhere!!!! Not happy!

Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Winnipeg South. We sincerely apologize for the problem you encountered upon arrival at the hotel. I certainly understand the frustration you must have felt to discover that one of the rooms you had reserved was not available.

On occasion a guest that is in the hotel overstays their reservation and does not notify the desk. Typically we would contact the guest and remind them that they were due to check out and ask them to vacate their room. On the night of your arrival, however, the guest was not in their room nor could they be reached to advise them to vacate, as a result we found ourselves one room short to fulfill our reservation requirements.

On these occasions it is our policy to accommodate our guest at a comparable local hotel on a complimentary basis, to pay their transportation to and from that hotel and to pay for any phone calls required to advise friends and/or business associates of the change in arrangements.

I understand this is of very little comfort to you and your family and apologize again for any discomfort you suffered as a result of this situation. We are reviewing our procedures and taking steps to ensure that this does not happen again. We apologize again for this situation and appreciate your patience and understanding.

Travellers are raving about these Winnipeg hotels

Reviewed 8 October 2012

I have stayed at this location several times.

I am a regular business traveller and pretty loyal to Holiday Inn ( partly due to their exceptional loyalty program ) .

I just land here because I know this area now and it has a semi good restaurant. The food is average and the menu is pretty limited but the service staff are friendly as are the front desk employees.

I drove here from Thompson MB and at The Best Western Thompson ( the middle of nowhere ) I had crystal clear, speedy internet. In the largest city in the province, the internet is horrible and is obviously limited to cut costs. In 2012 when Thompson can get it right, it is a sin for a Holiday Inn to be represented by such misers who try and boost their bottom line by going lean on such an essential service.

As a Platinum Priority Club Member, I was given a bottle of water and a cookie in a ziplock bag.

The parking would be a challenge for a nervous driver. On the plus side the parking lot is located directly beside a police station so there is a sense of vehicle security that you might not enjoy at the downtown location.

I read in a previous review that there is a Polo Park Holiday Inn opening. They will get my business next trip to Manitoba.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
MikeGore, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this review, 16 October 2012
Thank you for your candid comments. We certainly appreciate how frustrating slow internet service can be and recognize the importance that this particular amenity has to our valued guests. The increased demand put on our wireless system with more and more guests using laptops and hand held devices, downloading movies, music etc. does impact the speed with which the system responds.

During particularly high demand periods the system may slow down and the demand is becoming greater almost every month. We did increase our capacity recently and are in the process of increasing our bandwidth once again to increase our capacity further.

We trust that on your next stay at our hotel you will find the situation to be greatly improved.
Hannon
Reviewed 27 September 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 nights....had to put up with a noisy fridge and toilet for 2 nights....after complaining 3x they told me that they had to order a part....I asked to be moved and they agreed. Then I had to deal with cold showers for 3 mornings. Shower would be hot and 1-2 min.....the water would go cold......then 1-2min later it would get a little warmer. Internet is also extremely slow. I wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of your experience at our hotel.
We certainly apologize for the problems that you encountered during your stay. The plumbing issues and the refrigerator noise you mentioned are not typical of our hotel nor are they acceptable. We thank you for taking the time to bring them to our attention. Rest assured these situations have been addressed and corrected.
With regards to your comments concerning the internet – from time to time during exceptionally high demand periods our wireless high speed internet system does slow down . I understand how frustrating this can be. We are in the process of increasing our bandwidth to minimize the occurrence of these situations.
We thank you for your understanding and look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel again in the future.
The Pas, Canada
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Travelers beware! I booked this hotel on expedia as it was an affordable option and they advertised a complimentary airport shuttle. It wasn't until I arrived to check-in that I was told you have to BOOK THE SHUTTLE 24 HOURS IN ADVANCE. I needed to leave for the airport by 8am and they had no shuttles running prior to this time and it was booked until 8:45am. If I had of known that I was going to have to pay all the extra money for a cab, I would NEVER have booked with this hotel. I am mostly upset that the advertising was misleading; I've stayed at other hotels closer to the airport and have never needed to make shuttle reservations that far in advance before so I was not aware that I would have to do it this time.

I will not stay here again, nor would I recommend it to any other fellow travelers.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
MikeGore, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this review, 24 September 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We thank you, especially for bringing the misleading information on the Expedia website to our attention. I certainly empathize with your frustration. It was not our intention to mislead our guests or falsely advertise our services.
The Holiday Inn Winnipeg South does offer an airport shuttle for the convenience of our guests. As we are not an airport area hotel, our shuttle runs limited hours and we do require advance notification of shuttle requirements so that we may schedule a driver.
The Expedia website does not accurately outline the details of our shuttle service. We have been in contact with Expedia to get this changed. We have been assured by Expedia that more accurate information regarding our services will be posted on their website.
We thank you again for your comments and apologize for any inconvenience this situation may have caused.