“stayed with my kids”

Holiday Inn Winnipeg South
Ranked #34 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed 26 September 2013

check in was smooth and nice and for all the airmiles collecters....I got 20! The staff where nice and friendly and helped with all my questions. The room was nice and clean and smelled great. Parking was kinda weird as we went to the parkade but had to take stairs up. Not so great when you have heavy suitcases. Overall, nice place to stay

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 September 2013

value for money if you are on a business trip. the rooms are clean, spacious and well ventilated.the in-house restaurant offer decent choice (some items are overly priced). try the pool if you have time. only disadvantage is, barring couple of fast food joint, the neighborhood does not give you much eating options

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
MikeGore, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your experience at our hotel. We were very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

Stayed one night & I wish it could be longer! The staff are so friendly and accommodating! My kids ate in Southwinds but were too full for their included desert so after a swim they had desert sent to the room for them :) whenever you see someone they always smile & say hi or have a quick chat. The room are nice, clean & everything works. Menu at the restaurant has lots I nice choices. I will be staying here again for sure!!

• Stayed: August 2013
MikeGore, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment so positively about your experience at the Holiday Inn Winnipeg South. We were so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. I have shared your comments with our entire team and we all look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again in the future, hopefully for a longer stay next time.

Mike Gore
Holiday Inn Winnipeg South

Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

Spent two nights. Had a room near the elevator so it was rather noisy. Rooms are spacious. Clean but old. Near Starbucks! Covered parking is nice considering winter there.
For some reason, housekeeping knocked at my door at 8am which I thought was a bit early.

• Stayed: July 2013
MikeGore, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent visit to Winnipeg. hank you also for taking the time to submit a review to Trip Advisor. We apologize for the disturbances you mentioned, rest assured we have addressed these concerns with our team members. Your comment that our hotel is “clean but old” is well taken, we are taking steps to update our appearance. In the fall, we will be embarking on an extensive refurbishment project to update our facility and make it more inviting for our guests. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel to witness the results.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

Just had a great stay at this Holiday Inn in Winnipeg! The decor and condition of the holiday is dated and could use some TLC; it is obvious that its an older hotel. However, it is right next to a police station, so I felt very safe. Also, the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. We had a towel rack break in our room - it was fixed by the time we got back to our room that afternoon. Also, we asked general directions to an attraction, but they immediately printed off turn-by-turn directions. Awesome staff!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thanks so much for taking the time to submit a review of our hotel. We were certainly pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff members were able to assist you so efficiently. We are proud of our hotel, our friendly staff and the service we provide. We appreciate you taking the time to comment in this way. You will be pleased to hear that we are embarking on a complete renovation and refurbishment of our hotel to make it even more comfortable and inviting to our guests. We look forward to the opportunity of welcome g you back to the Holiday Inn Winnipeg South again in the near future.

Reviewed 7 June 2013

The room itself was clean and the bedding was nice and mattress comfortable. The customer service and the restaurant food need lots of work!

My daughter and I traveled here from Minnesota for a swim meet. We stayed with a group of other swimmers all traveling from MN.

Our first experience for the restaurant was pizza, which my daughter really liked. Breakfast the next day was O.K., prices O.K. Then we ordered room service one night and rented a movie. She wanted to have a relaxing night to prepare for more swimming early the next morning. We went down to use the microwave in the lobby (none in the rooms) and it stopped working in the middle of popping our corn. Told front desk. They just kind of laughed and sent the 'handyman' over to take a look. No apology and no offer to help pop corn in the restaurant micro which I am sure they had. When we went to order room service we could not get our room phone to work. we walked down to restaurant to place order. Again, no apology. Order was taken and said would be delivered in about 20 min. We were charged full room service rates. Food did arrive. Chicken wings were very COLD and burned to an inedible crisp. Chicken fingers were cool and had a weird taste. The only thing edible was the french fries. At this time we had already rented the movie, and as stated above, the phone wasn't working. We were unable to pause our $12 movie. So, we were stuck. Either miss the movie to get a new dinner. Or, not eat for a few hours.

Shower water went from hot to cold multiple times while showering.

On last day some swimmers had a late checkout and headed back to MN. Those of us who stayed the last night did not get room service. We came back from the morning swim session around 2pm and room had not been cleaned. I talked with the front desk regarding this and the previous nights room service. Again, no apology. Asked if we had our 'privacy tag' on door, told they would let manager know about night before and that someone would contact us. I asked to please not have someone come up to fix phone for the next hour because my daughter needed to nap before evening session. Someone both came to door and called on phone (which seemed to now work) and woke her up.

I never was contacted. Total bill just left under door. I went down to front desk before leaving and asked to speak directly with a manager. Manager was very friendly and apologetic. I was very pleasantly surprised when she offered to give us our last night free - I told her I was only looking to get the inedible food taken off bill. She said she would remove the whole last night stay because of the multiple issues.

Pretty good redemption for a not very pleasant experience. Thank You. If we come back we may try it again because of this and the hotels convenient location to the pool. However, it is up to the team. They decide and the other teams seemed to have better luck at other hotels. I was not the only team member with complaints during our stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
MikeGore, General Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to bring these issues to our attention. We certainly apologize that your stay was not the relaxing break that it should have been and for our lack of response to your concerns. This is not acceptable at our hotel. Rest assured we have addressed your comments with our entire operations team and steps have been taken to make sure that this does not happen again.

I was very pleased to hear that our Manager on Duty was able to assist you and offer some compensation for these inconveniences. Thank you again for taking the time to bring these issues to our attention. We certainly hope that you will give us the opportunity to be of service to you in the future.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

Worst hotel stay ever! Have stayed at holiday inns many times in the past and this time was a huge disappointment! Never returning to a Holiday Inn. Free for all for anyone with no consideration for other guests and unfriendly front desk staff. We live close by, went to go swimming and relax in a hot tub, for just a place to sleep could have gone home. Anything we tried to do, we couldn't. Upon check in our reservation was mixed up and had to be corrected. Went to the fitness room and options were treadmill or treadmill, all the other equipment was out of order. Went to the pool, and a group of adolescent boys were diving and cannon balling into the pool AND hot tub. Managed to get in the hot tub, and the kids started lining up on the ledge between the wading pool and shallow end and cannon ball at the same time...hot tub is right beside so need I say more. So went to the front desk to complain about the horseplay (and we have 5 kids, they weren't with that night but I'm the last person to complain about kids). Was told "I'll call my co worker", went back to the pool area, no one came. Wouldn't you know 20-30 min after I complained, 1 of the kids gets hurt, blood is in the pool, and NOW staff shows up...and pool is closed. If I hadn't complained before hand things happen, but I did complain and nothing was done. I then complained to the front desk staff about not being able to use anything and that was the whole reason we were there, hoping they could suggest something to still turn our stay into a pleasant experience, and she just looked at me and didn't say a word so I walked away stating never returning to a Holiday Inn. Terrible customer service and we were unable to use any of the amenities like the pool.

• Stayed: May 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Winnipeg South, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2013

Dear CJLand,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding customer service and for the poor fitness center. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.