“Nothing special but good.”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Winnipeg, MB
Ranked #15 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Saskatoon
“Nothing special but good.”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

A nice place to stay, it was fine and the staff was friendly. Close to the forks, parliament and the downtown area. Generally a good experience. The free breakfast was a nice addition as many hotels often don't have this option.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Hartland, Canada
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I am an avid Nascar fan and wanted to watch the race Sunday, October 27. I checked three other hotels to see if they carried the channel and was promptly told "no". When I went into Country Inn & Suites the gal was more than cooperative and showed me the listings. I would have stayed there even if the race was not on because this gal was so helpful and did it all with a smile.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Coquitlam, BC
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I wasn't sure what to expect having never stayed at a hotel near the Winnipeg airport before.

I was pleased to find that there wasn't any noise from planes during the night.

Even though I stayed on two different nights, my stays were short (12am to 6am) and therefore I didn't use the gym or other facilities.

When I first arrived I was pleasantly greeted by the night-shift clerk (Faith). She was quick and friendly as she handed me my pre-printed receipt (I paid online) and my pre-programmed room keys. Very nice not to have to wait and give tonnes of details before checking in.

I was also happy to see the free tea, coffee and cookies they have in the lobby 24/7. A nice cup of tea in the morning and at night really makes a big difference.

Unfortunately, once I left the lobby area (which is very clean, open and welcoming) I was able to see where the renovations stopped - the hallway. The carpets were visibly old, worn and dirty. The elevator up to my floor was reliable but it's older than me for sure. Upon arriving at my floor I noticed that it was in no better condition than the main floor. The hallway was clean but the dark brown doors, poor lighting and dirty carpet were less than welcoming. Some simple light upgrades would make a big difference here.

My room was much better - clearly an older building but it was well maintained. I didn't see any rust, odd stains, missing items, etc. I left my shoes on since I didn't trust the cleanliness of the carpet but the rest was all pretty good. I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

The bed was comfy and big, the room was quiet (as far as outside noise was concerned) and the climate control was easy to find. The chief complaint I have is the HVAC system. The air conditioner was extremely noisy and when I switched it to heat mode, it didn't improve the noise much. However, this is not the only hotel where I've experience that.

The TV(s) are nice, with Shaw cable providing a decent selection of channels.

In the morning I was able to enjoy a nice, well laid-out, plentiful continental breakfast. I runs 6am-9am in the lobby. There's make-your-own waffles (batter dispenser and waffle iron), several juices, milk, tea & coffee, oatmeal, bagels, muffins, cereal...a lot of options. I didn't leave hungry.

Checkout was even simpler - the clerk (Faith) actually brought me my checkout papers as I was eating breakfast so I didn't have to line up to get it.

Great service all around - I didn't meet a single staff member who gave me anything but excellent hospitality.

While the hotel could use some renovations it's definitely somewhere I'd considering staying again purely due to the great experience.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more for the single king room with a separate bedroom (I stayed in 218). It was much nicer...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Neepawa, Canada
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We always stay here in Winnipeg. The front desk staff is top notch (I forgot to use a discount coupon and the lady credited us on our next visit a couple months later! That is great service.) The rooms are always clean, the morning breakfast is great; more than fills us for the day. On weekdays it could last a hour later, though. Make sure you get a west facing room, as they are much quieter. The first floor rooms have the great feature of the outside door, which makes for much easier access. Wish they still had the free movies from the machine in the lobby.

Room Tip: Choose the west side rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Minnesota
Reviewed 13 August 2013

When first seeing the hotel, and the industrial-type setting and cramped parking, I wondered if I had made a mistake in booking this hotel. It was really a pleasant surprise to have extremely friendly staff, a clean and very comfortable room, a great breakfast in the morning, a choice of free newspapers AND free internet for my laptop and our 2 tablets. Even though this is an "airport" location, it was easily accessible to downtown and to the stadium for the Paul McCartney concert (who really rocked, by the way). Recommended...a very pleasant surprise.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Reviewed 24 July 2013

This motel offers free breakfast that's pretty good, reasonable rates, spacious rooms, courteous, friendly staff. My only complaint was that the carpet was very worn and dirty, but they seem to be in the process of removing and replacing them. I would recommend this motel to all.

Room Tip: Spend the little bit extra and opt for a suite, it doesn't cost that much more and gives you ext...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Lima, Peru
Reviewed 28 June 2013

My husband and I stayed here recently using our Club Carlson points. We had a queen room and I was very pleased with how clean the room was when we arrived. The beds were comfortable and overall the hotel was very quiet. We had seamless, efficient service on both check-in and check-out and the staff was friendly.
Two main downsides to this hotel: First, the overall look of the hotel is dated and doesn't give a great first impression...I was nervous (though pleasantly surprised!) about what our room would be like while checking in. Second, while having complimentary continental breakfast is a great feature, it ends early on weekdays (9 am) and we missed it since we had a very late flight arrival the night before. On holidays I don't want to have to set an alarm to make it to breakfast!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple