“Consistent.”

Ranked #15 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Edmonton, Canada
“Consistent.”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I've been staying here for 2 years now every time I'm in Winnipeg.

Definitely needs a reno but the service makes up for the "old" of the hotel. Front desk staff are great, especially the guy they have working every time I check in (usually on Mondays) in the evening.

Internet is not good if you need to work a lot in the room.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My sister and I flew to Winnipeg from Toronto to join a tournament and one of our team mates got me a deal with the hotel. Upon arriving, we were not sure whether we were in the correct hotel as it seemed too old from the outside. When we entered, we were greeted pleasantly by the amazing staff and were offered cookies. The jar says "pick one" but we ended up taking 2 each because it was really good!

The staff were friendly and accomodating. They answered all our questions and gave us helpful directions. The room was neat and clean and the bed was comfortable. Since we just flew out from another trip, we forgot to bring some toiletries. I can not believe that the hotel had nail clippers! Our breakfast was awesome as well. We stayed at this hotel for 2 days and each day they cleaned our room very well. The staff treated us like we were family. I guess that's the reason why the hotel looked like a "home".

After our sport tournament, our friends stopped by and the staff pleasantly greeted them as well. I can not say anything bad about the people. As I have said in the title, Do not judge a hotel from the outside.

Leaving the hotel, I promised the staff I would give them a great review as they deserved it!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Thank Wonderingtravel... L
Reviewed 11 April 2014

My husband and I stayed for a couple of nights. Upon arriving, the outside looked somewhat tired, but our room had been recently renovated and was great. The woman at the front desk (sorry I didn't catch her name) was extremely helpful and pleasant upon checking in. And the gal when checking out was being inundated with calls and check-out guests, but kept calm and very pleasant through it all. I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone. This is a smaller Country Inn and Suites than I have stayed at previously, but it was very quiet and clean. We used reward points to keep the cost down and stayed in a king suite.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Faith H, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Winnipeg, MB, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thank you for taking the to share your experience! I am thrilled to see that you enjoyed your time at the hotel! I have shared your compliments with our associate and I am pleased that you enjoyed our staff service. Thank you for acknowledging them as our associates are committed to provide caring, consistent service for our guests so they can experience a comfortable stay. We hope to see you again in the future!
Saskatoon
Reviewed 11 November 2013

A nice place to stay, it was fine and the staff was friendly. Close to the forks, parliament and the downtown area. Generally a good experience. The free breakfast was a nice addition as many hotels often don't have this option.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Hartland, Canada
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I am an avid Nascar fan and wanted to watch the race Sunday, October 27. I checked three other hotels to see if they carried the channel and was promptly told "no". When I went into Country Inn & Suites the gal was more than cooperative and showed me the listings. I would have stayed there even if the race was not on because this gal was so helpful and did it all with a smile.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Coquitlam, BC
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I wasn't sure what to expect having never stayed at a hotel near the Winnipeg airport before.

I was pleased to find that there wasn't any noise from planes during the night.

Even though I stayed on two different nights, my stays were short (12am to 6am) and therefore I didn't use the gym or other facilities.

When I first arrived I was pleasantly greeted by the night-shift clerk (Faith). She was quick and friendly as she handed me my pre-printed receipt (I paid online) and my pre-programmed room keys. Very nice not to have to wait and give tonnes of details before checking in.

I was also happy to see the free tea, coffee and cookies they have in the lobby 24/7. A nice cup of tea in the morning and at night really makes a big difference.

Unfortunately, once I left the lobby area (which is very clean, open and welcoming) I was able to see where the renovations stopped - the hallway. The carpets were visibly old, worn and dirty. The elevator up to my floor was reliable but it's older than me for sure. Upon arriving at my floor I noticed that it was in no better condition than the main floor. The hallway was clean but the dark brown doors, poor lighting and dirty carpet were less than welcoming. Some simple light upgrades would make a big difference here.

My room was much better - clearly an older building but it was well maintained. I didn't see any rust, odd stains, missing items, etc. I left my shoes on since I didn't trust the cleanliness of the carpet but the rest was all pretty good. I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

The bed was comfy and big, the room was quiet (as far as outside noise was concerned) and the climate control was easy to find. The chief complaint I have is the HVAC system. The air conditioner was extremely noisy and when I switched it to heat mode, it didn't improve the noise much. However, this is not the only hotel where I've experience that.

The TV(s) are nice, with Shaw cable providing a decent selection of channels.

In the morning I was able to enjoy a nice, well laid-out, plentiful continental breakfast. I runs 6am-9am in the lobby. There's make-your-own waffles (batter dispenser and waffle iron), several juices, milk, tea & coffee, oatmeal, bagels, muffins, cereal...a lot of options. I didn't leave hungry.

Checkout was even simpler - the clerk (Faith) actually brought me my checkout papers as I was eating breakfast so I didn't have to line up to get it.

Great service all around - I didn't meet a single staff member who gave me anything but excellent hospitality.

While the hotel could use some renovations it's definitely somewhere I'd considering staying again purely due to the great experience.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more for the single king room with a separate bedroom (I stayed in 218). It was much nicer...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Neepawa, Canada
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We always stay here in Winnipeg. The front desk staff is top notch (I forgot to use a discount coupon and the lady credited us on our next visit a couple months later! That is great service.) The rooms are always clean, the morning breakfast is great; more than fills us for the day. On weekdays it could last a hour later, though. Make sure you get a west facing room, as they are much quieter. The first floor rooms have the great feature of the outside door, which makes for much easier access. Wish they still had the free movies from the machine in the lobby.

Room Tip: Choose the west side rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple