“Excellent experience!”

Fairmont Winnipeg
Ranked #6 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
“Excellent experience!”
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here several times for business & have always been impressed by the exceptional service. The rooms are clean & the beds are very comfortable, so I can be assured I'll be getting a good night sleep.
The lounge is a great place for a casual dinner too. I definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013
Pascale R, Executive Office at Fairmont Winnipeg, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Thank you for your review! I’m delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay. Our guest rooms have recently been renovated and we have been receiving lots of positive feedback. Likewise, our Lounge is the perfect place for a relaxed casual dinner and is especially popular with the business crowd.
Thank you again.
Executive Office

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Stay away from this place. All you/the paying guest are to this hotel is a money machine. The first thing is there is a payment of $15 for wifi. Or "free" when you join their club, give them ALL your details, then I suspect they will sell them for $15 one way or another they will get the money. We were in six hotels this trip, all the others were free wifi. And free water, this place $7. There was a row when a guest was checking out, they said he had used the mini bar. He said he hadn't all he'd done was move things around to get his own water in the fridge. They have got chips on the bottom of each bottle! $50 for breakfast, my wife had tea and toast,I had a little more. You are charged by the cup for tea and coffee. All the other hotels, drink as much as you like. Stay Away

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Barry B
Thank you for your review and I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay. We do offer premium complimentary Wi-Fi to our Fairmont President’s Club members; however, I can assure you that we do not under any circumstances sell your details to any third parties. This is purely a perk for Fairmont President’s Club members. I was also sorry to hear that you did not feel our prices were fair. Please be assured that we set our prices in line with current industry standards. I apologise for any issues you experienced and I hope that despite this, we might be able to welcome you back to the Fairmont Winnipeg in the future.
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Just stayed at the Fairmont this week for 1 night. We had stayed at this hotel approximately 13 years ago and had a wonderful room which was alot nicer than this one. This time, was on the 11th floor and found the traffic noise very loud - was by the elevator as well which didn't help. Yes, could have asked for a different room, however it was just for 1 night, so didn't want to make a fuss and didn't think it would be too bad. The room could use a little updating. Both the tub and sink were very slow in draining, and the shower pressure was very low. The bed/pillows were quite comfortable however and the room was very clean.

We ate at the lounge in the hotel, which had excellent food. The next morning, ate at their main restaurant, and it was a little more costly - $13 for coffee and toast or muffin but you are staying downtown!

I would stay here again but it probably would not be one of my first choices for Winnipeg. We have stayed at other hotels in Winnipeg which we found to be better.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. Please accept my sincerest apologies that your stay was disturbed due to noise. A noisy elevator is the last thing you want to hear when you’re trying to relax in your room. I was pleased however, to note that you had enjoyed the food. As Winnipeg’s only four diamond restaurant we strive to food that is above and beyond expectations.
Lajord
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I stayed in this hotel during one of my business trips. Taxi cost to travel from the airport to this hotel was approx $20.00. This luxury hotel was really nice and clean. Bed was comfortable. I stayed in room 1107 which was located near an elevator, ice machine and room was facing the downtown traffic. Even though the room was on the 11th floor you could still hear the traffic noise loud and clear. (Walls didn't seem to keep the noise out.) Staff was great in all area's of the hotel. The restaurant in the hotel was expensive but the food was great. (Ex: Cost of rye toast, jam and tea $14.00) Lounge food was really good and everything was reasonably priced. Hotel's location is nice as it's near a park.

Room Tip: Rooms away from traffic would be quieter. Stay away from elevators and ice machines if you are a lig...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
It sounds like you had a wonderful stay. Thank you for taking time to send us some feedback on it. Our Lounge is very popular for food, especially our new selection of gourmet sandwiches and burgers. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed 13 October 2013

There is no need to echo the fact that this is Winnipeg's premier hotel, the staff is absolutely impeccable, and so on and so on and so on. Therefore I don't want to come off slamming this hotel as it is superlative.

However, there are some flaws which rank from minor to one that is literally and potentially FATAL. Yes, you read correctly. Let's start from minor and go up to OMG!

1) The rooms are tiny. There are hotels at 1/3 the price in Winnipeg with much larger and more comfortable rooms. They're clearly a 6 dressed up as a 9 as they may seem impressive when you walk in but soon you're wondering just why you're being charged well $250 a nite with tax. There is no bathtub and although the shower is very nice, there are some of us who want a bath. The hot water system is completely unacceptable. It can take over a minute to get any hot water out at all which is unforgivable in a hotel of this price. And this is funny: the chair by the fairly small desk makes a very loud farting sound when you sit on it which is very disconcerting (it's the air blasting out of the chair upholstery vent). Considering you're paying Dubai prices you're getting a really disappointing room in Winnipeg.

2) Hyper expensive doesn't even come close to describing the prices of EVERYTHING in this place. Take a look at the room service menu, or the minibar prices, or the cost of the drinks at the lounge and you realize that you could easily spend $500 a day just to stay and eat here. Sorry, but for that kind of money I'll stay on the Champs D'elysee or the Ginza District, not the Oasis on the Prairie.

3) The internet is a total joke. You charge me $250 a nite and then not only do you extort me for another $15 a day for internet BUT you place a FRAME atop my browser that not only keeps bugging me to pay DOUBLE for some idiotic thing called PREMIUM INTERNET (since for your $15 a day you're getting pretty darn close to dialup speed) but worst of all stops the loading of many major websites? Whoever thought this was a good idea should be relegated to peeling potatoes in the basement for all eternity. This place is across the street from the MTS building which offers much faster internet than this to anyone in Winnipeg for $20 a MONTH! The Fairmont's internet is an unconscionable bald faced RIP OFF. Period.

4) Here comes the fatal: Go up to the 21st floor. Jump in the pool. Go about 1/3 the way into the shallow end towards the deep end facing the windows. About a foot below the water level on the side wall of the pool there is an intake hole about the size of a tennis ball. Run your hand across it. Congratulations, you now have at least one broken finger. The suction of this completely unbaffled, unshielded, unprotected hole in the pool wall is so strong that it will pull your finger right into it, even backwards as happened to me. It's been well over a week now and my hand is still bruised. But... fingers are nothing. Can you imagine if a child with long hair happened to be swimming or playing by the wall and their hair got sucked into this? Their head would be held underwater and the only way to get them out would be to jump into the pool with scissors and cut their hair off to save their lives. How in the WORLD has this ridiculous problem not been rectified in the years that this hotel has been standing? Why is there no cover, baffle, shield of any kind, but just a big hole in the pool side wall waiting to injure or kill you? I have never in my life been in any property anywhere in the world (and I've been around...) with such an outright dangerous problem!

The Fairmont is a schismatic hotel. Sure it's nice, but nowhere near as nice as the pricetag in a market such as Winnipeg would have it. For your several hundred bucks a day you get a tiny room, no tub, eternal hot water wait, farting chairs, the worst internet experience ever, and a chance to lose your finger or even your life.

Next time I'm in Winnipeg you can bet I'll stay at any of the other nice, comfortable, big-roomed hotels with tubs and free decent internet and no killer rip offs or killer pools.

Room Tip: Win the lottery or stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Pascale R, Executive Office at Fairmont Winnipeg, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Thank you for your detailed feedback. I appreciate your comments and I can understand where you are coming from. I would love to be able to discuss this in person if you could e-mail me on Pascale.rocher@fairmont.com. Thank you for raising the issue with the pool. It turned out to be a faulty valve and both our General Manager and Chief Engineer have inspected the problem and we in the process of swiftly fixing it. I’m also happy to say that our Fairmont President’s Club members receive complimentary internet. Our Fairmont President’s club loyalty is free to join and you can do so here: https://www.fairmont.com/fpc/
Toronto,
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Pros:
- Great service. Left / forgot my iPad in the room on check-out but housekeeping was able to arrange to have the iPad delivered to the airport via a cab. Amazing service. Highly commendable. Especially to Joseph from housekeeping who was able to arrange my iPad to be delivered to the airport.
- Clean rooms - fairmont quality. Great soaps, etc. Modern bathrooms with classic feel.
- Super friendly staff. Great service.
- Bellman greets you by your name (as found on the luggage tag) as you get out of the cab. Great service.
- I am a platinum member so I got to borrow a BMW bike to use and check out the Forks. Great perk.
- Only 2 min walk away from the Exchange area where there is lots of restaurants
- Was able to get my room upgraded as Fairmont President's Club platinum using a certificate. Also was able to check out late.

Cons:
- Internet is REALLY SLOW. Serious upgrades need to be made here - bandwith needs to be improved to accomodate the evening traffic. It is impossible to check emails at 7PM at night - pages load 20% then stop loading. Things just do not load - even after you refresh. Forget about youtube or any "advanced" sites. I've phoned to complain but there was nothing they can do. Make sure you know where the restaurants with wifi/starbucks are as you will probably need to use the free wifi. The wifi speed improves during the day, but between 5PM and 11PM you better find somewhere else to get wifi. The speed is slower than hotels I've stayed at in Africa... the internet simply doesnt work.

Because of the slow internet, I am rating the hotel 3 out of 5. I cannot recommend this hotel to any business traveller due to the slow internet in evenings - internet is key, and Fairmont management should know this. But if the internet improves, the hotel has superb service and great rooms.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the main road will be exposed to the blue neon lights outside.
1 Thank coolioblob
Pascale R, Executive Office at Fairmont Winnipeg, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed review. I appreciate you weighing up both the pros and cons. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the issues you faced with our internet. We recognize that there have been certain problems lately and are doing our utmost to resolve them as fast as possible with as little impact as possible on our guests. I was pleased to note, however that you were able to take advantage of our Fairmont President’s Club benefits, in particular the BMW bikes. We are close to many fantastic and scenic city bike routes that many of guests take advantage of.
Austin, TX
Reviewed 1 October 2013

It’s been awhile since I’ve been able to stay at a Fairmont property, but got the chance recently when I was sent to Winnipeg on business. There was miscommunication about what was and wasn’t supposed to be charged in terms of incidentals deposit, which resulted in my personal account being frozen since the incidentals do not go on the corporate card and I was staying for quite a length of time. [I had wanted what had been done at another Fairmont property, which was a minimal hold and then locking of the minibar, since I have no interest in the pleasures of the minibar.] The staff, however, were utterly fabulous at getting this resolved with my bank. Kudos to them for their service. They definitely lived up and surpassed the expectations one thinks of when thinking of a Fairmont property.

The room was spacious and had lots of light. It was a smoking room, unfortunately, because there were no non-smoking rooms available, but the smokers who had stayed there previously were not chain smokers evidently as there was only a slight stale tobacco smell that dissipated once I turned the thermostat down and the fan up to more comfortable levels. Any heavier evidence of smoking though would have required me to vacate the room.

Even though the room was on an upper floor, there was no lack of water pressure and showers were pleasant and relaxing. The one thing I did notice was a very significant chip in the tub which had been clumsily repaired with a non-matching color. Normally, I don’t notice such things, but the chip was large enough (about quarter-sized) and the color mismatch distinctive enough that I noticed, especially since it’s right in the eyeline as you look down when you are showering.

The Fairmont is downtown and much of downtown is easily accessible from the hotel without ever leaving the indoors, thanks to Winnipeg’s covered walkway system. It makes the 1.5 km trek to the office much more pleasant, at any rate. There is some slight street noise that filters through but nothing obtrusive or constant. A good night’s sleep is definitely able to be had.
I shall be returning to Winnipeg frequently over the next month and into next year, and am hoping that I will get to be a repeat guest at The Fairmont, if hotel availability cooperates. I am hoping to be able to add another star onto the rating when I get a non-smoking room.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter and insulated from downtown noise. City view rooms have lots of light, es...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
We always enjoy receiving reviews that are thoughtful and insightfully written. Thank you for taking the time to write this. It sounds like you had a great trip, due in part to the efforts of our front desk staff. Service is definitely something we get complimented on frequently. I will be sure to share your comments with the rest of our colleagues. Thank you for your feedback and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Fairmont Winnipeg in the future.
Kind regards,