“Nice rooms but...”

Ranked #8 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Vancouver, Canada
“Nice rooms but...”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was very impressed with the cleanliness and appointment of the modern room I had on the eighth floor. Not much of a view. It's not necessarily the hotel's fault per se, but there is very little open after seven PM in terms of shops or stores near the hotel. It's right at portage and main, but this is Winnipeg and that's the kind of downtown you have here. My one major complaint however is with Internet connectivity. First, the hotel charges $25 a day which is outrageous and indefensible. You can get complimentary internet if you are a member of the President's club. However, despite a strong signal, the wifi pipe is so small the service was unusable.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Pascale R, Executive Office at The Fairmont Winnipeg, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you for your feedback and please accept my apologies for the weak wi-fi signal. We are currently working with our ownership group to improve the issue. If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me directly at Pascale.rocher@fairmont.com.
Executive Office

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Markham, Canada
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Recently stayed here in June. Close to where we were going. Room was clean and everything was perfect. Doormen were very professional. Always there to get you a cab or arrange whatever you needed. Counter staff were very good. Great business hotel. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Right at the crossroads of portage and main. Close to the arena as well.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
It sounds like you have a wonderful visit during your recent business trip to Winnipeg. We are fortunate to have such a prime location in the city with direct access to several of the major meeting and convention sites.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Housekeeping standards in my room and the general condition of the room left a lot to be desired.
I was very disappointed and this was certainly not what I expected from this leading hotel chain.

Unfortunately not HRH approved

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback in regards to our rooms. We are excited about our upcoming renovations and the improvements to our rooms. Please feel free to contact me directly at Pascale.rocher@fairmont.com when you next visit and I will be happy to discuss your concerns and ensure you have a comfortable stay.
Calgary
Reviewed 10 June 2014

The staff of The Fairmont Winnipeg made our stay memorable. Don't miss out on dining at The Velvet Glove. Our meals there were wonderful and wait staff are amazing. We highly recommend this hotel!A+++++

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your review! I’m delighted you an A+ experience! This is certainly what we aim to provide our guests.
Kind regards,
Canada
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I have to say this is the best hotel that my family has ever stayed at and we have travelled North America extensively. The staff are amazing from the valet, the front desk, the dining room, to the cleaning staff. We went to the Velvet Gove for lunch on Saturday afternoon and found it to be closed. Rather than eat in the lounge with my ten year old daughter, MARIA seated us in the restaurant and treated my daughter like a princess. It was our very own private dining room. The valets are friendly, happy, and know your name every single time! NEM is wonderful. He welcomed us with open arms - literally. I love the way you are made to feel special at The Fairmont Winnipeg. The rooms and pillows are amazing...great sleep.

Room Tip: !1th floor rooms are perfect.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Pascale R, Executive Office at The Fairmont Winnipeg, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
We always enjoy hearing about unique experiences our guests have had at the hotel. Thank you for sharing this story and I am so pleased you had such an enjoyable lunch with your daughter, due in parts to the efforts of Maria. I will be certain to share these comments with the rest of our team.
Toronto
Reviewed 4 June 2014

A great conference hotel and comfortable place to stay with the family. The view form the pool is great. The food at the restaurant was excellent but the breakfast was a little pricey. Great staff at the hotel more than make up for it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for sharing your feedback on recent conference stay at the hotel. At The Fairmont Winnipeg it is our aim to provide warm, sincere and engaging service. I am delighted you were able to experience this service from our colleagues.
Toronto
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Speaking at a conference there recently.

Had booked a Corner King room. Arrived, admittedly, early around 10.30 am on a Friday. None of those rooms available. Couldn't tell me when a room would be available because "Housekeeping doesn't like it when we pressure them. They've all been assigned their rooms ... " Very disappointing from a Fairmont to a President Club member. Ended up taking a regular room. It was OK nothing at all special. Furniture looked worn as did finishes though I was told it was a renovated room. Workspace was OK. As a President Club member I got free internet. Sleep was great, comfy bed, nice and quiet.

Meeting spaces were a disappointment although, again, apparently recently renovated. Couldn't find anyone to adjust the lighting. Need more fresh air.

Didn't get my promised paper in the morning ... probably because I had preregistered online for the King Corner and then they moved me. In-room dining for breakfast was great and the fellow who delivered went and got a Globe and Mail for me, apologizing for the mixup ... good recovery. The 2 eggs breakfast with breakfast potatoes, toast, coffee and juice was excellent, though pricey.

I was speaking all morning, past checkout, so decided to check out before 8. Couldn't get the TV checkout to work. Then happened to check email and spotted the "No time to check out? No worries." from the Fairmont. Pretty much one click checkout. Excellent. They promptly emailed the final invoice. Done. Great feature. One that more hotels should be using.

So, next time in Winnipeg, might go for the Fairmont again ... good central location right near the Exchange and the rest of Downtown. Though the Fort Garry has always been nice, and an easy walk to The Forks, and now the new Canadian Museum of Human Rights that opens Sept 2014.

Room Tip: Try for a King Corner.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Pascale R, Executive Office at The Fairmont Winnipeg, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am sorry for the frustration you experienced during your check in and I will be following up internally to ensure this sort of experience does not occur again. Should your travels bring you to Winnipeg again, please contact me at Pascale.rocher@fairmont.com so I can ensure you stay is flawless.