“Older Building - Great Service”
Review of Fairmont Winnipeg

Fairmont Winnipeg
Ranked #7 of 64 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Although not required for the purpose of my trip, I decided to stay downtown and treat myself to a stay at the Fairmont. It was my second stay at this hotel. I was kindly greeted and told that I had been upgraded to the Entrée Gold Floor on the 19th floor and I should proceed to check in.

Eileen took care of my immediate and ongoing needs from the time I checked in. I enjoyed the complimentary hors d'oeuvres and continental breakfast.

There were renovations going on in the same floor that were obvious to those on my fllor but it did not affect my stay. The rooms were recently renovated and well appointed even though you could still tell it was an older building.

Overall, it was a very pleasant stay. The service was great and extra touches such as slippers are always very nice!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Pascale R, Executive Office at Fairmont Winnipeg, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Hi Jason,
Thank you so much for your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you decided to treat yourself to stay at our hotel and that we lived up to your expectations. I do apologise that we were undergoing renovations during your stay, but I can assure you we are doing our utmost to limit the impact this has on our guests. Thank you for your comments on Eileen. I will be certain to pass them onto her and the rest of our Fairmont Gold team. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

There are newer reviews for Fairmont Winnipeg

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Hotel was very nice, but it was under construction. Staff is very professional and have an amazing smiles. The only annoying thing is that the yseem to be always in your room, at least 3 to 4 times a day. It gets very annoying after awhile.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Hi Don,
Thank you for taking the time to share some feedback on Fairmont Gold. I’m pleased you had a pleasant visit and I will be sure to share your comments accordingly.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Without question the Fairmont Winnipeg is a fantastic place to stay, the beds are like sleeping on a cloud, incredible location in the Downtown area and the best hotel staff I have ever had the chance to meet. However when you charge $12 for a bowl of cornflakes it is clear that your just taking advantage of people, it's a great place if you have got cash to splash but if you don't want to spend $60 on a burger I would suggest looking at other options.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Pascale R, Executive Office at Fairmont Winnipeg, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thanks for sharing feedback on your recent stay. I can certainly agree that we have splendid beds and they are often the high light of our guests stay. We do appreciate your comments on our food prices and I have shared them with our food and beverage management team. Please be assured that your comments will be taken into consideration as we move forward to satisfy the changing demands of our clientele and their purpose for travel. Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.
Warm regards,

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We only stayed (1) night at the Fairmont Winnipeg. Although, we didn't utilize all there was to offer at the Fairrmont, we still really enjoyed our stay. I was impressed, of how helpful all the Staff were. We booked an Urban Package, and it really was a Great value. There's a choice of either Valet Parking, or Park Yourself. This Fairmont is currently under Renovations, but when it's completed, it'll be outstanding.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
Pascale R, Executive Office at Fairmont Winnipeg, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Hello Pat,
Thank you for your review. I am so pleased you were able to take advantage of our Urban Escape package. You are right, it really is fantastic value, however we always enjoy receiving feedback from our guests. Our renovations should be all wrapped up by October and I do hope you have the opportunity to return to the hotel and experience the completed product.
Thank you again for the review.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 9 August 2014

The hotel staff was both friendly and helpful. The room was extremely comfortable and quiet. I attended a luncheon at the hotel that was attended by about 700 people. The food & service was exceptional for a large gathering. The hotel provided free papers each morning, one local and one national.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Lloyd K
Pascale R, Executive Office at Fairmont Winnipeg, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Thank you for the review Lloyd! I am so pleased we were able to make your first stay memorable and that you enjoyed our food. I do hope you will be returning to our lovely city and the Fairmont in the future.
Warm regards,

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Don't get too excited that you are staying at a Fairmont as it does not compare to other Fairmont locations. I can only compare to the other Fairmont properties in Vancouver, Whistler and Seattle. First off the lobby is extremely underwhelming and they may want to consider replacing their worn out couches. Stayed on the 20th Floor and the room had a nice view. The room itself is also underwhelming and the fan in the room is extremely loud. The bathroom is quite nice and the shower had good water pressure. During one day, there was a strong odor coming into my room that smelled like a kitchen. There is no kitchen anywhere near the 20th floor so I am not sure where the smell was coming from but I would imagine it is fromt he ventilation. I addressed it to the dront desk and when I came back the smell was gone.

The breakfast is way overpriced and not good value for money. $30 for an omlette and orange juice is steep and it wasn't that good either. No turn down service unless requested and no complimentary water in the room like at the Fairmont Pacific Rim, rather you can pay $7 for a bottle of water.

I would not recommend staying here for the price they charge, but then again I am told this is the nicest place in Winnipeg.

Room Tip: Request a higher room as the hotel is going through some much needed renovations.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Dear Akash,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We certainly appreciate our guest’s feedback. Please accept my sincerest apologies for your disappointment in the hotel, especially in the lobby, the room and the food. In regards to the food, please be assured that I have bought your comments forward to our Food and beverage management team to address accordingly. In regards to the lobby, we are currently renovating it to bring it up to the standard you have come to expect from Fairmont properties. Akash, it would be my pleasure to chat about these issues further if you wish to contact me at Pascale.rocher@fairmont.com.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The Winnipeg Fairmont is very good, and could be excellent. Staff are friendly and efficient. The location is excellent. You can walk to good restaurants, the new Museum of Human Rights ,and just about anywhere central. It is a modern building which gives generous light filled rooms. The hotel suffers from the ubiquitous " hotel traditional " aesthetic and is in need of a lift . It is to be hoped that Fairmont looks to the modern original building and exciting contemporary hotels, rather than maintaining its generic traditional style .

• Stayed: June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I can certainly appreciate your comments that there are areas of the hotel which need a “lift.” I am pleased to note that we are currently undergoing renovations to our lobby, restaurant, and Fairmont Gold floors. I have no doubt that you will be pleased with the finish product in October and find that it is more aligned with the contemporary feel you prefer. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back later this year to enjoy our enhancements.
Kind regards,