“Pleasant Stay”

Ranked #55 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Winnipeg, Canada
“Pleasant Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

The staff were courteous and helpful and our room was nice. The kids had a great time in the pool and waterslide. Its location made it very convenient for shopping and to the downtown area. Included was a very nice free breakfast. I had no issues and will stay again next time.

Room Tip: Business floor is very nice.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Chris D, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Alison D,

I’m glad that you and the kids enjoyed your stay at The Marlborough Hotel, and that you could have some fun in the pool and waterslide.

We look forward to seeing you again!

The Marlborough Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

The Marlborough is showing its age a bit. After all it is 99 years old and I guess we'll all be looking a bit decrepid by then! But, we found the room to be quite adequate, the bed comfortable and the bathroom clean. The staff were exceptionally good at providing service rapidly and cheerfully. If you are looking for an inexpensive hotel in the heart of Winnipeg, The Marlborough would be hard to beat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a Business Class floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Neil B,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on your most recent stay at The Marlborough Hotel. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to our staff.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed in Winnipeg for one night before getting on the train to Churchill.

The front desk staff are all very friendly. The double bed room was pretty small but clean. Considering the price, it's pretty decent value. The only complaint is the room next to us was really noisy and the sound proof is not the best.

While checking out, we booked for another night for when we return from Churchill. The staff gave us an upgraded spacious suite for the same price.

It's not the fanciest hotel but serves it's purpose with the reasonable price.

• Stayed November 2013
Chris D, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear Tania Liu,
Thank you for your comments on your stay at the hotel, and I hope you enjoyed Churchill and got to see some Polar Bears!
I am glad that you found our staff friendly. We do pride ourselves on having fantastic caring staff and a good value.
I do apologize for the noise from the room beside you – a quick call to our front desk can usually put a stop to any excess noise.
Thank you for booking another night and I am glad you received a suite.
brooklyn
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

stay here if you dare... that is, if you don't mind, a squeaky mattress, paper thin walls, mis-matched shower curtain rings, faint stains on your towels and non-fitted bottom sheets and the dull pulse of the adjacent nightclub. bright, yellow tiled bathroom may make up for the intermittent hot-cold shower temperature changes.

there is nothing historical about the interior of the hotel, so take a good look at the "historic" facade before you walk in.

it feels like a motel 6. I'd "'peg" the value at about $60 US, so really, you're paying for the facade.

two people at the airport told me that it "is filled with drunks sometimes."

it did seem like a good location for our weekend there. bonus that it was not far from an indie theatre and some vintage furniture shops. and that we lived to tell!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Dear nomadita,
It seems it has been some time since you have stayed with us since your last visit was in December of 2012 - that’s a long time between stay and review. I do welcome your comments regardless of when you stayed. We have transitioned to pillow top mattresses and I assure you none of them squeak – perhaps that was the frame itself? Our curved shower bars all have matching curtain rings. We do have a lounge on site for our guests use but I wouldn’t define it as a night club – perhaps the theater across the way?
We are happy to remove and replace any “stained” towels or linen as sometimes it gets missed.
The Marlborough Hotel

Travellers are raving about these Winnipeg hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

We went to Winnipeg for a unpink weekend. Seeing that Pink had been canceled. We got to the hotel. We were greeted by scary people outside. The wives stayed in the vehicle as the men checked in. The woman were already scared, locking the doors in fear.

Going into the place, the staff were friendly but the building deffinately needs a do over. Walls and floors are dirty/wore out. The room windows would not close properly. Blinds had holes in them. Beds looked comfortable but we didn't stay to find out as we felt unsafe and dirty. To top it off we had to argue with the assistant Manager to cancel our room. We walked out and happy we did. That horrible gut feeling!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Woodtick27,
I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel regarding your almost stay at the hotel. I have spoken directly with those involved to prevent future issues such as those reported. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel to discuss your comments further.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

I wanted something close to downtown for shopping and found this hotel had a reasonable rate. When we pulled up to the hotel, there were 12 or so shady looking people standing around the hotel. My first instinct said, "RUN!!" While I was unloading my suitcase, I overheard one of them asking a man passing by if he could bum a smoke or had spare change. When we entered the lobby of the hotel, it was very big and beautiful.......until I noticed about 12 more shady looking people sitting on the couches and chairs. The carpets are stained badly and I could smell a lot of alcohol on some of the people. AGHHHH! I was freaking out inside!! We went up to our room and the room was nice. Just had a bit of an issue with the bathroom because it smelled sooooo bad of urine. I thought about packing up and leaving because it was only my sister and I in the room. We were a bit afraid but didn't want to have to pay to go somewhere else. We went to the drug store and purchased Lysol and sprayed it all over the toilet and floor. That worked! Later that evening we wanted to see a movie but where a little concerned about who was all hanging around the outside of the hotel when we returned. Not sure why the hotel allows this? We decided to go swimming and on the way to the pool, we passed a drunk man sitting in the lobby on the second floor. He was saying stuff to us but not sure what?!? I noticed a security guard at the front door and was polite . The staff are very nice here as well but I was just to busy freaking out about all the characters hanging around inside and outside. I did not feel safe here at all. We probably will not stay here again unless I bring male bodyguards....haha! If no one ever hears from me again, start looking at this hotel :)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank melissa r
Dear Freaked out at first,

I am sorry if your room was not clean upon your arrival – I wish that you had notified our front desk staff so we could have relocated you to a similar or upgraded room. Housekeeping would have immediately been there to clean the bathroom – you should not have had to. Our security staff is there to ensure that our guests feel safe and if at any time you didn’t feel that way our staff will assist as best we can. We do not allow loitering in front or in the hotel – our departments will be reminded to moitor the high traffic areas to prevent this.

Thanks for taking the time to comment,
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a wedding for one night.
I stayed in a superior room and it is small. There is two small rooms with the bathroom in the middle. One room is a pullout couch and the other room has a queen sized bed both rooms had a tv.
The bathroom is small and when I tried the cold faucet, it never got cold instead got hotter in both tub and sink.
But despite all this I found the bed comfy but it was always cold in the room despite the heat being on. And one other thing when I got to the room I could distinctly hear some piano playing above the room. Only for a few minutes, I thought that was odd. I checked out the next day.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Cathy K,
I am a little surprised by the comment that the 2 room suite that you stayed in was small as they are well over 350 sq feet with an enclosed bedroom and separate living area with the pull out couch you mentioned. I do apologize if there were issues with the hot and cold water – our maintenance department would have been happy to assist. I am glad you found the bed comfortable – pillow top does make a difference as well as our Manitoba made duvets.
I am not sure what would have caused you to hear a piano playing – perhaps one of our musically inclined guests?

Thanks for your comments,