“Not that great.”

Ranked #57 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Only great thing was the price, but thats it. Hotel room was actually really dirty and was in need of some repairs. The lobby and hallways looked like they were in much need of some TLC as well. There were a lot of unsavoury characters hanging around the hotel that made me feel very uncomfortable, so I wouldn't exactly recommend this place for families. It was also very loud. Lots of people running around in the corridors late at night which woke me up and kept me awake a couple of different time. Really, everything about this place just had a really shady atmosphere. I'm really not fussy with hotel rooms, but I wouldn't stay here again unless there was nothing else available and I was more on the desperate side.

Room Tip: Not a family place by far. If you're comfortable walking by some creepy looking characters, then...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Chris D, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear SabrinaErlendson,

I am sorry that The Marlborough Hotel did not meet your expectations from your visit back in June of 2013. As a high volume hotel there are occasions when the volume in the hotel is above normal. As the only hotel in downtown Winnipeg with a pool and waterslide we do have a number of families visit us and we think we are a family friendly hotel.

I hope you reconsider and give us another try – as you mentioned we do have a great price for a downtown hotel.

Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

Great location .. Great service.. Quality daily breakfast and food services. Clean .. Attentive considerate cleaning staff. Attached pub the Reagle Beagle great place to unwind and friendly service! Management is top notch and goes the extra mile to accommodate. Great pool and exercise facilities. This is truly one of the Best Hotel Winnipeg offers for value. You are always welcomed with the niceties that takes the weariness of travel away! As as travel professional highly reccomend this property!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Marno 70,

Thank you for your comments from your visit to The Marlborough Hotel in January. I am glad to read that our staff went the extra mile for your visit.

We look forward to seeing you again,

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 9 days during the curling Olympic trials and found that it was acceptable. It depends on your expectations. Rooms were small like a new York city hotel, and as far as people lingering outside of the hotel, it is downtown and they are all over not just at this hotel. I walked at night outside and it was quite safe, the people outside did not bother me in anyway. Again you get that pretty well in the downtown area of any hotels.. The entrance was beautiful and kept well. One of the elevators broke our first day and was fixed by the end of the day. In the 60's I am sure this was a grand hotel. If you were staying in your room for any length of time this hotel would not be for you. If as in our case it was basically for sleeping this hotel was perfect to stay at and the hotel had a really awesome breakfast which was included. The staff at the front desk bent over backwards to do anything and everything to make our stay enjoyable. I had a child screaming all day & evening the first night, mentioned it the next morning and it was taken care of immediately. They were moved to a different area and there was no more problems with my room after that. As I said it was a place to sleep. In our bathroom our toilet did not have a lid as it was an industrial one that you would see in a mall. Having said that though my friend was in another room down the hall and she had a nice bathroom with a toilet seat. Again if you can get past it for the price it was well worth staying there. If you want the fancy hotel amenities then this hotel is not for you. I was more concerned by the lack of places to eat in the area than anything, there was very little restaurants but was quite pleased the hotel restaurant served both lunch and dinner and very affordable and decent portions. I would definately stay at this hotel again if I was going to go to the MTS centre ever again.

1  Thank travelling-grandma-9

Dear Travelling-grandma-9
Thank you for offering you comments on your visit to Winnipeg and The Marlborough Hotel. I am pleased that the hotel met your needs over the 9 days you were here and I hope you enjoyed the Roar of the Rings (as well as the complimentary hot breakfast!) . We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

Attended a function held at the Marlborough and found it mediocre at best. Didn't feel safe going outside on my own and the parkade across the street is a great place to leave your car if you want it damaged, and your possessions stolen. No help from the hotel either. They don't even have security cameras in the parkade, even though it belongs to them. Look elsewhere if you want a SAFE place to stay.

2  Thank HankNorth
Chris D, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear HankNorth,

I do need to make a correction on your behalf. We do not own the parkade across from the hotel nor any parking lot in the area of the hotel. I can empathize with you if something happened to your vehicle but The Marlborough Hotel does not own the lot. If there was an issue with parking in that lot the, hotel can provide you with the contact information. As for the safety of the hotel we are staffed 24 hours a day for our guest’s safety. I’m sorry if you did not feel safe traveling outside in downtown Winnipeg. There is a safe walk program available for future downtown visits.

If you require the contact information for the parking lot please feel free to contact the hotel.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

We stayed here because it is in walking distance to the MTS centre. We travel extensively and stay in hotels on a regular basis. We are not high maintenance people. Lets start with the outside entrance. This hotel is located in downtown Winnipeg and there are a lot of less fortunate people in the area. For personal safety you should not walk outside alone after dark in this area. The hotel has a security person on duty and its a shame he doesn't clear the beggars from the entrance of the hotel. The rooms are very dated and the first one we were in was not very clean. The heat stopped working in our first room and we got froze out so moved to another room. The shower went from scalding hot to freezing cold in 10 seconds and it was really hard to control. The toilet was hard to flush. We were a group and had five rooms, they were all about the same. One of our group had to move because of a water line break in their bathroom. Late one night the fire alarm went off and everyone evacuated only to find out it was a prank. They advertise the rooms as being renovated, but the five rooms our group had were not recently renovated. On a positive note the free breakfast was fresh cooked, not continental and was quite good. This hotel is very old and budget priced so I believe we got what we paid for.

Dear Travelcanada9

Thank you for commenting on your stay at the hotel. I apologize if there were times when there were people outside the hotel that were bothering you. Our security does maintain the front entrance area but are occasionally looking after the inside of the hotel as well. Our maintenance staff would be happy to correct the heat and flushing issues you encountered. As for the late night fire alarm unfortunately people do pull fire stations as a joke – and we do have to treat each one as if it was a real emergency – I am sorry that your evening was disrupted.

I’m glad you enjoyed your meals in Joanna’s café and I hope that your 6 night stay was a positive one.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

My Wife and I were going to a concert and wanted a place close by ,the Marlborough was within walking distance so we didn't have to waste money on a cab or more parking.It is a very hold hotel and it shows but the staff every where we went were excellent,the room was clean ,the bathrooms had all necessities and the restaurant had very good food and at a fair price,also keep in mind the complimentary breakfast was excellent and included everything served by great staff.As stated before by another reviewer ,if You are looking for an inexpensive hotel downtown this is the place to go ,I only have two warning ,don,t park in the parking garage across the road go to the open parking on the north side ,for 15.00 you can park for 24 hours as for the parkade it would cost you less to rent a room for your car,second if you have trouble to enter the room with your key card some handles you have to lift for them to work,I found out thank,s to a nice lady down the hall

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Yvan C

From the staff and Management of The Marlborough Hotel thank you for taking the time to post your comments on your last stay. You have certainly highlighted the hotel in a brief statement. We do pride ourselves on being an inexpensive hotel in downtown Winnipeg that has great food and service and a comfortable bed.

Thanks again,

Reviewed 1 December 2013

The staff was really nice - we were trying to pull up the hotels.com offer and they basically just gave us a discount that matched the internet price. That was nice. The room we got kinda smelled like pee, but that could be overlooked because we were so tired and it was only one night in our huge trip across Canada. Small room, good wifi, and a waterslide. We tried to use the jacuzzi but a child kept splashing my friend without their parents doing anything about it - so we left. Andrew WK thinks this hotel is haunted, so I hear. Also, a HUGE fight broke out in front of the hotel right as we were getting dropped off. Police came and everything. Kind of a shady area, but we are from the USA so it didn't seem so bad to us.

If you want a decent place that'll let you take a nap and stay warm, this is it. It wasn't very pricey, either.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear LaurenOfTheValley,

Thank you for the honest comments. I’m sorry if there was an odour in the room – we would have been happy to find you another room so our housekeeping staff can look after the problem. I’m glad you enjoyed most of the pool and waterslide.

Thanks again and hope to see you on your way back across Canada.