“Know what you're getting into”

The Marlborough Hotel
Ranked #54 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Ottawa, Canada
“Know what you're getting into”
Reviewed 8 October 2010

The Marlborough is not for everybody, so be sure to know what you're getting into. Other reviews here recommend to stay clear from this hotel, but if you're low-budget and do not mind putting up with some stuff, the Marlborough is pretty decent.

Our room was spacious (two double beds) although it hasn't been renovated since the 80s. The bathroom was cozy, but the tub was chipped and the water from the sink faucet came out brown at times. My partner drank from that tap and didn't feel sick, so it must be safe, but these are things you need to be aware.

The hotel is pretty quiet, although the walls are a bit on the thin side, so if you have very loud neighbours, you might hear them. The most annoying thing for us was the pipe humming and somebody above us was using the water. It last for a couple of seconds (and never happened at night), but that's the kind of stuff you get for the cheapest rooms in town.

There is a pool (not for swimming - too shallow and in a shape) and a waterslide that is great for the kids. They also have a very good hottub that I especially enjoyed.

Some reviews here have talked about the rude staff, but nothing happened to us. They were friendly and helpful.

The highlight of the Marlborough is it breakfast that is included in the price. It is a limited menu, but even vegetarians will find some fruit plate. We had the eggs and bacon and it was delicious. Beware: it's a busy spot and service might be a bit longer than it should.

As for Internet, the hotel is WiFi and it's free! This is a great bonus!

So all in all, it is a decent hotel if you're looking for something cheap and are not bothered by chipping tubs and a little bit of noise. The most important thing for us is the cleanliness and good night sleep, and that's what we got. However, if I were going back to Winnipeg, I would probably look into other options. But sometimes, when you travel on a budget, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank joseph34

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Canada
Reviewed 3 October 2010

Located downtown - this is one of the largest assets this hotel has going for it. Homeless people loitering the front door what comes along with this. Security guard stands duty 24/7 at door.

Hotel is old and needs renovation. Rooms are basic, but considering that in August I had trouble adequately getting the heater to work I wonder how cold the rooms are in winter. Blankets are paper thin and carpets are worn. Rooms are very dark.

Staff are alright. It was nice of them to always call a cab for me when I was leaving. Internet was good. Overall, if you must stay downtown it's not a bad choice. However, if you are staying more than a day or two this hotel will take a toll on you. It's not very comfortable or somewhere you look forward to going later in the day.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank incidents

Travellers are raving about these Winnipeg hotels

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 3 October 2010

I was scared to stay here, since all the reviews are were so horrible, but it turned out to be an awesome experience. It was clean and tidy. Comparing it to a 5 star hotel, it obviously has a little bit of wear and tear, but over all it was wonderful. We ended up changing rooms, because our bed frame's foot broke when we sat on the edge of the bed- and we were a little mad!! But, they were so quick to move us to an upgraded suite with even more amenities , for the same price. The Night life is very upbeat around the area, and we didn't have any problems. The pool and slide added to our fun as well!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cm2673
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 27 September 2010

Dirty, dingy, noisy, musty smell, dirty water from the taps, two fights on my floor, homeless beggars out front (security guard permanently posted to keep them out). Spend the extra buck and stay at the Fairmont

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank monkeyman66
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 21 July 2010

We stayed four nights there, in town for a friend's wedding on the 5th. We booked through Expedia. The hotel location was excellent, right downtown, within walking distance of a few blocks to the bar/nightlife area, which worked out for the bachellor party. I did have issues with them overcharging me. They tried to say that I spent an additional night, which I did not. When checking out, the front desk person would not give me a receipt saying that "well, we can't let you see what you paid." what? "well, you paid one price to Expedia and they pay us, so we can't let you see what they paid us." Ok, fine. We were in a hurry to get to the airport, so I didn't argue because I knew that I charged it on my Amex and they have that guarantee that if there's a dispute, they'll correct it. So after about a week of calls back and forth from Canada to the US (I made sure I had their 800 #) with the manager I finally got my refund.

We were supposed to have free parking with our booking, and when we asked about validation at the front desk for the parking lot across the street, we were told that the deal was no longer valid. We had to pay for parking. I think it was about $5 for overnight since we weren't around during the day, we tried to just check in as late as possible.

Breakfast downstairs in Joanna's Cafe was complimentary with our booking and you had a choice of the usual eggs, bacon, ham, pancakes, etc. I tried one sampling mix each day and they were all fine. Service at breakfast is slow and not too chipper.

We liked the fact that the hotel had a swimming pool with a water slide, even though we didn't use it. It looked to be clean and had lots of space.

The building itself is unique built in a Gothic and Renaissance style, opened in 1914. There's a weird locked door near the basement that's part of some club? They had a pictorial history of The Marlborough on the walls in the lobby. The dining area had pretty stained glass windows. The Regal Beagle Pub downstairs in the lobby has neat tin ceiling tiles and wooden decor, typical of pubs. We didn't have drinks there, just looked around.

They say the hotel is haunted and you're supposed to be able to see the ghost in the stained glass windows. Ask a local, apparently everybody knows about it!

The only redeeming factor to this hotel was the awesome gift shop girl. I can't remember her name, but she's the brunette one with glasses. She had lots to tell us of the history of Winnipeg, the First Nations People of Canada, and the area. She recommended a great Ethiopian restaurant down the street.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Susanna S
Ottawa,Ontario
Reviewed 23 May 2010

It was one of those hotels that I have not stayed in for a long time. My room was filthy, bed very uncomfortable, shower did not work properly and room was so tiny. This hotel needs a total reno. Checked out as soon as other accomodation was confirmed. An Experience in itself!! Did take photos, just unsure if i really want to post them!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank hereandthere99
John_PerrinWinnipeg, Public Relations Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience during your recent visit. We sincerely regret we failed to satisfy your expectations.
At The Marlborough, while our rooms are somewhat dated in terms of décor, we take pride in providing clean and comfortable accommodation with a full range of amenities, good service and good value in the heart of downtown Winnipeg. As an historic building, many of our Standard guestrooms are smaller than in today’s newer hotels, but most guests tell us they offer good value. Our Superior rooms, on the other hand, are among the largest regular hotel rooms in the city. Our Housekeeping Department has been repeatedly recognized for doing an excellent job and over 80% of our beds feature new Simmons pillow-top mattresses.
Any problems with room size, housekeeping, bed comfort, shower operation or any other matter affecting your satisfaction with your stay should have been rectified by our staff immediately upon receiving your complaint.
Unfortunately, we have been unable to determine whether you complained to us about these issues and cannot identify the room you occupied. If you did complain to us, I sincerely apologize for our obvious failure to meet our own established service standards by immediately providing a satisfactory response.
Thank you again for your comments. Once again, I apologize sincerely for our failure to provide a satisfactory accommodation experience. If there is anything further we can do to address your concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Yours sincerely,
Mike Episcopo
the great white north
Reviewed 17 May 2010

As others have said, I read alot of the reviews prior to staying here and here is my experience. I was on a conference with 6 adults and 33 teenagers, ages 16-19, this hotel was the only one that would allow us all to stay on one floor, which was excellent. When you arrive at the hotel you can tell that in its day this must have been a grand place, they have kept the ball room in its original spendor and it is a beautiful room. The actual rooms are a little tired, but if you are the kind of person who wants a clean comfortable place to stay for not alot of money, close to all the shopping and ammenities this is a great place to stay. There was also the complimentary breakfast that was hot and fast and with that many teenagers that was definitly a bonus for this hotel. The staff did their best to make our stay as pleasent as possible. One last note, on the last night of our stay, there was a very large wedding being held in the hotel and lets just say if it is good enough for a previous Govenor General of Canada to attend a wedding there, I guess that it is good enough for me.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business