“Repeated disappointment”

The Nook & Cranny
Ranked #675 of 1,639 Restaurants in Winnipeg
Cuisines: American, Canadian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
winnipeg
“Repeated disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

This was our third visit to this establishment since it became The Nook & Cranny.We had been regular customers of the previous est.(Shmeckers)for decades.They were known for great food,and great service.We had hopes for the new owners,but our third visit has sealed it's fate in our minds.The menu is pricey.The portions are small(if they are not sold out of what you want),and the restuarant looks unloved.I.E burnt out lights,moisture in the ceilings,dirty bathrooms.....etc.Too bad considering the potential.

• Visited January 2013

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
“Just an average eating experience.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

Nothing much stands out. The atmosphere is just cold feeling. The food is okay.

Winnipeg, Canada
“Not as cosy as the original Nook, but good food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

My husband and I are creatures of habit. We love The Nook on Sherbrooke and everything about it-from the wait to get in, to the crowded tables, to the delicious food and the cheery waitresses who always have a coffee pot at the end of the arm.

It is not that the Nook and Cranny does not have these things but the coziness and neighbourhood atmosphere that we were hoping for, just was not there.

My husband couldn't decide between the cinnamon bun French toast and eggs, so he ordered both-one of the many reasons why I love the guy (he has always known what he wants).

The eggs came with toast and hash browns and he was content. Actually, he was quite impressed with the French toast and commented how resourceful they were for finding a use for excess buns.

I was in a more decadent mood that Sunday morning and ordered the asparagus omelet and a side of ham. Ill admit, it was because it came with hollandaise that I was tempted. Turned out that the asparagus was the star on the plate-bright, bright green and prepared to a perfect el dente. My hash browns also came extra crispy as I requested. This may seem to be in the small points department but it was huge for me.

So all in all, we had a lovely breakfast, we just have a preference for what feels more like home to us in the original Nook.

For photos and more detail, please feel free to check out my blogpost at:http://foodmusings.ca/restaurants/nook-and-cranny/

Visited February 2012
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

I found the prices high for food that was just average. The ceilings in the restaurant are very high and this creates a lot of echoing noise. If you are at a table it can be hard to hear your fellow diner.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Ribs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

Service was friendly and made you feel like home. Leisurely pace allows clients to relax and enjoy. Never felt rushed.
had the rack of ribs. Best ribs I ever had. Full rack is more than enough for a hungry person. Salade was fresh. Price was excellent.
Well worth your time to try the Nook and Cranny.

• Visited October 2011