“Fish till your arm falls off!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Winnipeg
Aikens Lake Wilderness Lodge
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We did a self guided trip, two of us, cooked our own shore lunch and dined every night at the lodge with the other folks! It was an amazing adventure and the fishing, lodge, food, and service are second to NONE! If you are a newbie, I would go guided!!!! Great Place!

Paul

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
aikenslake, Guest Relations Manager at Aikens Lake Wilderness Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Thank you for the great review, Paul! We're glad you had a great time at Aikens this summer. We sure enjoyed the songs you sang - very entertaining! We hope to see you back at the lodge soon. Maybe by canoe?

Take care,

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Though I've been to several lodges in Manitoba over the years this was the most upscale service oriented of them all! The cabins were roomy, comfortable, clean and updated. Coffee was brought to us each morning at 6:30! The cabin was cleaned, vacuumed and beds made up when we got back to the lodge after fishing each day. The dining room, bar and conference areas were also roomy, comfortable and well staffed. Let them know ahead of time what your favorite beverage is and they'll have available for you! The food was outstanding including the daily shore lunches for our large group (~24). Breakfast was off the menu or fixed however you desired. The staff was very friendly, efficient and accommodating. Our guides were knowledgable and up for whatever adventure we wanted to take on for the day. The fishing varied day to day but overall was good. On any given day some boats or fishermen hit the the lode while others didn't fare as well...but that's fishing isn't it! The boats themselves were big Alaskans with plenty of power and technology on board. And the rods, reels and tackle the lodge supplied were very good but I prefer my own...everyone probably has their own favorite rod and lures as I do I'm sure. But if not they have what you need to get it done
I was there to attend the Cornhusker Canadian Clinical Conference (a medical conference) which was held at Aikens for the first time and it was superb and the lodge did an incredible job helping with the logistics, coordinating schedules, even keeping the bar open till after the evening presentations! I would highly recommend Aikens and am looking forward to next years trip!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
aikenslake, Guest Relations Manager at Aikens Lake Wilderness Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for taking the time to write an awesome review. We are glad that you had such a great time at Aikens! Hosting the CCCC this past summer was really fun for all of us too. We're looking forward to hosting the conference again this year!

We'll see you on the dock in July!
Take care,

Reviewed 15 December 2013

The accommodations at Aikens were magnificent and the food was outstanding. We had a great conference and the staff made the stay very entertaining. This was our first medical conference at Aikens and it was well attended. I plan to bring more of my own equipment next time, even though they have plenty of fishing equipment. This was my first experience with the guides. I would like the opportunity to work with more than one guide during my stay. A first rate place!

Room Tip: I will bring more of my own equipment to try out on the lake.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Hi Leslie,

Thanks for the great review! We really appreciate it.

We're happy that you had a great time at the conference. We had a blast hosting all of you! We're looking forward to hosting the CCCC again this summer, and we hope that we'll see you there.

Thanks again! Take care.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

This was my first time fly-in fishing and I sure hope it will not be the last! We had a great time, the fishing, the people the accommodations, the guides and absolutely everything was 1st class. I highly recommend Aikens, Pit and his team have really got a great thing going.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
aikenslake, Guest Relations Manager at Aikens Lake Wilderness Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

We're glad that you were finally able to see first hand what the "Aikens Experience" is all about! And we are so happy that you had such a great trip. Thanks for the great review, and we'll see you at the lodge this summer!

Take care!

Reviewed 11 December 2013

I took my 18 year old son to Aikens. Unfortunately, my son woke up sick the day of our departure. Half of his trip was spent in bed. Of course, I was not able to fully enjoy my time there during his illness. The staff did what they could to help my boy out but it was just one of those things that simply just had to run its course. We did get to fish one full day together and had a blast. Being from Minnesota and used to catching many walleyes, we were thrilled with the fact that the average size of the fish we caught was about 22 to 24". We did not catch any really big fish and we lovingly blame that on our guide, Elliot. He did try many things and spots in the search for more and bigger fish. That is why the call it "Fishing" and not "Catching". Although I think we caught our share. The food was more than we expected. Everything that was put in front of us to eat or drink was of the highest quality and taste. The service provided was very attentive and timely.

I would recommend this trip to anyone who wants to have a complete turn-key fishing trip. All the best is what you get at Aikens. I hope someday my son takes me back there.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Hi John,

Thanks for the great review. We're happy you enjoyed your stay at Aikens this summer. It's really too bad that Josh was feeling under the weather for most of it... but we're glad that he was able to bounce back and get out on the lake a little bit!

We hope to see you both at the lodge soon. Take care!

Reviewed 11 December 2013

I have taken 2-3 trips to Canada and /or Alaska every year for 20+ years. My gang prefers pike fishing so Aikens was not on our radar. But twice I've hosted trips to Aikens for husband/wives/kids and they were great. First, the lake size is small enough that a 30-40 minute trip is the max, which means a lot more fishing time. Second, the lake wasn't crowded. Third, shore lunches were the best in all my experiences (Cajon breading? Really?). Fourth, if weather is tough, you can fish the large bay off the docks all day and just clobber the walleyes (wifey caught a 28" wally there). A huge waterfall is just 10 minutes away. Fifth, no problem fishing after dinner. Sixth, guides are optional for cost conscious people. Seventh, wildlife shows up now and then. We've twice had bears hang out at shore lunches, saw a moose or two or three several hundred feet south of camp. There was a rumor that the camp had it on a long leash for client enjoyment but not true. Eighth, I've found it a lot cheaper to drive from Minneapolis to the camp's float plane base than paying air fares for a large party. Also, the Powerview Motel which is the closest to the float plane base has a quality indoor waterslide and pool. Ninth, it makes it a lot easier in planning a trip to have the flexibility to pick the number of days and arrival/departure dates. Tenth, this is the classiest camp I've been to...quality cabins, lodge, boats, dock, fishing gear. The camp staff and guides are very friendly and Patrick was GREAT with my 11 and 13 year old g-kids. Fishing....probably the best wally fishing I've experienced...steady catches of mid 20 inch wallys. We chased northerns also and got a bunch of 35-39 inchers. Lastly, while we were busy fishing, the guides were taking pictures of us. At the end of the trip, we got a flash drive with both our pictures and camp photos of sunsets/wildlife/aerial views etc. that we made into SmugMug books for everyone....plus we each got a large photo with each person's big fish. Great touch.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Hi Mike!

Thank you for your kind words. We are glad that you enjoyed your vacation with us. It was equally as fun hosting your gang! We hope to see you at the lake soon.

Take care!

Reviewed 24 August 2013

Going to Aikens Lake Wilderness Lodge is like dying and going to fishing heaven.

I took my dad on a 4-day trip and we loved every minute of our time at Aikens Lake Wilderness Lodge. The entire staff worked hard to help make this trip such a special father-son memory.

Our guide was so personable and fun to spend the day with, and he was focused on us -- making sure we were catching fish and having fun. He even left a marker out for us on a hot spot at the end of each day so we could go out by ourselves using Aikens' gear and tackle and easily have spectacular fishing at night by ourselves.

As an angler, you spend your whole life praying that a paradise like Aikens really does exist and that "someday" you'll get to experience it. When you then catch four walleyes over 25 inches in your first 75 minutes fishing on Monday morning you realize your faith has been justified and such a place is real.

All the praise you hear about Aikens is warranted. It lived up to the hype and then some.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family