“Hotel Okay BUT Watch Out For Front Office Supervisor Aimee”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Winnipeg
Ranked #29 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Thompson
“Hotel Okay BUT Watch Out For Front Office Supervisor Aimee”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. Upon arrival we loved the decor of this hotel. Nice bright lime green makes it feel cheerful and modern decor gives this new hotel a fresh feel. Check in was smooth and quick. It seemed a little strange that we didn't have to sign anything and only had to give a credit card for them to swipe which they didn't even ask for ID to verify that the card was ours.

I found the room to be somewhat on the small side when compared to other hotels in the area. They claim the room was a standard queen/queen but it seemed more like a double/double. I was suprised to see no mini-fridge in the room which was quite disappointing given the rate per night. The decor again was very modern and up to date as it should be for a newly built hotel. The heat/air conditioner in our room was very dysfunctional. No matter how high we put the "heat" up to it still blew cold air. Finally we switched the wall panel from farenheit to celcius which seemed to fix the issue and warm air filled the room. The only problem once the heat actually worked was that the wall unit was extremely loud. Every time it turned on in the night it sounded like a jet engine was starting up. I'd expect something a little quieter. We could also hear traffic and the train from our room. It wasn't as disturbing as the heat unit was but still somewhat noticeable.

The pool/waterslide was a hit with the kids. They spent a fair amount of time swimming and having fun there during our 3 night stay. I was particularly fond of how the pool became progressively deeper so that one could find the depth they wanted and just swim around there (perfect for smaller children). I did notice that there was frequently no towels available in the swimming area so we had to go ask at the front desk for some. Also, the sign on the pool door indicates that the pool closes at 10pm yet in the hotel information book provided in the room it says it's open until 11pm. I'm still not sure which piece of info is correct.

The continental breakfast was good but did not vary from morning to morning. It had apples, muffins, bagels, english muffins, hardboiled eggs, scrambled eggs, sausages, and a waffle making station. While the waffle making station is a nice touch it can sometimes be difficult to get a waffle as there is only one iron and the line can get quite long at times. Other than that it was nice. The gentleman that looked after the breakfast area was very friendly and helpful. Definitely a nice way to start your day.

Now on to the Front Office Supervisor, Aimee. This woman was an absolute nightmare to deal with. I would think that it pained her to be pleasant....if she smiled her face might crack. She was very abrupt and often boarded on rude. She nearly tackled me one night when I had a pizza delivered and went to wave the kids out of the pool from the window at the door. It's clearly labeled on the pool door that food/drink are not allowed in this area and I can read perfectly fine, yet Aimee insisted on chasing me (yes she ran) to let me know that I couldn't take my pizza in there. Further, one evening after swimming we went to ask for extra room towels at the front desk since they only ever gave us 3 even though there were 4 of us in the room. The kids had the towels from the pool and intended on returning them there after we got the room towels but Aimee rudely told us that those towels are to remain in the pool area. These are small cold children for crying out loud! Have a little compassion you crank pot! Another incident was at the pool another night. We had went to the front desk to ask for some towels at the pool. She said she'd bring some in. When she came to bring some in she came over to us and again asked us what we wanted. We told her we needed "x" number of towels. She threw them down on our table and told us "make sure you leave them here" and gave us a snotty look. There were other instances of her rudeness that I could go on about but I'm sure you get my point.

Overall I would be hesitant to stay at this hotel again as I feel that I can get more bang for my buck elsewhere...I also wouldn't have to deal with Aimee!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank North_of_Fiftyfive
fairfieldwinnipeg, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Winnipeg, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Thank you for your candid feedback outlining the range of experiences that you encountered during your stay at our hotel, we have taken many of your comments to use as training tools from which to learn.

All of your comments have been fully shared with my team, and Aimee has subsequently been given a little personal time with which to rest and recharge; I am very pleased to say she is back to her beautiful friendly self.

I am pleased to note also that you have booked some more rooms your childrens sports team back at the hotel since this visit, and that we have once again won your confidence. Thank you again for giving us the chance to address your issues and learn from our shortcomings

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Korean first
Brandon, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

I stayed at tithe Fairfield inn for 1 night, as the usual hotel I use was full. The hotel is very new, so is in great condition. I had a 2 queen room, that felt a little small, but was very clean and well appointed. I used the excessive room at 7am in the morning, it had very nice treadmills, and a tvs on each treadmill and elliptical.The included breakfast was top notch, with many options.

The hotel is located closer to winnipegs major shopping area and the airport.

Overall I was very impressed and I will stay here again

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank derloc12
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such great feedback regarding your recent stay, it is always great to hear all guest comments. Your comments have been shared with all of our team, this always adds to the huge sense of pride everyone takes in this brand new hotel; thanks again!
Regina, SK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

It is always nice to stay in a new hotel. It hasn't as yet had the tar kicked out of it! This is a big plus. At the same time there were a few concerns that may or may not be resolved once the kicks are worked out.

The parking lot is dimly lit and has signs about potential vehicle safety issues. More lighting might be helpful.

The air handling unit in the room was annoyingly loud; probably faulty, in need of repair.

There was only one robe in the room. Housekeeping took it and did not replace it. When we called to have one supplied it was supplied, without the belt, with narry a word of apology. In fact, the person bringing the robe to the room was somewhat sullen.

Housekeeping did not replace the coffee creamer supplies in the room. We needed to call them for that as well.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OhToRLX
fairfieldwinnipeg, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Winnipeg, responded to this review, 25 May 2012
Thank you so much for giving us your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel, it is always very beneficial for our team to hear homest comments. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the fact that the hotel is very new and comfortable, but have taken the housekeeping problems up with the team, and re-focused them on their attention to detail, it is these small details that make the difference between average and excellent.

In regards to your comments about the parking lot lighting, we always take the security of our guests seriously, and although we have 18 flood lights in the parking lot, as a result of your comments, we have introduced a policy whereby any guests that wish, will be accompanied to their car, by a member of staff, or may have a valet service should they wish.

Thanks again for your feedback and giving me the opportunity to address your concerns.
Manitoba
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

We stayed with extended family on the Spring Break weekend. The Fairfield staff was very helpful. We enjoyed the full continental breakfast, late check out (noon) and great pool area the kids loved. Only concern was the chlorine level seemed very high in the pool area and the water was quite chilly, but the kids didn't complain.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
fairfieldwinnipeg, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Winnipeg, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Thank you so much for choosing to stay at our hotel. We are all very pleased to learn that you had a comfortable and relaxing stay. We particularly appreciate the fact that you took the time to comment on your experience and to share your thoughts with others. We are proud of our hotel and our staff and feel even more proud when our valued guests take the time to comment in this way. I have shared your comments with our entire team. We look forward to being of service to you again in the future
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

Stayed at this hotel in late Feb, 2012.

The Meh: Check-in was fine but only one person was on and handling phone calls and live bodies. Overall it was okay but could’ve been better (more staff). Breakfast was okay, my first trip to the breakfast area resulted in cold eggs but as I went back in they were loading it back up and they were hot - it is what it is.

The very good: The room had two Queens, a good desk area, a dresser with massive drawers (I like that), nice size flat screen, mini fridge and some robes in the closet. Very nice. (see pics). Whoever pushed for good shuttle service should get a raise. This hotel is close to the airport (nice for some) but away from a lot of other things. They can and will shuttle you around. Sure, it takes awhile but in some cases the wait for the shuttle is less than that of a taxi (seriously). The bottom line is you may have to wait a bit for the shuttle, maybe even make a second call to make sure it is coming but it’s great if you’re on a budget and want to save a few $$. It’s a huge plus, I hope they don’t cut back on it to save money.

The not so good: My room overlooked a massive Walmart - no big deal on the view. But after 11:00 p.m. snow removal trucks hit the Walmart parking lot. First they started with small machinery in the tight areas followed by the big plows - the noise stopped at around 4:00 a.m. Obviously this isn’t the fault of the hotel but if you arrive with a lot of snow on the ground you may want to ask for a room opposite of the Walmart side. The front desk staff are hit and miss. As some reviewers have mentioned poor service and others it was very good. I was never treated badly but I think some staff are better than others. This isn’t anything that can’t be fixed via some training etc.

Anyway, I’m giving this a generous 4* as I don’t feel the snow plowing of the Walmart lot for hours was their fault but it drove me nuts. Some reviewers complained of a loud HVAC system - I would’ve loved that over the plow noise. I cranked the fan up on my system in hopes to drown out the sound, no such luck. I’m okay with steady background noise but not plow and stop, plow and stop. Lol

Check this one out as a good and less expensive alternative to the Hilton.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Moosomin, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

1st when booking 2 suites we were told we could get two rooms on the same floor. Checking in was told can',t only one suite on each floor, front desk woman was quite rude! Then there was no HOT breakfast as advertized, Then in the room info books stating that the pool is open 6am to 11pm they close the pool at 10pm. For the prices on these rooms it is better to stay elsewhere for less money and better service!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel for less money> Value for the dollar is not worth it here in winnipeg Fairfie...
Kenora, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

We stayed for one night and I'm glad it wasn't two. This is a fairly new structure and appears to be constructed from wood. I assume this from the sound of thumping feet carrying through the building. Because of its newness, the rooms are newly decorated and in good condition. This must be why the rate is as high as it is. It is a bit out of the way but you can see from the landscape outside that more development is being planned. It is a short drive to Polo Park Mall and a short walk to Walmart.
The heater/AC unit drove me crazy. When it kicked in, it sounded like a deisel locomotive was idling outside. Something was ticking inside the unit which kept me awake most of the night. I stared at the ceiling from 4 AM on. I found the bed uncomfortable but that might have been because I couldn't sleep.
The pool seems built more for small children. The main access simulates a beach and it is only about 1 metre deep. If you like swimming laps, this is not the pool for you. The waterslide is fun and you can feel some G-force before shooting out of the end. As fun as it is, I worry about someone getting hit if the pool is busy. There is a hot tub for adults that need a hot soak. We had to ask for pool towels. Mine had a big hole in the middle. Too much bleach I guess.
Continental breakfast was slightly above the norm as it offered scrambled eggs and sausages. There were only two flavours of jam and they were old. The jam was of the consistency of rubber pucks and unspreadible. Salt, pepper and ketchup was only available at the counter. It would have been nicer to have it available at the table or at least offer packets.
In summary, this is a nice, newer hotel with newly appointed rooms. It would be good for families with younger children. It has potential provided management heeds comments from its guests. The rate is slightly overinflated but hotels in Winnipeg seem to be always full on theweek-ends. It would not be my first choice but not my last either.

Room Tip: Try to get a top floor so you don't have to listen to feet pounding overhead. Ask to see the roo...
1 Thank Wade R