“Complete Room Fiasco”

Ranked #32 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Southington, Connecticut
“Complete Room Fiasco”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

It's a nice hotel, not far from the airport and near several restaurants and a major mall. But my experience actually getting into a room without issues was beyond belief. I checked in and went out for dinner. Upon my return, I turned on the TV to discover that only 5 channels were functioning. Called the front desk and they sent the maintenance person up there who didn't speak more than 5 words of English. He couldn't fix the problem and said "We replace TV tomorrow." That was an unacceptable response as it was no later than 9 or 10 pm. The front desk sent me to a different room, and in this one, the TV didn't work at all! Back for a third try. My third room was located next to an elevator (I specifically said keep me away from the elevator) and several kids were running up and down the corridor unsupervised. One of the front desk people who had gone up there with me told the kids to go back to their room which led me to believe they were hotel residents. The fourth try was the charm. I got a room that had functioning utilities. Hooray for me!!!

The front desk people were extremely apologetic. I dealt with a lady from England who did everything she could to fix the situation. Told me they were having trouble with the cable TV service in several rooms. It was just a crazy atmosphere -- there was a large musical group staying there and literally dozens of kids. As mentioned, many were running the halls. Made for a miserable arrival.

Upon checkout, I received a paper asking if everything was OK, and if not, could I please talk to the front desk before departure. I did so and the front desk person listened to my concerns. She gave me her email and said I'd get a free night's stay upon my next visit. But after such a miserable experience just trying to watch TV in a quiet room -- something you take for granted in a hotel -- why would I ever go back to this property?

Room Tip: Higher the better .. on one side you get a view of downtown Winnipeg.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Patrick M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Winnipeg, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Hoosier,
Greetings from Fairfield Inn & Suites!!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are very sorry to hear that your stay with us was not satisfactory as our guests’ feedback and comfort is highly valued.

We are currently conducting a building wide project to fix any short comings as we always want our rooms to be immaculate and everything in the room to be in working condition.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and we hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Patrick Martis
Hotel Manager
pmartis@fairfieldinnwinnipeg.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Korean first
Amherstburg, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I regularly stay at this property while in the city on business. The location is close to the airport, large shopping mall, restaurants, bars etc. The complimentary hot/cold breakfast is one of the better ones I have found in my travels and the room rates are reasonable. Parking is included and they have a complimentary shuttle to/from the airport as well to the shopping mall etc. The Hotel has just expanded their room capacity which shows they must be doing something right! Marriott Rewards loyalty program is one of the better programs as well! See you next Wednesday!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Packfanq
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

First time at the hotel with myself and my two children . The staff were excellent , very accommodating and helpful . The water slide made us all nauseous , for us it was just too much and the chlorine was more than I have ever experienced . My children's face were red and our eyes burned horribly .
The breakfast was decent but definitely needs a second waffle iron, waits were too long . Good experience overall . Hot tub was too hot to use but staff was there to get it fixed and was very friendly and kind . Clean Clean hotel

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 March 2014

It is evident that a lot of thought went into layout and design of this facility. Rooms are good size, bed very comfortable. Amazing FREE breakfast. Staff friendly and courteous. It was clear staff take pride in their work, the place was spotless. Did not go in pool but it appeared to be a hit with the kids.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sabine D
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We have stayed in this hotel in the past and it has been pretty good. We did encounter a couple of issues this time. The heater cover was loose and falling off. We called and it was fixed, but it must have been noticeable to the cleaning staff. The hot tub element was not working and the foam in the tub was probably 3 inches thick. The wall near the entrance of the room was quite dirty. I had booked the deal with the 25 dollar gas card and on checking in, was told that it would be made available on checkout.....kinda strange, as any other hotel incentive I have received was given at check in. Long story short, after waiting 25 min or so to try to get the gas card at checkout time ( they could not get into the safety deposit box where they kept them) I was told that I would receive a 25 dollar credit on my room.....didn't happen. Luckily I had asked for an e-mail receipt that arrived 2 days later, and NO CREDIT. I had to call back to the hotel and at this time I am waiting to see if the credit will be applied to my Card. This hotel is not cheap, and I have not stayed at it for the last year or so because of construction nearby, but I have seen a definite downturn since my last stay. With so many new hotels in the area, I would suggest trying another one. It is a fairly new place, but is prematurely showing its age.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank HeavyDB
Brandon
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Overall, we were happy when we stayed here..its a clean hotel that offers delicious free hot breakfast. Nice spacious rooms with comfortable beds. Lovely pool area for kids. Free shuttle service within 5km of hotel..would come back next time :)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Audiodrive
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel on a quick business trip to Winnipeg. It is obvious that construction is still taking place in parts of the hotel and so you have to deal with that.

My room was very clean and comfortable. It included a fridge, microwave, coffee maker, tv, nice desk chair and excellent wifi. Front desk staff were helpful and bill was under my door when I woke up. The breakfast was average and the coffee was okay.

My experience was the staff were eager to serve and working at getting everything up and running smoothly. I would have rated the hotel higher if the construction was finished and I did have a glitch with the tv.

I don't think you can go wrong staying at this hotel.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business