“A big improvement from last year”

Canad Inns Destination Centre Club Regent Casino Hotel
Ranked #46 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Fort Frances
“A big improvement from last year”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I reviewed the Regent casino hotel a year ago, I gave a poor review because of the condition of the room and service. We returned this year with a reduced rate and some perks due to my Trip Advisor review. The rooms this time were immaculate and the service at the front desk improved. The beds still not the best but ok. The bathroom was clean and amenities improved. I could not believe that the casino inside entrance was still not finished after a year. We had to dodge puddles through the walkway. We still like the fact that we can stay at a hotel attached to the casino--best part of Canadian hotels and casinos they are non-smoking. The hotel is close to good shopping--big box stores, restaurants and car dealers. It is easy access from the west off of Hyw 1. Will stay again when in Winnipeg.

Room Tip: higher up for quiet room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Susanna Gary B
Andrew M, General Manager at Canad Inns Destination Centre Club Regent Casino Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to review the hotel and share your comments.

We use all feedback as learning tools for our staff to continuously improve on our service delivery. We have shared your feedback with our team as an opportunity for improvement. We are looking forward to having the direct access back into the casino as this phase of the renovations are nearing completion.

On behalf of our entire staff here at Canad Inns Destination Centre Club Regent Casino Hotel we would like to thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Andrew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My husband and I stayed one night at this location as we were attending a concert next door. We had a room with 2 queen beds. Our room nbr. was 403, which was close to the elevator. The beds were very comfortable, there was a coffee pot, microwave and fridge but no freezer in our room. Our room was very clean except for this odor, which I think must have come from the carpet. We loved the toiletries which was in our bathroom. (Judith Jackson Spa products) I am sure once they clean the carpet the odor would be gone as I noticed some stains on the carpet. Great place to stay as they shuttle you to and from the hotel to the casino. Drivers were friendly, front desk staff were friendly. We ate at the Alto's Café the next am and hand the seniors breakfast 55 plus and still we couldn't finish our meal. Senior portions were large. We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: If you have difficulty walking you may want a room closer to the elevators like 400, 401, 403 etc...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tim1230
It's nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay and had an opportunity to see a concert at the new Club Regent Entertainment Facility. We look forward to this fall when the Centre will be 100%.

I have shared your comment with our Housekeeping Department and the odor had already been addressed.

Thank you again for taking the time to review the hotel!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The rooms look tired--need to be refreshed. Beds and pillows were uncomfortable. It was clean.
Unfortunately this chain is not pet friendly. The pool was mediocre.

The Altos restaurant was ok. It was dark and the buffet was mediocre also. However the restaurant on the lowest level of the casino was excellent with very well presented and very tasty buffet. Staff was very attentive.

The exercise room is definitely NOT state of the art. Dark, overheated, and too few machines.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dianna L
Thank you for taking the time to address your concerns with your recent stay.

On behalf of our team, I apologize for not meeting your expectations. I have used your comments as a learning opportunity with our associates.

One note though, this property does not offer a pool.

Thank you again.

Andrew

Travellers are raving about these Winnipeg hotels

Grand Forks, North Dakota
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This may have been a great hotel when it was new, but the rooms look aged. The shower is the newest item in the room.
My room had a king sized bed with a sleeper sofa. The sleeper sofa was circa 1980 plaid. Both the cushions on the sofa and the bed appeared to have been overused and in need of replacement. The other furniture in the room was dated as well. The edges of the chair/table legs were badly scarred and scraped.
The fitness center was described as "state of the art" which is misleading. The fitness center itself is a small, dark, warm room with one treadmill that's at least a decade old, one elliptical, one rowing machine and one stationary bicycle. It was the first time I've seen people negotiate taking turns on machines so they could all get some exercise in.
The first morning, I had a hard time getting my door open because the latch mechanism didn't work properly. On my way out of the hotel, I stopped at the front desk to explain the problem. I explained it and told the lady at the front desk my room number. She had completely ignored my entire explanation and asked me to repeat it. Her note for the maintenance personnel stated simply, "front door." It's not surprising that my door latch was still inoperable when I returned that evening.
It was hard to maintain a tolerable room temperature with the aged until mounted under the window. It was stifling and warm when I checked in so I turned the AC on. I alternated between warmish and freezing as it cycled on and off. It's very loud so you could opt to leave it on and leave your white noise machine at home.
I stayed here because my company booked this place. If I return it will be only due to having no control over my lodging selection.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kristi B
Thank you for taking to time to review the hotel and for sharing your thoughts recently.

On behalf of our entire staff here at Canad Inns Destination Centre Club Regent Casino Hotel, we apologize for the concerns you have about your experience here. We appreciate the feedback and use all feedback as learning tools with which to improve our service delivery.

We have a number of items on our product improvement list as well and can assure you that your items are being addressed.

Thank You once again.

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

In from Ontario, drove 13 hours for a funeral front staff was friendly and helped us find the best rate $112+tx. Did not sleep, had two beds, one was too hard woke up with a sore hip and back, the other was worn out.
Restaurant was ok a la cart food was nice and hot large selection in the breakfast buffet.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew M, General Manager at Canad Inns Destination Centre Club Regent Casino Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear Alsead;

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your comments - we are proud of our staff here and I know they are sincere when they work to exceed your expectations. I was disappointed to hear your sleep was not acceptable as we do take steps to ensure our guests have a great sleep. We keep extra pillow top mattresses and we have a regular schedule for replacing beds as we are waiting for another 16 Serta Pillow top mattresses currently on order. We know that bed comfort is a personal matter of preference and based on your comments we will investigate if there are any other solutions that can be offered for circumstances such as this.

Thanks again.

Rocky Mountain House, Canada
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We were in Winnipeg for a wedding and this was the designated hotel.

The hotel is showing its age a bit, however it was clean, the beds were comfortable and the rooms had decent TV, bar fridges and coffee makers.

There is a basic family style restaurant.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Andrew M, General Manager at Canad Inns Destination Centre Club Regent Casino Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Thank you David for taking the time to share your comments about the hotel.

We know that having a great sleep is important and that is why we maintain a regular bed exchange program.

Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon!

Brandon, Canada
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the last three weeks. The front end staff are very helpful and make the check in very easy. Rooms are average as you would expect from these hotels. Hotel is attached to the casino, would be easy to access the casino. I have not been in the casino so I cannot give any review. It may be somewhat overpriced for the area, $144 for a single for one night, seems a little expensive.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Andrew M, General Manager at Canad Inns Destination Centre Club Regent Casino Hotel, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.

We are looking forward to the Casino opening the new Entertainment Centre very soon which will reconnect the hotel.

While our Best Available Rate is purely market driven we always offer Seniors and CAA discounts to those falling within the categories. We also offer seasonal specials and packages throughout the year and are just about ready to start a pre-opening special.

Once again, we value your comments and thank you for giving us the opportunity to learn and improve.