“Great Place”

Ranked #23 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Red Lake, Canada
“Great Place”
Reviewed 20 July 2011

This is an excellent hotel right in downtown with great value. Very new and clean. Excellent breakfast selection each morning. Comfortable beds and pillows. Free parking. Short walk to the forks or the MTS Center. Friendly staff on the desk.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Reviewed 6 July 2011

Surprised husband with 1 night stay saturday evening for his birthday. Stayed at a whirlpool king room for only 129. I had paid in advance and saved 20$ cdn. Having a jacuzzi in suite is unbeatable.
Room is clean and free wifi is great. We thought that the hotel wasnt very full since it was quiet but at breakfast we found there are lots of people staying.
We asked for extra bathrobes and we got it with the next 5 mins.
Hot breakfast we had sausages and a lot of other variety of breakfast items.
Will surely stay again
Pool is nicely heated although sauna is a little dated.

• Stayed June 2011
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 July 2011

We just returned from a 6 night stay. The hotel is very nice, clean and offers a great breakfast selection! There are some hot items as well as the usual cereal, fruit and muffins/donuts. I found the selection to be above and beyond the average. The rooms are spacious (we had a king), as are the bathrooms. They offer neutrogena products for the bath, which were very nice. There was a large desk for the computer, and free wired and wireless internet. They had a computer/printer setup in the lobby so we were able to print our boarding passes prior to our departure. We didn't try the pool, but it looked nice. The central location is ideal, and convenient to all directions in the city. There was limited parking, but we were always able to find a place, and they had a security guard there, so we felt better about that. I definitely recommend this hotel, and we will certainly stay there again on our next visit to Winnipeg.

Room Tip: Main street side can be noisy.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 26 June 2011

We stayed 4 nights..and were given an upgrade to a suite.Cleanliness stood out as a priorirty.Desk staff were so helpful and pleasant as were the houskeeping staff.Breakfast was included and was great as were the ladies attending the breakfast buffet.Parking was FREE... this is unheard of in the downtown Winnipeg area.
Our stay at the hotel was 100% in all reagards.We would return for sure!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kenora1
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 21 June 2011

My sister and I stayed at the Humphry for 6 nights. We were very pleased with everything about the hotel. The location was good. A five minute walk to The Forks. Earls across the street. Ten minute walk to right downtown. We took in the Sunday night blues jam at the High and Lonesome on the corner of York and Main Street. Very colourful and welcoming.
Our room was clean and spacious. The beds were extremely comfortable. We liked the buffet breakfast although we would have preferred paper rather than styrofoam plates. We really appreciated the complimentary newspaper delivered to our door every morning and we took it down to read with breakfast. Tea and coffee was available all day in the breakfast area and we had a coffee pot in our room. The staff were helpful and friendly. the pool was clean but the water was too hot and the showers weren't the best. Guests included families, convention people, business people and a girl guide group. Free parking was the icing on the cake. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 15 June 2011

Our king studio was quiet, inviting, and comfortable for a multiple-day stay. Outdoor parking was included in the price. Breakfast selections were very good. Nice walk to The Forks.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 June 2011

We stayed for 4 nights for a business trip.

Day 1 - First night, requested a wake up call for 7 am and no one called. Luckily we woke up with enough time to get ready since this was a business trip. Told the reception about it and they said they will look into it. On our way back in the evening, our key card did not work. Reception changed the card and confirmed we will get a wake up call tomorrow morning. Our room was cleaned but no one vaccumed and there was garbage on the floor. The breakfast area was also not cleaned regularly.

Day 2 - Surprise surprise...no wake up call again! This was unacceptable and we complained again and this time I requested to speak with the manager directly. The front staff assured us they will talk to the manager (why was the manager invisible I dont understand). We were told our phone must have problems so they will fix it today (We were able to make calls from that phone so I dont understand this either but whatever).
My husband went to work and I stayed in the room that morning only to have another issue. The flush stopped working in the bathroom and I told the maid who had just entered. She wrote it down and went to inform someone. Then I was told the phone and flush need to be fixed while I am out. So I left for 3 hours. When I returned, my key didnt work. I went down and got it fixed and asked if the phone and washroom had been fixed. Well guess what, they had no record of my complaint and had to call the maintenance guy. I went back up only to find out my key was still not working.
I was fuming at this point and went down again and told them I am being very patient but they need to fix their communication issues among other things. This time a staff member went with me and fixed the key card. Oh and still no news on the flush! I went in only to find a dirty room so apparently the maid had disappeared completely!

This time I told them that I will make sure I record my experiences and that the hotel should understand at this rate I will never recommend this hotel to anyone. I got a knock 10 minutes later with a half-hearted apology and a gift basket. This again was not the manager and I would really like to know what he or she looks like! I got 2 water bottles, a bag of chips and 2 apples. And no compensation for the ongoing problems...

Then I get a call 15mins later that the bathroom had been fixed while I was away...well they just highlighted their own communication gaps since no one knew about this. The new maid I got that day (Joanne or Jo-Jo) was really nice and apologetic even though it was not her fault.

Day 3 - We get 2 wake up calls!!! One at 7 and the other one 5 mins later to confirm we got the wake up call :) This place is hilarious in how mismanaged they are. Every day was filled with problems and I told them I cant wait for the 2 days to be over. The maid service for today did not refill our supplies for soap and coffee and creamers. Again I had to call them and waited 25mins before someone came up. And the maid also did not take out the garbage from the room and bathroom. I saw her cart down the hall and asked her if someone else is coming. She came over and told me it was her room and she forgot. Really? it was overall a very careless service.

Day 4 - Whew! finally last day. Again we got 2 wake up calls....the second one to confirm someone had called. Pretty unprofessional.
I honestly feel they are a decent hotel but lack a good manager. This person did not take a single minute to come over and offer us an apology and unlike the other couple who reviewed this place, we were not offered any upgrades. Every single day was a problem and I was frustrated by the lack of customer service at the front desk. The staff really needs training on being more approachable (especially the lady who brought up the gift basket).

If you are lucky you wont have any problems. I had taken the time off to relax a little bit on this trip and this place ruined that for me. What they call a "fitness centre" is a small room with 2 treadmills (one made weird noises and shook all the time), one bike and one elliptical. A small wall mounted tv with a remote controller that didnt work.

NOT RECOMMENDED.

I will not be staying at this hotel ever again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business