“Great, for a volunteer organization.”

Prairie Dog Central Railway
Ranked #43 of 194 things to do in Winnipeg
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Took our 2 year old for a train ride. Lots of kids on the train, and a very family friendly atmosphere. Keep in mind, this thing is entirely run by volunteers. Train ride itself was Great. Its a completely straight track through the prairies, so it was sort of lacking scenery, but it is Winnipeg. The stop in Grosse Isle was ok. Maybe a bit long. But the kids love the miniature train and the animals. And they do let you tour the engine. It was sort of a pricey activity, so we probably won't do it again for a while, but I can only imahine how expensive it is to run an 1880's steam engine. Nothing bad to say about it. I hope it keeps running, it is a fairly unique opportunitty.

1  Thank AC_A340

Reviewed 20 July 2013

We went on the magic train. The train trip was ok, but it is definitely not for children who cannot sit still for 30 minutes. Our 3-year old was chomping at the bit towards the end. There was an infant on our car who cried a lot as well. At the stop, we watched the magic show which was good, and the little train ride for kids made a lot of kids happy. The volunteers on the train were all very nice and full of information. Would I go again? Not anytime soon, but in a few years. It did seem a bit pricey. I would try the train robbery or something like that next time. There are "emergency" restrooms on the train ( we didn't need them) , porta potties at the stop, and fair restroom at the station (FYI).

2  Thank hopeforsun
Reviewed 8 May 2013

There are some benefits to this outing, being from the area I think I have ridden on the prairie dog central three or four times in my lifetime. Many young children do find the ride fun, but easily do bore of it in a little while. There is very limited things to do while on board, and prices for each train ride continue to only climb higher. When you reach the location to deboard and walk around for an hour, you are bombarded by many people trying to see you merchandise. Touristy, though I don't think it is a very good representation of Manitoba's wonders

2  Thank desireeepenner
Reviewed 29 April 2013

We went on the Great Train Robbery Event, Halloween and the last time the train ran the Christmas ride. Its not quite the same as travelling on VIA Rail but it is a lot of fun for adults and children alike.

1  Thank Brenda A
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I have taken several trips on the PDC. I first took my children, and now take my grandchildren for outings. I admire the work and dedication of the volunteers that operate and maintain this marvellous piece of history. Some, if not all the cars, are over one hundred years old.

At the end of the line there is an opportunity to stretch your legs and purchase a lunch while the train reverses itself for the trip back to the station.

One tip for anyone who wants the experience of a steam engine, check to make sure they are not running the diesel that day. They interchange the steam and diesel engines to help preserve the old steamer.