“Comfortable and clean”

Ranked #29 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Ottawa
“Comfortable and clean”
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on my last business trip and found it to be good, clean and quiet. It is what I expect of the Holiday Inn hotels and I would return. There seems to be limited parking around the hotel, but there may be spaces not evident from the front. Be prepared to drive to get to restaurants - there are some good ones in the area, but there is not much near the hotel. I tried walking around the area, but it was difficult because of the traffic and it is an industrial/retail area.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I generally liked this hotel. I was there about a week ago with my father who was going to Winnipeg for a conference being held at the hotel. While I didn't see the conference facilities myself, I can say that everything in the hotel appears new/upgraded, including the room furniture, the hallway carpets, the lobby/bar/restaurant, even the elevators! We stayed for 4 nights.

The room we had was very nice for a standard room, in that it had both a bar fridge and a microwave as well as a coffee maker. The beds gave you a choice of soft or firm pillows, and the climate controls were adjusted by a thermostat on the wall (vs. the old blue-to-red dial on the window A/C). Bathroom was nice too, very modern.

I enjoyed the restaurant and bar as well. We had lunch at the restaurant and the food and menu were very good. The bar has Fort Garry pale and dark on tap, and I enjoyed that while using the free wi-fi (available in room as well). A free continental breakfast would have been nice, but I don't think HI's usually give you that.

The only small negative I would mention is that, on our first night, the room across the hall from us had ordered room service for dinner. Their dirty dishes were sitting in the hallway the next morning, they were still sitting there when we came back to our room that night, and they were STILL there again the following morning. It shouldn't take the staff 36h to clear some dirty dishes. (This is why I gave them 4/5.)

But all in all, if I was coming back to Winnipeg, I would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Rooms have been updated. Exercise facility is well equipped with elliptical, treadmill, weights, cycles, etc. Rooms were clean, as was Bath (small). The restaurant is limited, but the omelets were good. Breakfast is not included, but offers a choice of hot or cold buffet; the buffets are expensive if children are along. I would say this is geared toward the business traveler. There is an airport shuttle. Surroundings are not conducive to walking or shopping in the immediate area.

Room Tip: Stay on upper floor away from vending & elevators.
1 Thank Regaleagle
Courtenay, Canada
Reviewed 26 August 2013

This is my first time at Winnipeg Airport - Polo Park and I highly recommend it. We've been here for a conference and the amenities are terrific. Free shuttle to the airport, and they even drove us to the movies. Great family friendly pool and hot tub. Food is really good and the staff are wonderful. There are 2 computers in the front lobby with a printer for those boarding passes. Great location as there's lots of restaurants nearby, stores, Polo Park Mall, and the #14 bus stops right in front and goes downtown. 2 Thumbs up!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
DMBruzell, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Winnipeg Airport - Polo Park, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
Dear Ms Judi;
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us at Holiday Inn Winnipeg Airport Polo Park and thank you for leaving a wonderful review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the Hub meals and our comfortable guestroom and décor. I can assure you our staff understand what it takes to keep our hotel fresh and clean and they all work very hard to keep it that way. Once again, thank you for taking the time to write about us, we look forward to having you stay with us the next time your are traveling to Winnipeg. . All the Best
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We stayed here for a night in August 2013, and while it was a nice hotel, there was definitely room for improvement.

Most hotels you stay in these days offer a continental breakfast with your stay. It usually comes standard with free WiFi and cable TV, but this Holiday Inn didn't. That's the difference between Holiday Inn and a Holiday Inn Express, which does offer free breakfast. You could get a bowl of cereal in The Hub restaurant, but it would cost you $9.95 as part of the Cold and Light menu option. We opted to go to the McDonald's up the street for hotcakes instead.

Our room didn't have a curtain on the window, so the street lights kept the room lit at all hours of the night. There was only a green satin-like see-through cover on the window, but that didn't help. By 7 a.m., the room was fully illuminated. I don't know if this is standard, or if our room (# 307) was missing a curtain.

When making the reservation, I asked for a complimentary bottle of Coke to be left in the room when I checked in under the "special requests" section of the Holiday Inn website. This wasn't provided, even though 95% of the hotels I stay in have no problem doing this. It's the least they could do if you're spending $150 (after tax) per night. The front desk clerk said they don't do such things, which was a little disappointing.

The hotel is very new inside and boasts a modern design, especially in the lobby. The room was clean and came with a mini fridge and microwave, which were nice to have.

A few cons:

The shower curtain in our bathroom was too short for the shower, so the floor was completely flooded whenever anyone would bathe.

The bathroom door was broken and wouldn't completely close.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Ellice Avenue, otherwise you'll be looking at the parking lot and the rear...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Chris,
Thank you for your detailed remarks. Your comments help us increase our learning and give us the opportunity to review our standards and levels of service. I can assure you that every room including room 307 have black out blinds. It may have been pulled above the valance which can be missed at first glance. With regards to your request for complementary drinks in your room we have opted to offer bottle water for all IHG Rewards guests. Once again thank you for your feedback, I hope we will have the pleasure of serving you again in the near future
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

Comfortable beds and pleasant staff. But the bright green walls in the hallway have to go. It made the year old renovation look tired and outdated. The rooms, however were very modern and clean.
The bathroom was very small and the door hit the toilet when open.

The staff were very helpful and the shuttle drivers very friendly. Would recommend for anyone staying in town.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dear Hockleyhussey:
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and thank you very much for your kind words, everyone here at the hotel appreciates knowing that they have done their job in providing a memorable stay for each and every guest, and it is especially gratify to have our guest take time out their busy day to let us know we have done our job. We look forward to welcoming you back to Winnipeg and our hotel.

Sorry about the green, but it is the Holiday Inn signature color.
Thanks again.
Camby, Indiana
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Stayed here for a couple of days this week. Everyone in the lobby and bar were very nice, guy at front desk even changed my room to something further away from the elevator. Rooms are very nice and spacious, was pleased. The only issue I had was that when I returned from my meeting around 2pm the next day, the room had not yet been cleaned. It really wasn't a huge issue since I was leaving for the airport early the next morning, but it was still very surprising.

Dear Melissa;
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.
I would like to apologize for the less-than-satisfactory experiences you had in your guestroom. I can assure you that this is not the norm of the service we provide. Our team strives to provide exceptional service for our guests. It is our goal to ensure our guests leave with lasting memorable moments, I do hope that you will give the opportunity to show just how much we appreciate your business by considering to stay with again should your travelers bring you back to Winnipeg.