“A nice surprise”

Dining options: After-hours
Description: Also called Pizza Hotline
“A nice surprise”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I was talked into going here for lunch and frankly I am glad. The food was very, very good and reasonable priced. I had the personal meat pizza on regular crust. I could not get past half of this pizza as it was loaded with meat and delicious. The other half made a great evening treat. My friend had pasta which was equally good. The service was very friendly and a bit slow but it was lunch time and it wasn't for any other reason than the fact that they were busy. I will definitely be back.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Capette123

Winnipeg, Manitoba
“Much better than expected”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I just visited Cafe 22 on Broadway. I thought it would be terrible for two reasons: (1) the reviews on Trip Advisor and (2) every Winnipegger knows that the place for cheap mediocre pizza in Pizza Hotline, aka 222-2222. From what I understand, Cafe 22 was started as a restaurant attached to the Pizza Hotline pick-up/take-out locations, i.e. if you already have a commercial pizza kitchen going, why not provide some seating and call it a restaurant.

I was very pleasantly surprised! The pizza was much better than Pizza Hotline (which I never order because it's so blah), the service was friendly and the atmosphere in the Cafe 22 on Broadway was very nice. They had a great wine selection, and the 10" unlimited topping pizza was very reasonably priced at about $12. The thin crust was pretty good (but not amazing), but you really couldn't beat the selection of toppings. I had capicollo, mushroom, tomato, eggplant and feta on a wholewheat thin crust.

This is not amazing gourmet pizza like Pizzer Gusto or Carbone, but it is still quite good, especially given the very, very reasonable prices and classy atmosphere. It looks like it would be a really fun place for a group of friends, especially with all the couches and coffee tables they have.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank WinnipegTraveller045
Winnipeg, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cafe 22 - Broadway- is good!”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I like this place, the taste, the soup is good, the pasta is good, I havent been in cafe 22 corydon, but I like the cafe22 at broadway .
Pizza with pineapple and bacon is delicious. fettuccine alfredo too.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank claudia_mcp2013
Winnipeg, Canada
“What happened??”
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I agree with all. This has gone from my most favorite place in the world to my worst overnight. It was a cozy, quiet, comfortable bistro with good food, good service and reasonably priced wine. Now the food is mediocre at best (hate the new menu), 2 glasses of wine cost me $30.00, music was loud (what happened to cozy?), service was poor -and what is it with those poor servers having to wear those short tight black dresses? I am telling everyone I know who used to love this place- keep on walking down Corydon- there are a lot better options, better food and better prices just a few steps away.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Sandy S
winnipeg
“Used to love it - Not going back”
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Just like flutterby09, we were regulars for years and years. We took all our friends and family. According to the waitress, there is a new chef behind the new menu and new wine list. Only personal-size pizzas now. No more 15-inch. HUGE price jump in the wine because there are no half-liters of house wine any more. The every-topping pizza had one third as many toppings as before. The thin crust wasn't as thin. The pizza tasted very salty and greasy, and the tomato sauce was unpleasantly strong. Too much crust and not enough pizza. The total bill for pizza and wine cost us $20 more than it used to. About 50% more. The waitress was very pleasant. We asked her if a lot of people were complaining about the changes. We weren't surprised with her answer. It used to be a great little restaurant...

Visited June 2013