“Meh”

Clarion Hotel Winnipeg
Ranked #22 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed 14 September 2012

The Clarion is a renovated office building (Manitoba Telephone) and the owners deserve credit for "recycling" an existing building rather than demolish and start from scratch. It is conveniently located close to a major shopping mall, on a major artery (Portage Ave) and close to the Winnipeg airport. Our room on the second floor faced Portage Ave and was surprisingly quiet. That said, the free wifi signal was very weak and nonexistent in the conference rooms in the basement, the hotel charges an additional $10 for a second person, the lighting in the rooms was very poor (no ceiling lights at all), and the key card to open the door worked only about 10% of the time. There was a coffee maker in our room. The hotel does not have its own restaurant but is connected to the "Original Pancake House" that serves a wide variety of breakfasts as well as typical restaurant fare. Parking is free. The hotel does have a reasonably nice indoor pool with a slide and a spa but we did not use either. Service was adequate although some cleaning staff could be friendlier. Unless there is a need to be close to the shopping area, there are newer and better hotels close to the Winnipeg airport.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
CMRomaniuk, Director of Sales at Clarion Hotel Winnipeg, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2013

Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are saddened to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. We sincerely apologize for the difficulties that you experienced. Do know that the owners and management have reviewed all of your comments and we have, or, are in the process of addressing them all. A couple of months ago we upgraded our internet service in order to improve the signal in both our guestrooms and conference rooms. Since that time we have not experienced any further issues with the internet service. We have added additional light fixtures to the guestrooms and replaced many of the key card locks on the guestroom doors. The Clarion will be starting renovations in the near future and we will be using feedback such as yours to improve the hotel, amenities and service. We have started an educational program for our staff members via MTEC Training in order to improve their quality and standards of service. Do feel free to contact me directly in order to discuss your experience in more detail. We would love the chance to make it right and have you become a repeated guest at the Clarion Hotel & Suites. Please know that we are making positive changes based on feedback such as yours. Cheers!

Reviewed 30 August 2012

About 8 or 9 years ago, I left a pair of new capri pants in my hotel room. They were never recovered. For a long time I never came back to this hotel. About 5 years ago, I decided to give it another chance. Things were great again until this past spring. I found bed bugs in my room on the day of my departure. I notified the staff at the front desk at check out and even provided " live evidence"- a bed bug in a clear plastic bag. I received no apologies at all only a card telling me to contact the manager which I did in writing when I returned home. 3 months later and I have still not received any word from the manager. I think this is poor customer service. I should be compensated for my discomfort during my last stay. I am disappointed to say the least but after what happened with my disappearing clothes many years before, I shouldn't be surprised. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
10  Thank Suzi-Q_08
CMRomaniuk, Director of Sales at Clarion Hotel Winnipeg, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2013

Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for taking the time to communicate your concerns regarding your recent stay at the Clarion Hotel. The health and safety of our guests and employees is always our top priority and we are committed to the highest standards when it comes to our guests, which is why we have a strong bed bug prevention program in place. Each and every one of our guestrooms are systematically tested. We consult regularly with a leading pest control service to ensure we are staying current with the latest prevention methods. All of our housekeeping professionals and managers are trained so they can immediately identify an occurrence...if one were to occur. And our housekeeping staff puts their training to use every day when they inspect each and every bed for warning signs.
On the rare occasion that the hotel has a report of an insect found in the room, we take immediate action. We bring in professionals from our pest control service to investigate all reports. At this point in time, the Clarion Hotel has never had a confirmed report of bed bug infestation from our pest control service provider and remains 100% clear of any threat of bed bugs infestation. We strongly believe that this is due to the preventative measures that we have taken to ensure the safety of our valued guests.
We are, however, extremely concerned regarding the way in which you stated that the situation was dealt with. We take great pride in the level of customer service provided by both our front desk staff and management, and we sincerely apologize for the fact that you did not receive a response to the letter that you wrote expressing your concerns. I can assure you that I will be bringing this matter up in our next staff/management meeting in order to ensure that all future concerns are dealt with in a compassionate and understanding manner.
In addition, our most sincere apologies as obviously the Capri pants in question were misplaced....and there are no excuses for such! However, please note that we do have strict lost and found policies in place in order to ensure that if a guest leaves something behind in the room, that it is easily traceable. As literally dozens of items are left in our guestrooms on a daily basis, we apologize that we were unable to locate your lost item.
Please feel free to contact me directly in order to discuss your concerns in more detail. We would very much appreciate the opportunity to make it right and perhaps have you give our hotel another try! Thank you for your feedback and I look forward to speaking with you one day soon!

Reviewed 21 August 2012

We are working our way across the country and found this place out of the way for us. Too much into the city. But once there it was wonderful. So worth it. My kids loved the pool area and slide. Will have to make it back there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest, Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. We are located across the street from Polo Park Shopping Center, Silver City Cinemas and numerous restaurants and other attractions, which makes our location ideal for any traveler! We understand that this is well within the city limits and we appreciate the fact that you drove the extra miles to stay with us! We are elated to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and it's amenities. We Thank You for the feedback and we so look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 19 August 2012

First of all, we were there for a bachelorette party, so we are all a little excited but we weren't going crazy by any means. When we arrived to check in, the 'receptionist' was rather rude and not very friendly or personable. We all thought she needed to remove the stick out of her butt. One person in the group asked if they could pay ahead of time and she basically ignored the question, so when the 'receptionist' was going to take us to the 'relaxation' room, my friend had to ask again if she could pay first and the girl seemed extremely annoyed about this fact. So they bring us into the relaxation room where there is supposed to be snacks and coffee and what not, well there was half eaten plate of fruit, barely any veggies left and some cookies. The water that was in the fridge was warm. We all start getting called to our designated esthetician, and most of us were getting pedicures done. The way they have their pedicure rooms set up, doesn't really work that well if you are with a group. If I wanted to speak to my one friend I would have to lean all the way over just to see her, because there was a dividing wall in between us. I'm 8 months pregnant, so leaning over wasn't or isn't much of an option. We all just sat there a little bored out of our minds. The people working on our feet barely offered any conversation. Yes, I get that its a spa, we are there to relax but I would rather go spend $30 somewhere else on a pedicure than ever go back to the Clarion, I paid $63 for the great expectation pedicure and while the pedicurist did a good job, it wasn't like paying the extra $30 got me any better service than going to a quick in and out nail salon. I certainly will not be going back to the Clarion for any spa treatments. Also, they had told us we were going to get a fruit platter for out party, but it never came, so we just left. I had to save up and budget to get this pedicure done, and in my opinion it was not worth it.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank meltru
CMRomaniuk, Director of Sales at Clarion Hotel Winnipeg, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2013

Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations and we sincerely appreciate your feedback regarding such. I have brought your concerns up with the Spa Manager. She has been trying to correlate the date of your review to the "Bachelorette" groups that came into the spa around the same time.....in order to get more details and attempt to rectify the situation. She has been unsuccessful! in her attempts. Please note that we take great pride in our spa and the customer service that is provided within and we are disheartened to hear that you did not receive the exceptional service that we pride ourselves in giving. We understand that the days prior to your Wedding are priceless and we do our very best to pay attention to every detail and offer the very best customer service possible. Please feel free to contact me directly so that I may put you in touch with our Spa Manager. She would love the opportunity to make it right! Once again, Thank you for your feedback and please do contact me at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

It had been a few years since I had stayed at the Clarion. I used to stay there often, but had found that the standards had been dropping and that the clinleness and overall experience were on the decline, I had heard this from several other people as well.

Recently I was booked into the Clarion by a supplier for a product demo and meeting, and I was a little leary of the hotel they picked. However I was pleasantly suprised that the hotel customer service and quality had been significantly improved since my last visit. the room I had on the 2nd floor was very clean and everything was in working order, the staff at the front desk were great also. The meeting room in the basement was clean and quiet and the food served (supper and breakfast) was good (and the red wine was great!)

The location of the hotel is really good for shopping as it is next door to one of Winnipegs major shopping centers, and surrounded by big box stores and resturants.

The only problem I had is that my truck does not fit into the parkade and I have to park on the street.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank derloc12

Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are elated to hear that you have noticed a difference! In the past couple of years we have made it a priority to continuously deep clean each and every guestroom in the hotel and we have hired additional maintenance personnel in order to ensure that all devices and fixtures are in proper working order. We have also paid for many of our staff members to undergo MTEC training in an attempt to improve our quality of customer service. We appreciate the fact that you have noticed a difference! Thank you for your positive comments regarding the food served in our establishment. We take great pride in the quality of food served! Should you ever decide to stay with us again, please contact me directly as I would love to ensure that we are able to accommodate the size of your vehicle. We have a couple of spots in the front of the hotel that can accommodate a truck of any size. Please feel free to contact me directly in order to arrange such service. Once again, Thank You for your feedback!!

Reviewed 25 May 2012

"medium suite" $200. Generally nothing wrong with my stay at the Clarion. The hotel is starting to show its age as other reviews stated but nothing overly horrendous or worth complaining about. The room was very spacious as was the washroom. I must say for such an abundance of space the tub left a lot to be desired. My wife standing at 5'5" found the tub to be too small to relax in. I at 6'0" found the shower head slightly lower than ideal. My only real complaint would be in regards to the internet, advertised as having WiFi throughout the hotel i couldn't get it to work on any of my devices. The front desk help were of little use. I write this from a hotel in Halifax where all my devices are working so i know it wasnt my devices. Other than that very minor issue all was well. I would recommend the hotel to others provided you can get a cheaper price on a corporate rate of some kind.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Richard S, Manager at Clarion Hotel Winnipeg, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2015

Thank you for your review!!

Reviewed 22 May 2012

Stayed for 5 nights. Stayed in a Suite, very nice rooms, clean and the decor was nice. In the bedroom the TV could be larger as it is very far away from the bed, hard to see and very hard to hear unless the volume is cranked.

The Spa was very relaxing, and nice.

The only issue is the entry into the hotel, Very odd, as there are stairs into the main lobby but no ramp for a luggage cart, you are required to take an elevator half a floor to the main lobby floor, about 3 stairs worth.

Nice stay would be back again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your review!!