“Poor hospitality, if any hospitality at all...”

Clarion Hotel Winnipeg
Ranked #19 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Winnipeg, Canada
“Poor hospitality, if any hospitality at all...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2011

Greetings,

If your planning on staying in Winnipeg for business or leisure, I suggest one makes Clarion hotel their last choice, only after every other decent hotel and motel has already been filled! Seriously though, I would strongly recommend NOT staying at this hotel for personal sanity and stress reasons. My wife and I had come into town to complete a course at the University, our stay had been paid for and we were told that we would receive internet access, that local calls would be free and that any other expenses would be paid for.

Quick Summary

Cleanliness - Room was average cleanliness.

Location - Great, right beside Polo Park Mall, and on Portage.

However, very annoying is the parkade in which Clarion hotel customers park. The parkade is poorly lit at nights and very dirty, I would not suggest walking outside late at nights in this parkade, as there is also no security present. The parkade is above ground, not heated, ...so hopefully your vehicle will start the next morning when it is -30 or below.

When my wife checked in, she was told where to park and that there was an overpass that connected the parkade to the hotel for unloading, this is correct except the overpass is only located on one level, otherwise you have to go down stairs, which does not work with luggage trolleys. Once we made it into the lobby we were met by a set of stairs and an elevator. Since we had the luggage trolley we went into the elevator thinking that this elevator would take us to our floor, the numbers on the elevator did not go that high. Slightly confused my wife returned to the front desk to ask, in which the front clerk replied, "Well that is why I tell all the customers to unload in front of the building and that you have to go up elevator to the lobby and then go to another elevator down the hall in order to access the hotel." Her reply was rudely spoken and she had not informed my wife of this information, nor was she apologetic for the inconvenience of needing to take an elevator due to the hotel's poor design of needing an elevator to go up approx six steps, which a simple wheelchair accessible ramp would have sufficed.

Worst, is that the parkade is located on a oneway street, so, in order to park in front of the hotel for loading your vehicle when you leave, or to pick up friends you have to drive about 5 minutes over an overpass to get back to the hotel,or pay for valet parking....very inconvenient.

Rooms - Status quo.

Service - Service....what service? If service is checking you in, and then out, while giving you the run around during your entire stay for anything you as for...then yes, they have service.
Each day I was there I asked why I could not access the internet in my room (like promised the Clarion hotel brochure in each room) and was given many answers, never a solution.

First night the internet supposedly went down in the entire building, and front desk was extremely sorry for the inconvenience it had caused.

Second night same thing, little or no signal. After sending someone, the porter,up to see that indeed the signal was too weak to pick up in my room, as well as the either-net cable did not work, I was told I could comedown and use the lobby area to access the internet. As well, they would reset the internet wireless modem on my floor, which had no avail similar to the evening prior. My wife decided to go down to the lobby to use the internet, only to find out once there that the internet was down in the lobby as well.

Third day, I was told a repairman would be coming up to the room to get the internet to work. That night, surprisingly...the internet still did not work. Solution, reset the modem on my floor. When, as usual that did not work, I was told again that I could come down and use the lobby. When suggesting to front desk that the issue might actually be the distance of the wireless broadband router to my room that came as a surprise to front desk. When asking what they would do after 3 days of no service, the solution was I could move to another room. I asked where the router was on the floor, so the next room I had would be closer in proximity to the wireless router, only to be told frontdesk did not know...and would call back later. They never phoned back and the offer of another room with internet access was never addressed by them again.

Final day, we needed to make long-distance phone calls. Up to this point we had made local calls and were able to call out, but when we picked up the phone the phone was dead. We were not able to make local or long distance phone calls. When we called front desk we were told that since the company (who was currently hiring us) was paying the hotel, and no credit card for us was on file, we could not make phone calls, both local and long distance, even though they advertise free local calls. We asked if we gave front desk the personal credit card info, if they would take the restriction off. Frontdesk said they would right away and sent housekeeping up to see if the problem could be fixed from our room. After an hour we were still unable to make calls and had to use a cell phone instead.

When checking out, we had to pay charges for each phone call, both local and long distance and those that we attempted to make, but would not connect due to the hotel's faulty connection or limitations put on our account. No compensation or apology was made or offered for no internet service throughout out entire stay even though they knew that we were there to take a course which required online research. We were also never asked if we enjoyed our stay or if there was anything that could have improved our stay.

We came to Winnipeg for a course and had to stay at a hotel during this time. The Clarion hotel did not live up to its advertised claims of service and being a hotel to rest. We will not go to this hotel again and have and will continue to
discourage others from going to this hotel.

"Clarion Hotel and Suites is Winnipeg’s most exciting destination hotel. We are full service and so much more, featuring contemporary, spacious accommodations ranging from business suites to family guest rooms and theme suites.
Whether staying for business or pleasure, treat yourself - reconnect, relax and explore our unique services."

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank dnamiller11
Richard S, Manager at Clarion Hotel Winnipeg, responded to this review, 11 February 2015
Thank you for your review!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2011

I stayed in a suite. It was very good with a nice sitting area, bathroom and great bedroom. With two TV's I was set. The room service is very fast and orderly. The pool had one water slide, and with no one there but me and my friends, we had a blast. There is also a spa.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2011

We booked a two night New year's Eve stay , Checked in at 3pm got settled in room called room service it was closed early at 4. I was told no food except vending machines. OK so then I thought I would check some menu ideas online. Brought the lap top to talk with family from Brazil via skype during the evening , set it up ..... NO SIGNAL was told can use internet downstairs 10 min for % dollars. Went out to eat was dark outside Parkade had burnt out lights , no security it was scarey. Came back still no internet , no or very low signal. Watch new years countdown on old tv went to bed sheets were hard rough and smelt like hospital I got a rash. Next day went to pool it was freezing in the pool area by the windows was worse the water was cold as well could not enjoy at all. Hot tub was packed of everyone trying to keep warm. After leaving pool I was itching like crazy , had a shower laid on the chemical bed and still no internet , we checked out 7 30 am I finally stopped itching but still have a rash on my face from the pillowcase .... Never again will I stay there

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Manitoba
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2010

We stayed there for a family weekend; stayed in a king leisure suite. The room was HUGE; 2 rooms, 2 tv's..was great!
Close to Polo Park Shopping Mall for the teenagers; and the Clarion is also home to the Urban Oasis Spa where mom was pampered after a day of shopping.
We ate meals in the attached restaurant - the Pancake House. Food was great, the only thing is we would have liked to charge our meals to our room bill and were told we could only do that if we ordered room service.
There is a pool but we didn't use it this time.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2010

I was pleasantly surprised by the Clarion - other hotels in this chain have left me disappointed before, but this one was great! Rooms were pretty clean (I did notice though that my room and the hall were not vacuumed during my 6 day stay...everything else was cleaned nicely). The wireless internet did not work when I first arrived (and supposedly, I was close to where the router was housed). The front desk staff tried everything to help me connect - provided me with a cord (even though I had brought one), sent someone to try to help connect it. The guy they sent was not very helpful - he did not seem to know a lot about internet connections, as when we plugged it in, the connection was still not working (and not even registering), and he kept insisting that if he reset the router, it would work (he did this about 3 times before I went back to the front desk). When I went out to the lobby, it did work though, so the front desk clerk upgraded my room to where I could get a connection. There was a fire alarm one night, and it was annoying to be woken up, have to find the fire exits...the stairs were not well labeled. Once they cleared everything, I could not go back up the fire exit stairs because the fire exits have no handles on the doors to go in, just out. Then quite a few people were waiting at the elevator while they tried to get it working, and the security guard and the front desk staff didn't tell us that we could take the regular stairs. They had propped it open with a room service trolley. These stairs actually could not be taken on a regular basis, as they kept the doors locked, but normally the elevators were quick. The lounge staff was friendly and helpful (I didn't order room service, but they were happy to provide cutlery, wine glasses, etc. if needed). They had a huge water park, and many families were staying at the hotel - I was not bothered by the noise, but I am not a light sleeper (it may not bother you even if you are a light sleeper because the rooms are large and beds were away from the door. If you are traveling with a family, I think this would be a fabulous place to stay. If you are traveling alone or for business (and not to downtown Winnipeg - though this was not far if you have a car), it is still an excellent place to stay. Anything you need is close or the hotel can help you with it - the mall has a lot of places to eat, there's a Safeway nearby. I felt safe as a female traveling alone (though colleagues in the area had told me places/streets to avoid). The rooms were a bit dark though they had put in many lamps to make up for this. The windows also provided a lot of light in the morning and day, and I noticed from the outside that it was difficult for other people on the street to see in because the windows were tinted (so much so that from the outside, I could not see if my drapes were open or closed). This didn't seem to affect the light coming in though. All in all, I would definitely stay here again. Word of warning if you want to use the fitness center - morning is not the best time to go as it next to the catering or room service kitchen and all you smell is bacon!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Stoney Creek
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2010

We stayed here twice as we drove out west and back. The hotel is very nice, clean, modern hotel. Bringing in luggage is awkward. We were advised to park on the 3rd (?) level of the parking garage and go across a catwalk to the building as the front steps. Our room, the second time, was a fantastic suite! The "ambience" in the pool area with slide was very nice. Too bad the pool liner is lifting up. This should be repaired. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2010

Had a last minute trip to the 'peg for business. Check-in was quick and uncomplicated. Had a King room, smoking. Some burn marks on carpet and in bathroom on tub, overall room was decent, although bed a bit on soft side. 2 TVs, workdesk, ample electrical plugs to recharge GPS/Blackberry and laptop. Mini fridge and sofa in joining room.
Pancake restaurant is ok for morning coffee and a bagel. Not much open/around at night time, however ample vending machines. Parking facility is adjacent, free and ample but could use better signage.
WiFi was a bit problematic, got booted off a few times during my one night stay. Paid about 170$, was not my first choice for hotel but some big event was in town so I had to settle on this hotel as no other rooms were available.
Water park looked nice but I had no time to check it out.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business