“Room 2”
Review of River Gate Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Winnipeg
River Gate Inn
Ranked #3 of 16 Winnipeg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 August 2013

By far the very best b&b my husband and I have ever stayed in. Beautiful home, wonderful landscaping. The owners were lovely, friendly people looking out for our every need. We were allowed to have our family and friends from Winnipeg over to share in the beauty of this old mansion. Bob even served us coffee on the deck ine afternoon whilecwe had visitors. Everything is nice and classy, silver appointments, nice linens, wonderful breakfasts cooked by Mavis. Just can't say enough nice things about this family that is opening their home to travelers! Beds were comfy, air conditioning in the rooms, heated pool, lots of room indoors and out. We will be staying here the next time we visit.

Room Tip: Room 2 is a beautiful room with a beatiful large private bath with jacuzzi tub.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NettaS2013

Reviewed 4 July 2013

My husband and I were born and raised in Winnipeg but moved to Calgary 12 years ago. When we come back to Winnipeg, we usually stay in a hotel, but we thought this time we would try a B&B. We have stayed in many B&B's when we travel and I have to say, this was the BEST B&B we have ever stayed in. First, the owners Mavis & Bob are amazing. We made a couple of special requests and they were accommodated with no questions asked. The B&B itself it truly a hidden gem. When we pulled up in the driveway, our first words were "WOW", and the inside didn't disappoint. It is an immaculate mansion in one of the most prestigous areas of Winnipeg. The grounds are amazing and so well kept. The pool was so inviting although we did not have a chance to actually take a swim. They have little bistro tables set up outside where you can enjoy a nice cool beverage in the evening with flowers on each one. The back yard backs on to the river so the views are amazing. We stayed at the B&B for 3 nights. Our first 2 nights were spent in room 3 which I would "highly" recommend if you are planning a stay here. The room is so spacious. You really feel like you are staying in a mansion in this room. The bed was so comfortable and looked so inviting when you enter the room. The room itself has every convenience that you would want, and many "above and beyond" touches that I was truly appreciative of. A few of those were a water cooler in the room, a mini fridge in the room which was fully stocked with juice, pop, sparking waters, robes and slippers in the huge walk in closet, a telephone in the room with free long distance in Canada, wifi in the room, water glasses, wine glasses a corkscrew and chocolates (replaced daily). This room has an ensuite bathroom with an amazing shower head for one of the best showers we have had. It also has a jacuzzi tub for those who just need a little relaxation before heading into the bed. Mavis is the "chef" of the Inn and the breakfasts were so delicious. While Mavis was cooking, Bob is right there filling your coffee cup, making sure all of your needs are being met, taking the time to talk and get to know the guests while at the same time not being intrusive in the huge dining room. There was always fresh fruit and muffins available at all times in the dining room. All in all, you just can't ask for anything better in a B&B. The additional space that guests have access to is a huge sitting/family room filled with lots of wonderful furniture, and a huge sun porch which is a great place to hang out in the evening. Sadly, we had to change rooms for our last night as the room had already been previously booked when I made our reservation. We were moved to room 4 which was still lovely, but not anywhere close to being as beautiful as room 3. We have decided that whenever we visit Winnipeg, this is going to be our "home away from home"! Truly a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Room 3 is the room to request. It is truly amazing.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tracy154913
Reviewed 28 June 2013

My husband and I have stayed in many B&Bs and we have experienced many good ones. To give River Gate Inn a 5 rating is not enough. Bob and Mavis Heinrichs, the owners, deserve 5 and a half stars at least.

We booked for a week because we had a family wedding in Winnipeg to attend, and soon we got to know the Heinrich family, all so friendly and professional. Breakfasts were served when we wanted, and something different everyday. After we booked and just before we came, my husband had a change of diet required, and Mavis seamlessly accommodated his needs on the spot. Sudden drop-in visitors? No problem: Mavis had cheese and crackers and fruit set out instantly, and that was what the entire week was like. Whatever we needed, Mavis supplied. And Bob was around to help before and after work, cheerfully serving or offering advice. We held a post-rehearsal party there one evening, and Bob and Mavis handled the entire affair with grace and apomb. Mavis's prices are excellent, and her foods wonderful.

We had been travelling for a week before we arrived and I needed to do some washing. Mavis allowed me to do my washing right at the Inn. What a convenience, especially when we were busy with wedding and family affairs, and our time was limited.

Now for the rooms. I highly recommend that for an extended stay people should book Room 3. There is a walk-in closet with his and hers sections, a small desk and chair to use for tablet or laptop, a table with 2 chairs where we read or sat for a drink before dinner, the bedside tables were a good size and convenient to the bed, and there were windows along one wall looking out at the back of the property. The room was very quiet being completely away from the street and looking out toward the river. The excellent blinds and curtains on the windows allowed the room to be nicely darkened - a benefit at high summer when daylight starts about 5:30 or so, or one wants to nap in the afternoon. The ensuite bathroom was not huge but very conveniently laid out, and had a small table available for our toiletries. We were able to set out our suitcases inside the closet, hang our good clothes on the racks in the closet, and function as if at home. There was even a piano bench in the room which was a very handy place to put gifts, purchases, books, papers etc. which we accummulated over the week. The well stocked fridge in the room was gratefully used by us, and we appreciated having it.

We stayed in Room 2 at first, which is larger than Room 3. It is a very large beautiful room with wonderful windows all around looking out on the grounds and the pool. The ensuite bathroom was huge and gorgeous with lots of windows. It could have used more shelves for our toiletries, however for an overnight this wouldn't be an issue. In addition to the queen bed there was a pullout couch, and coffee table. We enjoyed this room, but I needed a chair to sit on as the couch is quite low (with my artificial knees I can't get up and down that easily) so I borrowed a chair from another room and was fine after that. Also we found it was very bright in the mornings with all the windows, as there are blinds but they don't darken the room very much. My daughter and her husband used this room when they arrived later in the week, and they liked it alot, but also commented that the light coming into the room was bright in the mornings.

Now, to the lovely old house, and its charms. We were so delighted with this old mansion, lovingly restored and refurbished. The grounds are large and well mantained. There are many ice-cream tables and chairs where one could enjoy breakfast or tea outside. The small conservatory off the library is a delightful space to visit with friends. Athough the weather didn't allow us to use the pool, I would love to go back just to have a chance to use it - it looked so clean and inviting. My nephew came over, sat down in the living room in a big comfortable leather couch, looked around at the antiques and beautiful furnishings and said, "This place is sooo much nicer than our hotel". That, folks, sums it up. Why would anyone stay in a Winnipeg hotel when they could stay with Mavis and Bob at the River Gate Inn?

Room Tip: We liked Room 3 for a longer stay because of the big walk-in closet. It also has a table, chairs, a...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OD
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Bear and I traveled Canada staying in a variety of B&Bs. We chose this one based on the location and look. We were hesitant at first because of some of the bad reviews, however later found out that these were historical and relate to the past owners.

The house is beautiful and has a pool. The river is nearby and it is a lovely area to walk in. The location is good and we walked everywhere we went.

Mavis and Bob were so accommodating, kind and caring. They made a variety of suggestions for local attractions that we visited. They helped us do our clothes washing in their machines. My husband was quite unwell with a flu during our stay, they allowed us a late checkout and dropped us to the train station.

The food was excellent. Mavis cooked some sort of traditional dish which was very exciting. I have food sensitivities and these were wholly accommodated. If you have dietary preferences it is important to tell them when you book in.

I could understand how some reviewers may find Mavis a bit cold at first but once you break the ice she is a wealth of information on life in Canada. Bob is one of the most friendly people on earth. I am sure that you could have a very private or very engaged stay depending on what you prefer.

They even sent us a Christmas Card six months later :). I am sure if we returned to Winnipeg we would surely stay here.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PrincessAndBear
Reviewed 22 January 2013

I felt compelled to share my experience as some of the reviews on this website are not accurate. My 4 year old daughter and I stayed at the River Gate Inn last night (Jan.21,2013). We arrived around 8pm and were greeted with a warm welcome. My daughter was treated exceptionally well and we were given the larger of the rooms to accommodate her energy! Being winter and -40 I should have plugged in my car but did not. My keys were quickly retrieved, my car was moved and plugged in for me with easy access in the morning so my daughter wouldn't get cold. Breakfast was good and after some conversation and another booking for the end of February we were on our way home. I am anxiously awaiting summer for another stay so that we can enjoy the pool. Overall the River Gate Inn is a beautiful place and I found both Mavis and Bob to be wonderful people with great experiences. I am looking forward to my stay in February!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank TMT_1979
Reviewed 18 January 2013

This was my first experience with a B&B and i was a bit hesitant. I have to say that although my stay was not terrible I will be sticking to hotels from now on. I felt as though i was in someones home unwelcomed.
The house is gorgeous although I will admit...a bit spooky too..lol. As soon as we parked in the driveway we were greeted by, you cant park there...you have to park over here. I thought a friendly "hi, welcome" would have been a better first meeting that then being "barked" at.
After moving the car and entering the home taking our shoes off we were instantly lead on a "tour" with the "rules" of the house. We stayed for a total of three nights. On our second night we were unexpectantly late getting in so in the morning we decided to sleep in a bit. Well....it was made very clear that missing breakfast without letting them know is a definite no, no. While I will admit I can definitely understand why knowing ahead would be beneficial, sometimes things happen and i didn't think waking her up at 3am to inform her we would be missing breakfast would be appreciated.
Overall.....the room was nice and specious (we stayed in the largest room), the grounds were gorgeous (despite the brutal musquitos), the house is in a great location and despite the rules and barking, Michelle had her friendly moments and I am sure is a nice person overall.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hailes01
Mavis H, Owner at River Gate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2013

Unfortunately, this review, though just recently posted is vastly out dated. The same Michelle who is cited in this narrative, sold the Inn in late summer of 2010 and has had no involvement since. It is currently under new management.

We did not host guests from Halifax for a three day stay in June of 2012.

While this review reverberates with other historical reviews that date prior to current ownership of the Inn; it is in fact, not accurate. We welcome any feedback from our own guests who, unfailingly, revel in the hospitality at the River Gate Inn.

Mavis Heinrichs

Reviewed 24 August 2012

I really can't think of a single negative thing to say about this place. We loved it! The home itself is a gorgeous character mansion, really, in a beautiful tree-lined neighbourhood of historic homes. We had the #3 room for 2 nights and it had its own ensuite. The room was large, the bed comfortable and the entire home is very clean. Unlike some historic B&B's, which are cluttered with knickknacks, doilies, and the like, the River Gate Inn is beautifully decorated, with a few choice pieces of furniture. The overall feeling is simple and elegant yet comfortable.

The hosts were lovely, and the breakfast in their gorgeous dining room was wonderful. The grounds are nice as well with the home set on the banks of the river. We didn't use it but there is a nice looking pool in the backyard.

The location was perfect - within a 20 minute drive to the airport and within a few minutes drive to restaurants. We're not in Winnipeg often but when we are, we will certainly be staying here again.

Room Tip: We prefer having our own bathroom and the #3 room has its own ensuite. It also has a lovely view of...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple