“Policy chaos”
Review of Norwood Hotel

Norwood Hotel
Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed 3 February 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times. Only twice have I had bad experiences. The first time was with partying guests. This last time however, there were many things that went wrong. I had to cancel and rebook the reservation due to travel conditions. This was accomplished with a phone call - upon investigation I was told it was with the Assistant General Manager. I inquired about the meal vouchers specifically asking if it was possible to have breakfast in the room. I was assured that it was and to inform front desk staff upon check-in and to call the restaurant to request it delivered to my room. When I checked in, I was told that this was not policy, to which I related my booking conversation. Front desk called the restaurant and it was OK'd.

I slept very little that night and was unable to work due to noise in the adjoining room - two very active toddlers who did not have an early bedtime.

The following morning I had breakfast in my room. I attempted to use the shower - it was an old supposedly adjustable shower head that was broken. The water came out like it would in a garden hose with no attachment. Just a narrow stream of water.

The second day, I called the restaurant only to be told that breakfast in the room with a pre-paid voucher was not possible - it was policy and they would not make an exception. They were not pleasant. I called the front desk and staff confirmed the policy regardless of having had different policy a day before - or having made an exception. I informed the front desk that I would not need the pre-paid voucher - I had no time to eat in the restaurant. I then looked around for a room service menu - nothing was to be found. So...time wasted, I had to check out with no breakfast and later than anticipated.

I advised the front desk staff that it is not appropriate to change policy midstay. I had counted on breakfast in the room - and had been assured upon booking and upon checking in that I would have it - with the prepaid voucher. The voucher itself is $9.50 which is reasonable for a breakfast. I supplied a genrous tip.

While the hotel is convenient to the buisness I have in Winnipeg, I will not be staying there again.

Room Tip: Adjoining rooms are not the best option.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Carla N

Reviewed 28 November 2012 via mobile

I chose this hotel for its proximity to the downtown area of Winnipeg and for the parking lot that was able to accommodate my trailer. Overall a great stay, rooms were nice- probably one of the most comfortable mattresses I've ever slept on!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 24 November 2012

The location of this property , closed to the hospital, made us pick this property. Overall the staff is friendly and helpfull, the rooms and hallways are clean except super dirty carpets. Lots of roadnoise but closed to St. Boniface hospital and The Forks.
Lots of parking and a few restaurants nearby, seems like an unsafe area in the city after dark though.
The price quoted on the phone was different from what we paid for some reason. They quoted us a hospital rate but we ended up paying 10,-$ more a night.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank wegelagerer
Reviewed 15 October 2012

My husband & I were in Wpg. for 3-4 days visiting relatives last April. Updated room in older bldg. was clean & quiet. Breakfast was muffins we picked up at Tim Horton's and the hotel room coffee. Did not use bar, found a good bistro nearby for lunch one day. Walking distance to The Forks area & easy driving to places we needed to go in around the city.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2012

I am not sure when this hotel was originally build, but you can tell by the building and the well known bar that it has been there a while. However, as soon as you get inside you enter a modern and updated space. The lobby, meeting rooms and hotel rooms have all seen solid and modern upgrades. My room was clean and spacious at a very competitive rate for Winnipeg. I will for sure go back when I need to be in that part of the city. I forgot my D&G cologne, called the next day and the staff was very helpful, found my item and are keeping it on hold until I come back to pick it up.

PS, the Keurig single cup coffee maker was an excellent added touch!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank martijnvanluijn
Reviewed 18 August 2012

We were here for a group booking, a Scottish group so we really watch our pennies.

Our room had a view of asphalt over some building with VERY noisy air conditioner fans so we could not have any fresh air at night ( a must for me).
The rooms were well appointed, lots of storage space, toweles and amenities.

The friendly service makes the stay worthwhile

Room Tip: Don't stay at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Baltzan
Reviewed 15 August 2012

we liked it so much we came back it was clean quiet. The could have been a little better
In the room size but other than that it was great! It has great value it's almost like staying in a five star hotel the way it run. the front desk lady was quite helpful.

Room Tip: anything is good to cooke
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends