Inn at the Forks
  • Breakfast included
Mere Hotel(Winnipeg)
  • Fitness centre
1,441 results
All reviewsgreat locationchildren's museumluxury suitehuman rights museumbeautiful hotelvalet servicehotel restaurantclose to downtowngreat place to stayenjoyed my stayred riverbusiness tripbed was very comfortablefront desk staffsmithforksspa
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Our usual hotel in Winnipeg, the Fort Garry was surprisingly booked out (November?!) and so I chose the Inn on the Forks on the strength of Trip Advisor reviews. The service at the Inn was very friendly and we loved the valet service. But I was disappointed with the room and general hotel decor. I booked a large room to make up for not staying at the Fort Garry and to ensure a good view. The view over the new museum was indeed spectacular and the room was large and clean, the bed comfortable. But the ambiance was a bit too, well, inn-like - not as upmarket/boutique as I had expected. The room decor was neither elegant nor sleek/modern, rather a bit tacky, e.g., the room carpet was beige/brown/mustard swirls which clashed with the burgundy walls - the couch was also burgundy with all sorts of geometric shapes, like something out the 70s-80s, but perhaps it was supposed to be retro-80s? Just tacky to me. The shower walls were molded plastic instead of tiles, made me think of a construction-site portable toilet. The tub was below standard size.The bathroom counter looked cool, it was of green glass with embedded bubbles, but in fact it was annoying as the top surface was wavy so that toiletry items didn't sit firmly. The fireplace was a nice idea, but in our room it was built into a counter, as if it were a dishwasher. The breakfast room was all in teal green and rust, really those colours take me back to 1974, they are just not timeless. I suppose such a bold colour scheme would work if the furniture were edgy, but in fact, the decor ends up being a failed attempt at edgy. And the brown leatherette couches in the front lounge had noticible small tears/rips. The breakfasts are enormous!! Really too big! I ordered pancakes and asked for one strip of bacon. I got 5 huge pancakes and a pile of bacon. It all ended up as a sort of gooey starchy mess. My husband ordered the hearty prairie special and it would have been enough for three, what a waste. After a day or two we got smarter re our breakfast orders, and managed to get the staff to scale down the amounts. Re location, interesting to be at the Forks, but It was a bit further on foot from the business district than I had imagined from looking at google-earth. In conclusion, it was a nice hotel with friendly staff and we had a spacious, comfortable room. It just wasn't quite what I expected.

1  Thank Skib99
InnForksGSM, Guest Relations Manager at Inn at the Forks, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such an informative review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate knowing what we got right and what we need to improve upon.

I'm not sure when you will be back in Winnipeg but I am pleased to announce that renovations on all of our guest rooms will begin in early 2014 and there are exciting and BIG changes for our restaurant and lounge as well.

That being said, I have passed along your comments to our Maintenance Manager and our Food and Beverage Manager.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Inn at the Forks one day.

Kind regards,

Cathy Stephens
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed 21 November 2013

Inn at the Forks is a very good hotel in a decent location. It is clean and modern. Rooms are spacious. However, don't be fooled by the "luxury boutique" marketing. When I think boutique I think of unique, personalised touches. Inn at the Forks is not like that. What it is is a good business hotel.

The Forks is a bit away from the business district. It was about a 15 minute walk to the main business area, obviously a shorter taxi ride. The hotel is very close to the new Museum of Human Rights and beside the river. Forks itself has a few restaurants and an indoor market with a small selection of shops. It was pretty deserted in November. Probably in the summer it is a more interesting area.

The hotel gym is small but adequate for a light workout. There is a spa but I did not try it. The restaurant and lounge are nice, though the restaurant is a bit pricey. There are several small meeting rooms in the hotel. It would be a good venue for small company meetings.

Wifi was free. (Why is it that small hotels like this provide free wifi but the big chains somehow think it is fair to charge $25 for it?)

I'll gladly stay at the Inn at the Forks on my next business trip, but don't go expecting a true boutique hotel experience.

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. Your feedback is much appreciated.

I'm so pleased to read that you did enjoy your stay and the amenities that we offer.

I'm not sure when you will get the chance to return to Winnipeg but we are indeed moving ahead with extensive room renovations in early 2014. I hope you will be able to experience what our "new look" has to offer. I would like to invite you to contact me directly and I will take care of your reservations personally.

Kind regards,

Cathy Stephens
Assistant General Manager

cstephens@innforks.com

Reviewed 17 November 2013

I was in Winnipeg for business and Inn at the Forks was recommended by my clients.
The location was excellent - cental and near the Forks Market. Nearby restaurants and shopping. The staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean.
But what stood out was the bedding. I had such a restful night. I do A LOT of travelling and I have never slept on such a comfortable mattress. The pillows were better than any I have ever used. So much so that I would have loved to have taken those pillows home with me.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We had a one night layover between trains and this was the perfect place to stay. It is just a short block from the train station and is also very close to the downtown area. It is located within the "Forks" area where two rivers merge. It is a historic area and Winnipeg has done a great job of restoring the area to include shops. walking paths. water taxis, and a large court area with benches and a covered area. We were there in the slow season but this would be a great attraction in the Summer and winter due to the activities that are held here. There are several restaurants within easy walking distance and a trip to the Pancake House Is a must - even if it's for a dessert pancake. As for the hotel itself, the staff was very helpful and accommodating, the room was large and comfortable and very stylish. What more could you ask!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Excellent location, tastefully decorated, delicious food, and the warmest, most friendly and down to earth staff, you could hope for. I'm fortunate to stay in fine hotels all over the world, and many, including The Fairmonts, could take a lesson from Inn at the Forks, in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Always "welcome back", with a real, heartfelt smile - they have retained their staff, and it shows.

Rooms are impeccable, absolutely spotless and the linens are superb. TVs are flat screens and seem brand new, the toiletries are also excellent. Spa is wonderful, the spa pass is worth each and every cent, it's solace and serenity amidst the hectic work schedule…balance…ahhhh!

The homemade ice-cream with macaroon in the lounge, is the best I've ever had, and the fresh pickerel (a Manitoba specialty) tasted like it was just pulled from the water, that morning…I'm from Newfoundland and Labrador, and appreciate good fish, and this was simply exceptional.

There is also a cool, hip vibe in the lounge. Each weekend, there's live jazz and it just adds another layer…fans will appreciate the quality, and the ambiance. Lounge colleagues, Jason, Jay, and AJ are wonderful, and remember what you like to drink :)

Complimentary shuttles to the downtown core, by the Bell Desk/Concierge colleagues, are so convenient and easy…don't forget to tip them, they work hard and will take such good care of you :)

The owners are to be commended for not only instilling a sense of empowerment in the colleagues, but also for their upkeep of the property, and impeccable attention to detail: there are countless service incidents I could fill this review up with, but suffice to say, you won't be disappointed in the Inn at the Forks.

I can't wait to get back…just checked out, today, and miss it already :(

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the incredible Human Rights Museum. You not only get a view of that fascinating piece of fluid architecture, but also the skyline, complete with the train going through: it's wonderful.