“New and nice at last”

Ranked #6 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Ottawa
“New and nice at last”
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Management told me that this hotel was built a decade ago. But it has the look and feel of a hotel that just opened its doors.
As a frequent business traveler to Winnipeg I opted for a different hotel this time. The older mainstays, such as the Fort Garry Hotel, while still nice, are showing their age. The Inn at the Forks is modern, and situated in the popular downtown market area. The rooms are clean, functional, and comfortable. The restaurant/lounge is fabulous and inexpensive. I have seldom encountered front desk staff as friendly as those at this hotel.
Little wonder that this hotel has reached the top five in Winnipeg.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank FussyVacationers
InnForksGSM, Guest Relations Manager at Inn at the Forks, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear Guests (I just can't bring myself to call you fussy vacationers!)

Thank you so much for your wonderful review about Inn at the Forks. We are so proud of our hotel and we are excited to be celebrating our 10th birthday this June!

We are so pleased to read that you enjoyed our hotel, staff and the amenities Inn at the Forks has to offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back - and watch for exciting birthday celebration specials in July and August.

Kindest regards,
Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 1 February 2014

This boutique hotel is located along the river in an tourist area known as The Forks. I stay here each time I visit Winnipeg. The rooms are spacious and clean, the staff friendly and there is an excellent restaurant on site (The Current) as well as many eateries in the Marketplace across the street. Their is an excellent spa on site as well. The hotel is adjacent to many museums and other attractions yet it feels very relaxed and welcoming.

Room Tip: Select a room on the 4th or 5th floor for a view of the city or river.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
InnForksGSM, Guest Relations Manager at Inn at the Forks, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you so much for posting such a great review about Inn at the Forks on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate that you took the time to do so and that you always stay with us when in Winnipeg!

I will be sharing your review with all of our staff and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kindest regards,

Inn at the Forks
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I have been staying here when I travel on business for about 4 years now. The locations is great with the Market and the Forks (as the name implies) at your door step. Unbeatable in the summer. Lots of museums close by that I have never taken the time to visit but look very nice. The rooms are beautiful and modern; even the towels are fluffy! The restaurant and lounge are great too if you don't want to venture out in the cold for a very nice meal. My only complaint is that the gym is pretty small and you have to get staff to let you in if it's before 7 am, but other than that it's great.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
InnForksGSM, Guest Relations Manager at Inn at the Forks, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you so much for posting your review on Trip Advisor - we appreciate the feedback.

Just so you are aware, we are waiting on a new lock programmer for that Fitness Centre Door so you won't have to have staff let you in before 7am.

So pleased to read that you enjoy staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back. When you are planning your next trip, send an e-mail my way and I will assist with making your reservations.

Kind regards,

cstephens@innforks.com
Morden, Canada
Reviewed 19 January 2014

My husband surprised me with a night's stay in the Riverstone suite for date night this weekend. We arrived after 9pm and were pleasantly surprised with the turndown service when we got to our room (#332). Soft music playing, waterfall and fireplaces (one in the living area, one in the bedroom) switched on and cookies waiting for us on the corners of the turned-down duvet. The bathroom was huge and very modern. I especially liked the green glass countertop and sink. We made use of the jetted tub and complimentary bath salts immediately. What a wonderful way to soak away the stress of the day.

Our Spa for Two package included a voucher for breakfast. The portions were so large neither of us could finish our meals (both of us ordered eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, toast, coffee and juice). Everything was delicious and the coffee was the perfect temperature.

After breakfast, we went to the spa downstairs for our couples massages. My first impression upon entering the lounge area was "Wow!" This spa is on par with the high-end spas I have been to in Hawaii (Maui Westin) and Las Vegas (Aria and Hilton Grand Vacations). Comfortable modern furniture and a beautiful fireplace to add to the cozy atmosphere. Before and after our massages, my husband and I spend some time enjoying a few of the emenities the spa had to offer. We highly recommend the steam saunas. After battling blizzard conditions on our way to Winnipeg the night before, that warmth was just what we needed to finally drive away the winter chill. Our massage therapists (Adam and Tabitha) were professional and highly trained. Tabitha was my therapist and she did a wonderful job relaxing my aching shoulder and neck muscles. The full body massage also included a hand and foot massage in the treatment, which was a bonus for someone like me who suffers from moderate arthritis pain.

We had requested late check-out the night before so we would not be so rushed to leave after our massages. The clerk at the front desk had mentioned there would be an extra charge, but it did not appear on our bill, which was fine with us. We did find it odd that since we were already paying over $600 for one night's stay (including breakfast voucher and couples massages), that they would try to charge us an extra $10 for one more hour in the room.

While I enjoyed my stay here very much, there is always room for improvement. For the Inn at the Forks they are as follows:

- The lighting in the bathroom is terrible. Far too dim for my liking. There is a lighted face mirror, but it would be great to be able to see myself properly in the large vanity mirror. I ended up keeping the bathroom door open to let in natural light from the windows.

- The blinds covering the windows in our room were broken. Maintenance needs to address this issue.

- Another item to be address in the bathroom is the loose faucet on the jetted tub. Easy fix. Also, I have to wonder why the bathroom designer didn't think to use frosted glass to hide the view of the toilet from the tub/shower area. Opaque glass is a simple solution if a separate commode area is not possible in the floor plan.

- The TV remote was difficult to operate. Not sure if the batteries were needing to be replaced, but for whatever reason, scrolling through the movie choices was a pain because the remote buttons never seemed to work properly.

- Upon check-in, there was no offer to help with our luggage and no luggage trolleys in sight. Luckily we only had one bag to schlep.

- When we arrived at the hotel spa, we were asked if we had been there before (we said this was our first visit), but the staff member did not give us a proper tour. I had to find my own way around the ladies changing room and figure out how to secure my personal items in a locker. At other higher end spas I have patronised, the staff make sure to show new clients where the rest rooms, showers and saunas are located. Not so during my visit here. Hopefully that was just an oversight. But that should not ever happen when you are paying these kinds of prices.

- When leaving the hotel after check-out, the valet who brought our vehicle made no attempt to help us with our luggage. He opened the door of the vehicle for me and helped me in (excellent), but left my husband to get the bag. I'm not sure if this is just how it is at the Inn at the Forks, but in our experience at other hotels, the valet usually lunges for the baggage in order to be as helpful as possible and secure a tip (We always tip the valet at least $5).

Overall, my husband and I enjoyed our stay and will most likely be back again. The king size bed was very comfortable and our room was nice and quiet. We both had a great night's sleep. We will make sure to book two nights next time so we can try out the hotel restaurant and do some shopping at the Forks just steps away.

Room Tip: Book your spa treatments well in advance. This place is busy.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
InnForksGSM, Guest Relations Manager at Inn at the Forks, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear Guests:

Wow - what a wonderful review to see on Trip Advisor. We are always appreciative of guests taking the time to let everyone know how their stay was at Inn at the Forks - seeing what we did right and what we need to improve upon.

First of all, thank you so much for letting us know how much you enjoyed the Riverstone Spa, the breakfast, your room and the turndown service. I was pleased to read that you were not charged for your late check-out either.

That being said, I will be speaking with our Bellmen. In fairness, we do only have one bellmen on at a time and they are also our Valet. Potentially, when you checked in, the Bellman/Valet may have been getting a car or assisting another guest with a luggage cart (as we have 3 of them) However, on check-out, the fact that your husband had to load up your luggage in the car himself was not acceptable. Thank you for mentioning this - we can not correct things if we don't hear about them.

This summer our restaurant is undergoing extensive renovations and our guestrooms will be renovated after that. Your concerns about lighting and the blinds are appreciated.

Thank you again for your review. When it comes time to book with us again, please e-mail me directly and I will assist with your accommodations.

Kind regards,

cstephens@innforks.com
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 15 January 2014

The location of this place is so perfect. The skating trail that surrounds this hotel alone is worth 5 stars for me. Additionally, the market is a 1 minute walk from the hotel, which makes this place a perfect location for travel to Winnipeg. If I travel to Winnipeg again, I will certainly choose this hotel as my #1 choice.

Room Tip: There seems to be a few rooms at the end of the halls that are much larger than others, it may be po...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ben h
Campbell River
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I recently spent 4 nights in this hotel. My room was very clean, had a great view of a mini skating rink and the Human Rights Museum, soon to be open. The staff are very friendly. I used the Valet service, which was very prompt. Breakfast was included in my room. I can't say enough about the service in the dining room, or the lounge. I spent time walking around the Market and the lovely little shops at the Forks. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Winnipeg Manitoba
Reviewed 10 December 2013

My wife and I spent a night here just to get away. The cost of this hotel is very high, but if you are willing to pay for luxury then you won't be disappointed with this hotel. The rooms are very spacious, and the king size beds are soft and comfortable for a good nights sleep. We didn't have an opportunity to visit the spa, but we did check it out and it looked excellent. The restaurant in this hotel is not cheap but the breakfast we had was superb. I ordered the eggs with bison sausage and bannock and I seriously could have split it with my wife and we would have both been full. If you are visiting Winnipeg and need to be downtown then the location of this hotel is good, although the Delta which is attached to the Convention center is better located for staying out of the cold. If you are visiting Winnipeg and want more information I would be happy to help you out.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple