“Lunch break.”

Ranked #51 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Winnipeg, Canada
“Lunch break.”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I enjoyed lunch at the Hostel as the building has been compleatly revamped to serve travelers and students. Lunch can be Indian or Canadian, there is a buffet table at noon and a group of ladies came for that and a chat. I had chicken with rice, it came with fries too which were hot and fresh. My friend had a cheese dish which I tried and it was mild. Not a spice fan I want to try the burger next. The staff are friendly and running the hostel is a new experience for them, there have been many changes since the building was a hotel. It is near the Sargent bus route, north of Portage place and the Bay, and still finding a customer base. No bar but beer in the fridge I note but I do not drink. Chie tea was fresh and not pre packaged, and deserts are sweet.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed 10 October 2013

This was an okay hostel, nothing amazing but I didn't have a bad experience. The staff was friendly and accommodated my unexpectedly late arrival well (side note: check if border crossings are open late at night if that's when you're planning on crossing). They had issues with administration, like putting the right date on my parking pass, or having a credit card payment machine that worked.

The room was all right and for a few nights, I had a dorm room to myself because there weren't a lot of other guests at the hostel. It was hard to tell how often the washroom was cleaned, and it bothered me a bit that it didn't seem to be everyday, considering there could be several people using it. The garbage bin in the room I stayed in for a few days was overflowing by the time I was leaving.

They have a guest kitchen but didn't show it to me or tell me about it upon my arrival. I only had coffee and breakfast at their restaurant once, but it was good, and the buffet seemed to be a good deal, although I didn't try it (mostly because I kept ending up at other places around the city).

One of the best things about this hostel was its location. It's really close to downtown Winnipeg, which was very convenient for my purposes. That said, the staff didn't seem to have a lot of engagement with the city; I was there primarily to do research for my thesis, but it would have been nice to have been directed to interesting things to do via maps or something.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I came to Winneg to study and had to stay at the hostel for four nights before I could move to my flat and it was terrible. The staff is unfriendly and incompetent. I already payed half of the price in advance and they wanted me to pay the full amount again.
I booked a room with one bed and got a room with two double beds. The room hadn't been cleaned after the guests before me left it. There still were trash and the beds weren't made.
The bathroom was dirty as well.
But the worst were the nights. You could here people drinking, fighting, screaming and shouting all the night. It sounded like they would like to kill each other, all night long. Sleeping was impossible.

I would NEVER NEVER NEVER recommend this Hostel. It is awful! Do not go there.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo