“High Expectations but Several Flaws”

The Grand Winnipeg Airport Hotel
Ranked #4 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Toronto, Canada
“High Expectations but Several Flaws”
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Booked three nights here over Family Day weekend. The location is convenient, directly across the street from the Winnipeg Airport Terminal. Had a great rate of $128 through preferred hotels. The staff are mostly well trained and friendly. The hotel is new, modern and clean.

The hotel smelled of jet fuel in the hallways. You could hear jet engine noise inside the room, but being at the airport but I suppose this is to be expected due to location.

I was very disappointed that the hotel would not allow a late checkout without a fee of $10 per hour...any comparable hotel (we've stayed often at The Fairmont and Inn and The Forks) would accommodate a late check out if the room is not needed (which ours wasn't) and not nickle and dime it's guests. It's quite insulting and I would not return for this reason. So lakeview Grand, you won't have repeat business over insisting on a $20 charge for a minor 2 hour late check out request.

What really got me angry with this hotel was that thy changed our rate from $128 to $170 per night. I had to argue with The front desk clerk who insisted a manager was not on duty for 2 more days to correct the rate. I had to email my original reservation to validate the rate and still it was not corrected. This is absolutely sketchy and unprofessional and also for this reason we would not return. This particular front desk clerk really needs to brush up on her customer service skills.

I would advise to book elsewhere. The rates are competitive with much nicer and better run hotels in the city.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Alicia Z
Danielle S, Front Office Manager at The Grand Winnipeg Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Alicia,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your last stay. Please accept my sincerest apologies for your dissatisfaction of our hotel. We do strive to provide great customer service here at the Grand Winnipeg Airport Hotel and unfortunately we have some steps to take to ensure our valued guests leave our property happy and wanting to come back.

I would like to take this opportunity if I may to touch base on a few of the issues you mentioned above. Our hotel is equipped with airport grade triple pane windows throughout and we have received many positive comments from guests surprised how quiet our guest rooms are. On the night of your visit, there was possibly a few more of the smaller planes that unfortunately park and unload directly across from us. This can also cause the reason for a unique smell sometimes that comes in the entrance doors of the hotel and travels. However our air system is extremely efficient and rids the smell in a quick manner, leaving clean fresh air throughout the hotel.

I believe there may have been a bit of confusion upon your departure regarding your charges. Your rate was mistakenly changed, however upon check out the rate was fixed and you were charged per your original booking. Should you require a second copy of this receipt please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I would also like to touch base on the fact that all though I am not 100% familiar with the actual conversation you had with the front desk clerk upon check out, there were no late fee charges charged to your credit card. IPrefer guests do have the benefit of an early check-in and late check-out should our availability allow. And you are correct, your room was not immediately needed and a late check-out was given at no additional cost.
I am sorry you feel our staff did not provide you with the best customer service they are trained to provide. I do hope we can connect and discuss this further at your convenience. Again I thank you for your feedback and know that we do strive to provide the best customer service possible and with your feedback we are able to see areas of weakness and turn them into a great strength. I truly do hope you provide us with a second chance to show how we take pride in our hotel and value each and every guest that stays with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Vancouver
Reviewed 13 February 2014

This is a wonderful hotel. Clean, organized rooms that are very comfortable with all the modern conveniences including smart TV, in room ipad, beautiful bathrooms with glass rain shower. Everything is so well thought through including all the finishes. The bar/restaurant is great. Really inventive food. Just a perfect spot and very convenient being right at the airport. The staff are very attentive and helpful.

Room Tip: All rooms are great!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Kenora
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Stayed for a very short period, just overnight with no extra time, early flight in the morning. Didn't use the facilities or go to the restaurant, but I will certainly do so next time. The service was absolutely fantastic and the beds are absolutely amazing!! Certainly the most comfortable sleep I've had in any hotel to date. Will definitely be choosing this hotel for all of my pre-flight stays.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Winnipeg
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Unparalleled experience of any hotel I have stayed in in Winnipeg. Watching the runway planes take off and land....seeing the sun rise and set through floor to ceiling soundproof windows....amazing! Highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Kenora
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Very nice new and clean hotel. Staff friendly and helpful. Rooms spacious and comfortable. Complimentary coffee and water in room very nice bonus. Parking for longer than overnight for those staying then flying the next day would be convenient.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Morden, Canada
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Beautiful new Hotel! Friendly and professional staff.
Excellent guest room. We had a Standard room but it looked as if we had been upgraded. The rooms all have iPads and other nice amenities that would make any stay enjoyable. Very comfortable beds and bedding. I wonder what the suites were like. Wow.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Roseville
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Very nice new hotel at the Winnipeg airport. European style rooms, very clean and modern. Loved the lounge. They stayed open later than usual for the customers arriving late. The restaurant is also first rate.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business