“What a Wonderful Surprise”
Review of Mere Hotel

Mere Hotel
Ranked #5 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed 16 June 2014

What a nice surprise for an ex Winnipegger who had not yet seen the revitalization of this area!
We were a tad leary of the location but in fact it was perfect. Close to the famous Forks and to the updated and revitalised Albert street area. Lots of great dining choices and shops!
Staff were spot on. Couldn't have been bettter trained and the best I have had to work with in a long time so kudos to all of you. However didn't like the 8 a.m. wake up by housekeeping... a little too early for service to begin!
The hotel itself is very Euro in design... simple but very tasteful. Rooms are large and beautifully appointed. Being on the main floor with a river view was great but the shades provided did not offer privacy had to keep the drapes drawn which of course eliminated the view... I am sure this can be corrected with different materials.
We also did not like the glass partition into the bathroom... As long as there were no lights on it was okay but...even with shades drawn one could see your partner trying to have private time... if you know what I mean!!!
Included in the room were Cliff bars, juice, water and Nespresso... all free to the guests. Amenities in the room were substansive and quality... Truly great value for all that was provided.
A/C noise was an issue and had to turn it off at night. Thankfully weather was cool so not a problem. Would not have liked it mid summer!
The architecture was very unique and interesting and we fondly called it our clown jail!
My whole family was there to celebrate a family reunion and all of us were more than happy with this hotel choice!
The restaurant Cibo on the same property was a great choice for dinner... breakfast was okay! Would have been great to be able to sign it to our room... but not a big deal!
All in all it was a great stay and would I stay there again... absolutely!!!
Ms. McKenzie (manager) well done!

Room Tip: River view is a must and suggest staying above "street" level for more privacy and less a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I visit the Mere Hotel in Winnipeg quite often, and am always amazed by the service I receive. The professionalism of the staff is always incredible, and rooms are always on point, beautiful, and clean. I don't think I can ever say I have had a poor experience here. I spend days at a time here with my wife, and can quite confidently say this is one of our favorite spots.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jay W
Reviewed 15 June 2014

This review is based on a six-night stay at the Mere, a small boutique hotel (67 rooms) in downtown Winnipeg located along the west shore of the Red River. It is one of the newest hotels in the city and one of the most modern both in its architecture and in its use of state of the art gadgetry. My wife and I occupied room 207 on the second floor facing the street.

From the outside, the hotel has a very distinct appearance with the walls completely covered with multi-coloured vertical pipes. We liked the style but doubt that it will please everybody. From the inside looking out gives the impression that we’re in a cage as the 2 to 3-inch diameter pipes, 10 to 12 inches apart, run across the windows from top to bottom. They interfere with the view to an extent, but to us it didn't matter because the view is not that great around the hotel anyway. Looking west, the hotel faces a quiet street lined with non-descript apartment buildings. Towards the east, it faces an undeveloped stretch of the Red River, which has little to offer in terms of view.

This hotel is so different from any that we have been to previously that there is a lot to say about it. Starting with things that we liked, and trying to keep it short, we found the hotel very clean, our king size bed very comfortable, and the hotel staff very helpful and pleasant - you're always greeted with a smile. The rooms are not large, but they are tastefully decorated. The windows are sound-proof, so there is no noise coming from the outside. However, you will hear people talking in the hallways even at low voice, and the sound of shutting doors. The AC system functions efficiently but the unit in our room was excessively noisy. Unless you're a sound sleeper (or use ear plugs) you're likely to be bothered by it if you have it on during the night. We also enjoyed the "rainforest" showerhead, the complimentary Nespresso coffee machine as well as free access to bottled water, juices and snacks in the minibar. Wi-fi is accessible in the rooms free of charge, which is very nice.

Amongst the things that we didn’t like, the modern interior décor does not provide for any comfortable place to sit. If you’re spending any time inside the room, watching television, for example, you will probably end up on the bed, which we found rather awkward especially if you have guests visiting. The entrance door to the room as well as the private safe work with RFID (quick scan) technology. This gadget is very convenient to unlock the door, but we didn’t feel that it was secure enough for the safe as we often leave one of the two card keys in the room when we go out together. The lighting in the room is not particularly efficient (mostly too dim) and we found the controls rather confusing.

Our bathroom was small, almost tiny, but what we really didn't like about it is the fact that one of the walls that separates it from the bedroom is made of clear glass. There is a screen that you can pull down, but that screen is not completely opaque. If the light is on in the bathroom and the bedroom is dark, the person using the bathroom has no privacy.

The hotel has no restaurant per se, but the Cibo Waterfront Café is only 10 metres away. You still have to step outside to get there, which is fine in good weather but can be annoying when it rains or during the winter. Cibo serves pub-like food, which is tasty and we rate the service as excellent. The only drawback is that the menu offers limited choices; if you have more than a few meals there, you will end up eating the same things more than once.

Despite the shortcomings, my wife and I enjoyed this hotel. We would consider staying here again if they corrected a few of the faults. Top on our list would be the lack of privacy in the bathroom, a problem that should be easy to fix.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the street but most people prefer the river side because of the nicer view...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed for three nights on a recent trip out west. This was easily the best value of any of the seven hotels where we stayed.

The advance booking, ground floor, city view room was clean, comfortable, and quite. This boutique hotel has a number of nice finishes. The staff were very service oriented.

No breakfast, but free snacks, juice and coffee are included.

The location is good - just a short walk to many restaurants.

Just one quibble - the chair in the room is meant more for style than comfort!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My wife and I stayed the night on Valentine's day this year. The hotel is new, and it shows! The bathroom was spotless, and the hotel robes were probably the softest robes we have ever come across!

The staff were very friendly, and provided wine glasses upon request. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

Note - The only dining option within walking distance of the hotel is Cibo, which is on the hotel property.

Room Tip: Spending a few extra dollars to get a river view room would be nice, especially in the summer.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Very impressed with the high end look and luxurious feel! The high threadcount bedding was so nice to sleep in. Loved the ultra soft robes provided. Very pleased with how quickly the heat & air conditioning worked in the room. Also loved the Nespresso in the room and the complimentary water, juice & cliff bars. The bathroom was modern. Shower was awesome with the rain shower and hand-held options. The service at nice was wonderful however felt the morning crew at the front desk were a little cold and removed. Overall very happy with my stay!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Great hotel! I have been to Winnipeg twice before and usually stay at the Fairmont but wanted to try this place out. The lobby and the rooms are modern with a very European feel. The beds were extremely comfortable and I would love to know where to buy those robes.. Amazing. My first night I asked Lauren at the front desk for dinner suggestions and was very pleased with how knowledgable she was of the area. She gave me several suggestions in which two I got to try during my stay...both were great. The gentleman checking me out, Tyler, was also very kind so cheers on your great staff. The only two things I will comment on are parking and the TVs. Parking is very limited with small spaces. I was able to find a spot each night but it was pretty tight most times. Also, the TVs had described video turned on although it seemed only certain channels had this problem. The staff helped me turn it off but once I turned the TV off and back on again the voice over was there again. Asides from that, great place. I will definitely come back to this hotel next time I'm in town.

• Stayed: June 2014