“Some Great, Some Not”

Ranked #4 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Fargo, North Dakota
“Some Great, Some Not”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I chose the Mere Hotel for a recent trip to Winnipeg for a short getaway. The hotel is situated about a 15-20 minute walk away from many Winnipeg attractions including the Forks, Shaw stadium, the Manitoba Museum to name a few. It is right on the Red River and the view from my room was serene, beautiful. In addition, there is a large park next to the park which is very nice and connects the hotel to the Forks area. On one of the days that we were there, Shaw stadium had fireworks which we could see from our room. Breathtaking. Our room, rm 222 did not have "bars" over the window.

The entire room was superbly clean and decorated. I couldn't have been more pleased with the comfortable beds. The room size was also very nice. Some comments have mentioned the bathroom, which has a window to the room and also faces the window to the room. This did not bother me as the window also has a very thick shade for privacy.

We had really nice service from a few of the desk people who recommended restaurants, events, venues, etc. You could really get a sense of the city from them. They also have menus for several of the restaurants in the area.

One problem with the room was the noise, not from adjoining rooms but the hallway. The doors shut heavily so every door being shut is heard in your room. The housekeepers start early in the morning. We were awakened by their general noise the first morning of our stay, but after calling the front desk, we had no additional issues. In addition, our room on the second floor was right next to the ice maker which is used by staff members EVERY morning. I would imagine that you would hear this in several of the rooms. My personal opinion is that something should be done to make the doors shut more quietly and the ice maker me moved to another location.

So, overall, the service and decor of the rooms are very nice. The quality of the housekeeping is SUPERB which is really important in a hotel. What I liked about the location is that it is not immediately next to some attractions but close.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without the bars from the exterior of the building. The view is breathtaking.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Stephanie S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Enjoyed visit and hotel was all that I expected. First trip to Winnipeg and wasn't sure what I would get but was pleasantly surprised. Appreciated the room amenities. Appreciated that the hotel was close to town as well as close to the ball park and greenway along the river.

Minot, North Dakota
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This was my first time traveling to Winnipeg, and I chose this hotel based on TripAdvisor reviews. My friend and I stayed in a double queen suite. Overall a nice stay, but wasn't WOW'd like I wanted to be. Besides some food/beverages, there's no amenities or extras that they give you. I appreciate minimalist and modern, but this almost had no personality... Just average overall.

Pros:
The location is nice - located in a park and right on the river.
Great bathroom with a fun glass wall.
Double room had a great view of the river.
Staff was overall friendly.
Complimentary water, juice, and Cliff bars in the rooms.

Cons:
If you're in any room besides the doubles, you'll have a great view of the bars that cover the exterior of the hotel.
The only ice machine they have is on the second floor, so you have to walk and take the elevator to get to it if you need anything.
Not really a fun part of town. Next time I'll stay by the Forks.
Tiny little parking lot that you need to pay for.
Elevator brought us to the basement on accident a few times where we were greeted by a team of housekeepers looking surprised we were there (I'm assuming they pressed a call button?)- makes you feel a little awkward and unwelcome.

Room Tip: Get a double riverfront room if you don't want to look at bars on your windows.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Brittany D
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Mere was a really nice hotel. There was no noise transfer into my room from the corridor or other rooms. Cleanest hotel I've ever been in. Modern, minimalist decor. The bathroom was just "wow". All glass (including the wall - but with a pull down blind) and a spa like shower. Obviuosly NOT appropriate for families - but great for couples and business travellers.

Room had everything I needed. Hotel is surrounded by a park, with a river on one side (a murky, muddy river - but that's the river's fault). It's in the city center though - so close to everything. Dining on the weekends was a bit scant - as the city center is a ghost town with cars and not much else. It's a small center though - so we drove only a short way to restaurants.

Came on business and would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you choose a room facing the street, you'll need to close the curtains (and it's a bit da...
Moorhead, Minnesota
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My friend and I stayed in a double queen suite in April 2014. The hotel is beautiful and the staff is excellent. There was a slight problem with my reservations, but this was the problem of the booking website I used, not the hotel. The staff figured it out quickly and I was all set.

The location can't be beat for visiting pubs or getting to the MTS Centre. We were able to walk to several pubs and it is probably a little less than a mile from the nearest underground walkway to get to the MTS. In April, the walk wasn't bad at all, but in January, it might be a bit too cold.

The room is FANTASTIC! I cannot express enough at the amazing room. The beds are VERY comfy, the bathroom is modern, there is plenty of space, plenty of storage, and the in-room coffee system was top-notch.

There is a restaurant only feet from the back door of the hotel. It is amazing and I highly recommend them as well.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Christina P
Calgary
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I had a nice waterfront room. The park nearby is very nice for walking, and location is near downtown. Original decor, mini fridge. Not much to eat nearby. The outside colour "tubes" make this a distinctive hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river. Avoid ground floor as the walking path goes right by your window
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night with a friend of mine. Great robes and plush towels, shower (2 heads including a rainfall shower). Had a room with a river view. Got a good deal by asking for their "entertainment rate". Modern and very clean. Downside: LOUD air conditioning unit that woke me up every time it came on and only way to get privacy from people walking along the waterfront were to pull their blackout blinds. Would have preferred underground parking but our car was full of stuff and ended up being fine. Staff were super nice and the toiletries are GREAT, along with their TV/music set up, espresso machine, and free snacks. Absolutely great extra touch. Would certainly stay there again and do recommend it.

Stayed July 2014