West Gate Manor
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Winnipeg
See available hotels
Delta Hotels Winnipeg(Winnipeg)
Fort Garry Hotel(Winnipeg)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 June 2008

John and Louise are super nice people! The house is large and has an antique flavour. The modern 3rd floor bathroom is recently updated, but the 2nd floor could use some work.

Rooms are clean and my bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 March 2008

I was totally fooled by their Website. When I got to Winnipeg, I was tired and couldn't find the place. A very rude owner answered the phone and gave me directions which didn't help at all. I got there and found both owners were rude and unpleasant, the carpet in the entry was filthy and disgusting. The room was nice but the bathroom was shared with 3 other rooms and was not very clean. I felt totally uncomfortable in this BB from the moment I stepped in until the last day. Breakfast was crowded with too many people at the table and even if I am not a big eater, the portions were way too small and the food was very ordinary. The hosts were not at all friendly. Overall this was the worst stay of my life, I would rather camp than go back there.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled solo
2  Thank travellingcanada
Reviewed 7 June 2007

I stayed here from 6/1 to 6/4. John and Louise are the best innkeepers that I've met in my day. I stayed in the Walnut Room - which for me, being a very busy business traveler, was perfect. The side sun/office room fully equipped with Wi-Fi access and a beautiful view of the street and surrounding neighborhood was smashing! John and Louise really made me feel at home there. The bed ... the bed!! I thought the bed was old and rickety at first, but when I got there all flabbergasted, I took a nap ... and I was refreshed!! Even though there are some physical flaws ... nothing major with the bathroom (old tub with detachable shower head) and toilet in the adjacent room ... there was no actual "lock" on the door - there was a hook ... that didn't bother me. What else? ... their decor was beautiful and and a sense of "home" there ... Their physical location of where their BnB is perfect - you are literally minutes away from Portage Place, Assiniboine Park, and downtown ... they do have updated pamphlets of tourist sites in Winnipeg, but please do research too ... I have friends there and they showed me the "hole in the wall places" that aren't in brochures. As for the food ... I wasn't satisfied with the food ... because, I'm a BIG eater ... but for the standard fare, the pancakes, Canadian bacon, and fresh fruit were delightful. If you are looking for a romantic night ... I would highly suggest here ... John and Louise have been doing this for years ... and I hope that there BnB lasts a long time. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank sailordragonball
Reviewed 4 June 2007

The bedrooms are spacious, beautifully decorated with antiques and have extra comforable beds. John and Louise were attentive hosts and made us feel like it was our home and not just a room for the night. I was not offended when asked to remove my shoes at the front door,as apparently some reviewers were, but delighted that the hosts cared so well for their home. As with all older properties, almost constant maintenance is a must and West Gate Manor is no exception. John has done an excellent job renovating and continues to repair or replace worn out parts of their home as required. My wife and I have stayed at the Manor twice and will be staying many more times. Try it you will love it.

Jim and Shirley

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2007

I stayed in this bed-and-breakfast in April 2007. I tend to agree with the other commentators about the experience. The character home is in need of renovation/restoration and seems to lack the trimboards in most rooms (?). The breakfast was pretty small and bland both days with no toast with the omelette on the first day (?) and a couple of pieces of french toast (no bacon or ham) the second day. The bathroom needs a makeover as no shelf was evident for a shaving kit/cosmetic bag. The lighting for shaving is pretty dim with one light in the bath area. On the plus side, my room was clean and the hosts were friendly.

The unfortunate problem is that this place has lots of potential with six rooms available for rent. The location is great as it is close to downtown, the Forks, Polo Park and other attractions.

Visitors to Winnipeg can do much better by staying in one of the members of Bed and Breakfast Manitoba. These premises are inspected and have to follow a code of standards. I would have booked with their members for this visit but the better B&B's were all booked for the same weekend.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family