“A perfect getaway from city life.”
Review of West Gate Manor

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Winnipeg
West Gate Manor
Ranked #9 of 14 Winnipeg B&B and Inns
Chicago - Waukegan/Lindenhust/Gurnee
“A perfect getaway from city life.”
Reviewed 7 June 2007

I stayed here from 6/1 to 6/4. John and Louise are the best innkeepers that I've met in my day. I stayed in the Walnut Room - which for me, being a very busy business traveler, was perfect. The side sun/office room fully equipped with Wi-Fi access and a beautiful view of the street and surrounding neighborhood was smashing! John and Louise really made me feel at home there. The bed ... the bed!! I thought the bed was old and rickety at first, but when I got there all flabbergasted, I took a nap ... and I was refreshed!! Even though there are some physical flaws ... nothing major with the bathroom (old tub with detachable shower head) and toilet in the adjacent room ... there was no actual "lock" on the door - there was a hook ... that didn't bother me. What else? ... their decor was beautiful and and a sense of "home" there ... Their physical location of where their BnB is perfect - you are literally minutes away from Portage Place, Assiniboine Park, and downtown ... they do have updated pamphlets of tourist sites in Winnipeg, but please do research too ... I have friends there and they showed me the "hole in the wall places" that aren't in brochures. As for the food ... I wasn't satisfied with the food ... because, I'm a BIG eater ... but for the standard fare, the pancakes, Canadian bacon, and fresh fruit were delightful. If you are looking for a romantic night ... I would highly suggest here ... John and Louise have been doing this for years ... and I hope that there BnB lasts a long time. I can't wait to go back!

• Liked — The bed!!
  • Disliked — The food ... bigger portions for bigger guys ... but, really ... I had no problems!
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank sailordragonball

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Kenora, ON
Reviewed 4 June 2007

The bedrooms are spacious, beautifully decorated with antiques and have extra comforable beds. John and Louise were attentive hosts and made us feel like it was our home and not just a room for the night. I was not offended when asked to remove my shoes at the front door,as apparently some reviewers were, but delighted that the hosts cared so well for their home. As with all older properties, almost constant maintenance is a must and West Gate Manor is no exception. John has done an excellent job renovating and continues to repair or replace worn out parts of their home as required. My wife and I have stayed at the Manor twice and will be staying many more times. Try it you will love it.

Jim and Shirley

• Liked — Peaseful and scenic area, close to down town and great restaurants
  • Disliked — Can think of anything
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
Regina, Saskatchewan
Reviewed 28 April 2007

I stayed in this bed-and-breakfast in April 2007. I tend to agree with the other commentators about the experience. The character home is in need of renovation/restoration and seems to lack the trimboards in most rooms (?). The breakfast was pretty small and bland both days with no toast with the omelette on the first day (?) and a couple of pieces of french toast (no bacon or ham) the second day. The bathroom needs a makeover as no shelf was evident for a shaving kit/cosmetic bag. The lighting for shaving is pretty dim with one light in the bath area. On the plus side, my room was clean and the hosts were friendly.

The unfortunate problem is that this place has lots of potential with six rooms available for rent. The location is great as it is close to downtown, the Forks, Polo Park and other attractions.

Visitors to Winnipeg can do much better by staying in one of the members of Bed and Breakfast Manitoba. These premises are inspected and have to follow a code of standards. I would have booked with their members for this visit but the better B&B's were all booked for the same weekend.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Overall interior, breakfast, and value
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank RoughRiderFan
London Ontario
Reviewed 27 March 2007

We stayed a great 5 days at John and Louise's lovely house. Our bedroom was furnished with wonderful antique furniture and accessories as was the rest of the house. The shared bathroom was reminiscent of baths in the older house that we owned. In talking with the owners, and being given a guided tour, I was impressed with the renovations they have accomplished to date. They shared their plans for future renovations and a revisit is definitely needed on our part to see the changes. Breakfasts were always good and hearty, we were amazed at how they managed to greet and serve us and all the other guests who arrived at different times, it must be the fabulous kitchen that Louise has! John and Louise were able to provide us with super information on the sites of Winnipeg we wished to see. We would recommend a stay to anyone wanting a unique lodging experience, rather than a cookie cutter hotel/motel. On our next trip to Winnipeg, we will definitely be staying at the West Gate Manor

• Liked — The pleasant surroundings
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 13 March 2007

Just a note of thanks to John and Louise for the fabulous stay at their B+B this winter.

My wife and I travel extensively in North America and Europe and make a point of trying to stay in smaller boutique accomodations.

Westgate Manor in our humble opinion is one of the best we have stayed at.

The house is expansive and newly renovated. The old world antiques and decorations fit in with the historic Winnipeg area it is located in. The breakfasts changed daily and were hot, tasty and served on time every morning.

John and Louise were obvious experts in the local Winnipeg area and were available to offer choices in restaurants and entertainment.

If you appreciate the Bed and Breakfast experience and are tired of cookie cutter hotel rooms with thin pillows and sheets then there is no better place to stay!!

• Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank worldtravellerNY
Montreal, Quebec
Reviewed 13 March 2007

My two sisters and I spent four nights at the West Gate Manor while we were visiting relatives in Winnipeg. Our two rooms were very nice,
with comfortable beds and we shared a completely redone bathroom. The hosts of West Gate Manor are very friendly and we enjoyed talking with them while we ate a lovely breakfast each morning in the dining room. West Gate is in a beautiful neighbourhood, you can walk to downtown and off-street parking was available. We would definitely stay at West Gate Manor on return trips to Winnipeg.

Stayed February 2007
1 Thank Montrealtraaveller
HALIFAX
Reviewed 14 February 2007

We crossed Canada staying in all provinces in both B & B's and hotels - this was certainly one of the finer ones. The owner was friendly and helpful - the house is BEAUTIFUL - we loved the location. It was clean and run very well and kept up - we would definately recommend this place to anyone - our thanks to the owners for making our stay so enjoyable.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — that we had to leave
  • Stayed February 2007