“Excellent Anniversary!”

Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Winkler, Canada
“Excellent Anniversary!”
Reviewed 23 June 2011

My wife and I stayed in the Caribbean suite for our anniversary and had an excellent time. I booked only about a week ahead and the lady on the phone (Sarah I think) was very pleasant and helpful. I was a little concerned when I was told the room would be charged right away and that there were no refunds offered only rescheduling but everything turned out fine. I also went with a couples massage as my work benefits covered most of that cost.

When we arrived I parked at the parkade on Albert Street about a block or two away and we were checked in quickly. The massage was supposed to be a secret and while we were checking in the lady at the desk asked my wife to go pick up some movies while she talked to me about the massages which was appreciated, although I had already told my wife so it was not necessary. We were then taken up the stairs to our room, it bears mentioning that there are a good amount of stairs, only a couple flights worth but it felt like a lot. We were shown how to use everything in the room and then she left us alone.

The room itself was fantastic and everything went very smoothly, the massage was great, and as for food we just went to one of the nearby restaurants in the Exchange District. My only complaints would be that we were able to hear sirens as they drove by, which seemed to be about six times over the stay and the parking in the parkade was 26 dollars for the approx 23 hours we were there but that is not really the hotels fault. The pictures on the website do not really do the hotel justice but I was told that they are working on updating their site to include the new suites they have completed or are working on completing like the China, Egypt, and Paris rooms. My wife and I had a great time and if it is financially possible we will be trying to make this an annual event.

Room Tip: Our windows faced McDermot, loud sirens there.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank friesenth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Belleville, Canada
Reviewed 22 June 2011

The rooms are incredible and you can see that the owner's take great pride in running their business. I had the luxury of staying in the Penthouse Suite that is out of this world. My 5 business associates who also stayed at the hotel, and I took Lowells advice and dined in my penthouse suite while watching the Stanley Cup Final. Certainly not the outcome we were hoping for in the game but we certainly enjoyed watching the game on the large screen tv while playing pool in the gigantic room. The hotel can sell itself but Lowell certainly adds to the charm of the place. Thanks Lowell for the memorable stay.

Room Tip: A must stay, you won`t be disappointed.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank ctliv
Reviewed 21 June 2011

This place is just SOOO incredibly dodgy. STAY away.

My girlfriend wanted to plan a special treat for my birthday so she booked a massage package at Mariaggi's. Her reasoning was that if this was the top-rated place in the city it had to be great. We were both really disappointed.

First of all this is NOT a HOTEL per se. This is just a lame sex hotel like in Blue Valentine. What hotel doesn't have phones in the rooms or staff on the desk past 6 pm? Or before 10am? Or tells you absolutely NO REFUNDS once they ring your card through?

It began at check-in when we were "greeted" by a cantankerous woman in jeans and a stretched out cotton tshirt who was not the least bit interested in speaking to us. She gruffly told us to pick out 10 cds or dvds and disappeared... strictly the worst of Columbia House. 15 minutes later she reappeared and told someone else to take "those people" to their room. A nice young girl showed us how to work the waterfall tub and left us to prepare for the massages. The massages were fine... performed by RMTs with their own "to go" tables. But after the massage our "lunch" arrived. This establishment does not have a kitchen but pushes clients to purchase its overpriced dinner options. We asked where the lunch was coming from and were told evasively that "we have a chef." The "chef" was the lunch counter at the Winnipeg Free Press Cafe below. Why not just say where it comes from? It was brought in by a woman who slammed the plates and cutlery onto the table with such force it is a wonder the food didn't fly off the plates.

The waterfall tub was very nice but when we attempted to shower to head out for a dinner reservation there was NO hot water. After our cold showers we headed out for a nice dinner elsewhere. We came back to the empty hotel... slightly unnerved by the fact there was no security or any staff onhand. The next morning we decided to leave as soon as possible and made breakfast reservations at The Fort Garry (which is where we should have stayed in the first place). Problem was... there was no one around for check out. We started to work through the list of phone numbers left on the front desk and finally got some guy on the phone who said there was a big staff party the night before but that someone would be in in half an hour.

I'll say this: the room was clean, comfortable, and unique BUT the service was just terrible. These people don't understand the first thing about the hospitality industry. You cannot treat guests as though they are an imposition and you cannot pretend to be a hotel when you are just a third rate theme room boarding house.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
15 Thank monkeybay
Reviewed 19 June 2011

I had a great time will definitely be returning staff and rooms are amazing it was a wonderful experience! Staff was friendly and inviting and willing to assist anytime you needed! Rooms were clean and provided a romantic atmosphere. The only downfall is the location only because parking is hard to find!

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank vwbigjon
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 19 June 2011

We stayed here three nights as we travelled west through Canada and we couldn't resist staying another night here when we passed back through Winnipeg eastbound. This hotel is so clean. It has amazing atmosphere with country themed rooms and suites which are inspiringly decorated with artifacts from that country. Whether you choose Japan, Rome, Mexico, Morocco, China, India, the Carribean or the others, you will think you travelled much farther than just to Winnipeg. The beds and bedding are great. The owners Don and Lowell are often discreetly on site, ensuring that any special
requests are met. Terry at the desk is so friendly and helpful. Within the same building is the Free Press Cafe. This restaurant is a great asset to Mariaggi's. Their food is well above average hotel fare. It is an interesting environment with some Winnipeg Free Press reporters often working on their computers at the window desks. Every morning we enjoyed breakfast here. This hotel is in the historic Exchange District where there are many interesting shops to explore. It is just around the corner from the famous Portage and Main intersection. Great area of the city for walking and exploring.
Once you stay at this hotel, you will definitely want to go back. It is therapy for the soul, and so conducive for keeping a relationship exciting. We have stayed in many good hotels, but we have never experienced waterfall hot tubs, steam showers, unique wall coverings and variety of floorings, luxury bubble bath and perfumes provided like this, in amazing surroundings. As well, it is obvious to us that maintaining the fixtures, equipment and furnishings in the rooms is a top priority. Can't wait to go to Winnipeg again to stay here.

Room Tip: Take a taxi here, the Parkade parking is expensive
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PA32pilot
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Once again our visit to Mariaggi's was precisely what the Dr ordered. We stayed in Mexico which was earthy, romantic & cozy with just a touch of kitsch, supplied by folk art & red chili pepper lights above the bar/table area. This room is the smallest in the hotel, just the right size for two & we loved the coziness of it, you can almost hop from the bed straight into the tub & back again!
We were pleased to see that a drink machine has been placed in the hall & that the most recent renovations to the common areas are finished & beautiful. We can't wait for the latest rooms to be ready for guests: Egypt & Paris, we will definitely be staying in Egypt as soon as we can! Lowell showed us the plans being drawn up for a new 'big' suite (around 50 guests maximum to the Jakarta Suite's 60 or so capacity) to be done in a Cuban theme.
The staff & owners, as always in our many experiences with them, were friendly, polite, helpful & accommodating as well as discreet & non-obtrusive, which we always greatly appreciate.
We highly recommend paying the extra $20 for a later check out (1pm instead of 11am), it is MORE than worth it.
Thanks again to everyone at Mariaggi's, we couldn't have picked a better way to celebrate 21 years of being a couple & 14 years of marriage. We love that we can have an authentic feeling & affordable escape to truly enjoy some our special couple-times together, without having to leave the city

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peniuk
Reviewed 29 May 2011

My first stop was the Mariaggi's Theme Suite Hotel and Spa located in the heart of Winnipeg. For $285 I had booked the Rome room. While talking to the front desk agent on the phone beforehand I was assured that all the times in the room had been collected from Rome. I told the man on the on the other end of the line that it was for my wedding anniversary and he said I booked the best place in the city, however he would like it if I could book into the room before we went out to dinner as per their policy all guest must check in before 6 pm. Anyway went I got to the hotel I noticed a hand written sign on the outer entrance that said to call 555-5555 to see a suite or book a room. I pulled on the door and it opened. Upon entering the hotel I climbed up two flights of stairs going straight up to find an empty front desk. I called out while looking around. I saw a bookshelf loaded with cds and dvds. After a minute or two later a lady dressed in jeans and a t-shirt came out from behind the wall and looked at me with a blank stare. I told her I was here to check in but I’m in a hurry and need to get my key to the room quickly. She did not ask me for any identification or anything simply produced the keys and told me one was for the front door at the bottom of the stairs and the other was for my room. She then took me to the room where my wife and I would spend the night in relaxation.
I quickly glanced at the façade of a room and noticed nothing amiss, but I knew my wife would look it over upon return. I did ask the girl about a romance package that my mother had added to our room for our use. The lady told me that for the romantic package we could choose any dvd and cds to play in the room from their library, also the use of the candles I seen in the room. I blinked at her a couple of times then shook my head and left. After parking six blocks away from the hotel due to no parking facilities, we arrived at Mariaggi's Theme Suite Hotel and Spa. Fumbling around for the key to the now locked door we entered what we thought was going to be a fantastic ending to a great night. Entering the room we both started to unpack our getaway toys. After pulling out a bottle of NERO wine we acquired for the theme I looked for the bottle opener. Michelle and I searched the whole room for a bottle opener and could not locate one. What we did notice is that the statues all had the made in wherever stickers removed excepted one that had a sticker that said made in somewhere in a language I could not read, but it was a real pretty statue. Also Michelle noticed a label over the fire place stating “Fire place does not produce heat” looking closely at it was a FAKE. I shrugged that away in hopes of finding a wine opener. I went to the front desk looking for the lady to ask for the elusive bottle opener. There was no one in attendance. I noticed a sign on the desk that had emergency contact numbers. I then looked around the other end of the hall and did not see any signs of life. I went back to the front desk and called the first two numbers on the contact listing. No answer. I then went back to the room and told Michelle I could not find anyone out there. I then noticed a envelope that contained phone numbers. I called a number for a person who will remain nameless for this story. If you want to know the name just ask me. I told him who I was and what I was looking for and could not find anyone in attendance. Where their letter it the room stated someone was always was in the building. He told me he would get back to me shortly. Well after looking around the room a little more Michelle noticed that the fitted sheet on the bed was all crumpled looking like it was not remade after the last occupants. Well twenty minutes had passed and no one called me back. Its been almost 40 minutes since I started looking for that dammed opener. Michelle then said give me the phone. Well don’t you know it she got someone on the phone who told her and ill quote it here “Well since you (he meant Michelle) forgot your bottle opener at home you will have to leave the hotel and go to the restaurant on the corner and ask to use theirs”. When I heard this I knew that was the last straw I started to gather up our belonging to hear Michelle say back to the person on the other end of the line. We are leaving I want someone here to check me out right now. Well I went and got our vehicle and came back this took 30 minutes I found Michelle in a heated debate with a person about checking out. The person told Michelle that he was not going to check her out and they don’t have any receipt upon check out. He also told Michelle that he was no longer going to deal with her because she is not the person who signed in. He told Michelle that he would only speak with Rob Jessup because he signed in. Michelle told him that if he is going to speak with Rob he needed to come down to the car where he is now waiting. This person came down to the car and Rob and he had an exchange about best practices. Rob told him that he had worked in the hotel industry with the Fairmont Hotels and Resorts and the Delta Hotels and Canada Inns. The guy told Rob that he was disappointed in him. . . I was shocked that this guy said that I stated for 300 dollars I paid for this room you could of simply produced a Wine opener. . . .

Room Tip: dont stay here
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple