“20th Anniversary was a truly special occasion”

Mariaggi's Theme Suites Hotel and Spa
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Winnipeg, Canada
“20th Anniversary was a truly special occasion”
Reviewed 12 August 2011

We celebrated our 20th anniversary here and it was fantastic! The building has been lovingly updated in a historic downtown neighborhood, and is amazingly peaceful. The staff was helpful and always available, but seem to disappear when they are no longer required. The owners of this place must have an incredibly creative imagination to be able to put these theme rooms together. We stayed in the Rome suite, and can't wait to go back and experience some of the other "destinations".

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Darrell R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Reviewed 10 August 2011

We went there for our anniversary and stayed in the India suite...they went above and beyond to make our stay as romantic as possible. Excellent service. The room was luxurious and comfortable. We'll definitely go back!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shauna S
Winnipeg
Reviewed 8 August 2011

This hotel and building has tons of history in Winnipeg over the past 100 years, and it is so cool to walk up the stairs and through the halls see photos of the old rooms, grotto, dining areas, etc. Now it is a family operation and the staff at Mariaggi's has made every celebration extra special to me and my girlfriend at the time - with themes suites meticulously decorated from all over the world.

My latest visit was to the Rome theme suite, which I remember was a room I always wanted to experience from 20 years ago when it was one of two original rooms available. Upon entering Rome, everything was spotless, with plenty of towels, dinner settings and cande light all ready for a fantastic evening including a classic CD of Dean Martin Italian love songs playing. When the moon hits your eye like a big Pizza Pie, that's AMORE!

WOW! What a reaction from my girlfriend, who has never experienced anything like it in her life! The dinner of Salmon and Pasta that we chose was fantastic - even the potatoes were amazing making them as good as the main course! The extended checkout till 1pm was great, and other services were offered as optional upgrades.

The rooms are freshly re-decorated since my last recollection making them clean and modern. The only remenant that should be replaced is the old style projection TV with newer high def models - but the TV worked and the surround sound audio sounded fantastic as we enjoyed both recordings we brought with us, and those available in the hallway library.

The service through 20 years and 5 visits was so immpecable and friendly that I can't wait for my next opportunity to return again!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BazWinnipeg
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We'd originally booked the Mexican room but due to an unusual odor that was coming from a recent repair job, they upgraded us for the night to the Indian suite complete with pool table, 60" tv, waterfall and king sized bed. This was a *HUGE* room and far superior to the tiny Mexican room we'd originally booked. The next night, we stayed in the Mexican room, which was a let-down compared to the Indian room. In the Mexican room, the plumbing to fill the jacuzzi tub runs across the floor so they covered it in a brick ledge about 6-8" high, running the width of the room so we had to leave some lights on because it *really* hurts stubbing your toe against the brick wall if you need to pee at night. Also, my husband discovered some sketchy wiring of the lights and redid the wiring of the entertainment systems in both rooms to get stereo surround sound (it was just coming out of the tv before he "adjusted" everything).
The rooms were nice and the staff is very friendly, but because the hotel is located downtown, it's very noisy. VERY NOISY! The street in front of the hotel is used by the neighbouring fire hall to get to ALL fires in the downtown and North End and the surrounding high rises act to amplify the sirens so we were awakened almost every hour with a screaming fire truck. Also, we stayed at the Mariaggi during JazzFest with the free concerts at Old Market Square, 1 block in the other direction, so that was also very noisy until 2am each night. It's not the hotel's fault, but it's something to be aware of that downtown Winnipeg often has free weekend concerts that might keep you awake. We were lucky we didn't stay the following weekend because that was the electronic music festival weekend.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ejmck
Reviewed 24 July 2011

We went here for our wedding aniversery.
At first I was annoyed that there was no parking but the staff directed me to a parkaid
on albert street which is about half ablock from the hotel and cheap. We were there from friday to sunday and it was only $16 for sheltered parking.
At first sight it looks like a office until you get to your room. The room was nice more like a pimped out bed room then a hotel felt more like home then a hotel.
I never sleep well at a hotel do to crappy beds and blankets but this was differnt very very nice beds and blankets so nice we slept in whcih being parents of 4 we never do.
Don the owner of the place very nice guy he gave us free candles and when we asked to rent some movies he gave us all the movies we wanted for free to.
The lady in the morning at the desk very friendly and will direct you were to go for breakfast and give you info of where to check out that's all in walking distance of the hotel.
Right beside the Hotel is the News Cafe pritty good price and portions for you to hit up for breakfast (they will tell you about it).
I would like to send my parent here for a present if it's in the budget for next year and go again our selves.
James and shannon.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank odinsblade
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Well i was looking for a surprise for my boyfriend for Valentines day and i came upon the Mariaggi. I booked the Africa room and though it looked amazing. I went weeks ahead to plan a meal and in the website it said candles were extra and lots were provided. I came early and no was there to greet me i needed to come in fast to go pick up my boyfriend. I though it was a little odd for a professional place. I entered the room and it was so small i was shocked im paying tons of money for a place as small as my bedroom. I left hopeful to pick up my boyfriend.

You have to park really far and pay for overnight parking because they have not, then walk up to flights of stairs to the desk and there is no one to help you.

When we returned no was at the front desk and our room was right around the corner, in which we heard people talking alot. We also picked out 3 movies. We were told to be there from 6-7 for our food to arrive and it didnt come untill 9pm, and we were starving. We brought wine and didnt have an opener and we asked for one and they gave us grief. We poped in the first movie and it was half hour in and it was so scratched it skipped and froze. We poped in the 2nd one and once again it froze. so we settled for a 3rd movie and sat dissaponted throu the skipping, i was planning to bring movies but they said on the phone not too cause they had plenty. So i would suggest bringing your own or rented movies. Dinner was good and we sat in the jazcuzzi and no windows was a little odd.

The steam shower wasnt working at first and in the morning i was blow drying my hair and heating up some food in the microwave and all a sudden the power went out. We went out and told the lady and said the power was out and she asked if i was using more then 2 things at once and i was like umm yea of coarse. (You run many things at once in your own home, why is it not acceptable in a hotel your paying for) and shes like well thats why and said it happened all the time. I asked what to do and she said behind the giraffe mask on the wall was a breaker. Well the room was pitch black because no windows so we couldn't see a thing and she just sat there and didnt come do it or help. We struggled for ten minutes and finally got the lights and power back on. What a professional place when the help at the desk wont even get up to help when the power goes out because your doing things. Also the fact she said it happens all the times is weird.

When we left the lady at the desk told us to go on trip adviser and rate us really good because we must of had a good time because we didnt complain? Odd...and when we passed the man in the hall told us to go on trip advisory and rate them good cause they were #1 and wanted to stay that way.

I don't think this place deserves to be #1 because of terrible place and lack of any service, when you paying alot of money and the room is tiny, the desk is empty and lacking professionalism all the dvds are ruined and apparently you are looked down upon because you use 2 things at once and have to flip your own breaker in the room when the power goes out.

I will never go back!

Room Tip: Way over expensive and very hard to check in and out in you in a rush.
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Siera89
Winkler, Canada
Reviewed 23 June 2011

My wife and I stayed in the Caribbean suite for our anniversary and had an excellent time. I booked only about a week ahead and the lady on the phone (Sarah I think) was very pleasant and helpful. I was a little concerned when I was told the room would be charged right away and that there were no refunds offered only rescheduling but everything turned out fine. I also went with a couples massage as my work benefits covered most of that cost.

When we arrived I parked at the parkade on Albert Street about a block or two away and we were checked in quickly. The massage was supposed to be a secret and while we were checking in the lady at the desk asked my wife to go pick up some movies while she talked to me about the massages which was appreciated, although I had already told my wife so it was not necessary. We were then taken up the stairs to our room, it bears mentioning that there are a good amount of stairs, only a couple flights worth but it felt like a lot. We were shown how to use everything in the room and then she left us alone.

The room itself was fantastic and everything went very smoothly, the massage was great, and as for food we just went to one of the nearby restaurants in the Exchange District. My only complaints would be that we were able to hear sirens as they drove by, which seemed to be about six times over the stay and the parking in the parkade was 26 dollars for the approx 23 hours we were there but that is not really the hotels fault. The pictures on the website do not really do the hotel justice but I was told that they are working on updating their site to include the new suites they have completed or are working on completing like the China, Egypt, and Paris rooms. My wife and I had a great time and if it is financially possible we will be trying to make this an annual event.

Room Tip: Our windows faced McDermot, loud sirens there.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple