“A surprising gem”

Mariaggi's Theme Suite Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I'm typing this after staying only 1 night of our 2 night reservation. We are in the India room and I have to say I'm truly impressed. To be honest, this neighbourhood is fine in the daytime, but I wouldn't want to be walking around after 10 pm here. So I was very surprised to find Mariaggi's Theme Suites Hotel located here. FYI, they lock the front door later in the afternoon, so you have to call a number posted on the door in order to be let inside and you are given an outside door key along with your room key. I would not leave my car parked out here overnight. There are parkades nearby that are very reasonably priced and they are monitored. We parked for only $4 from 6 pm to 6 am in one of the parkades. Although if you can afford to stay here, you probably aren't that concerned about thrifty parking. Yes, it's pricey to stay here. I really debated hard about staying here due to the cost, and the fact that I was looking at 2 nights. To save some money, we are staying here during the week because prices are higher on the weekend. This is a treat for us and definitely not what we normally pay for a stay in a hotel. But you do get what you pay for and I'll explain...

The building is very old, in the Exchange District. It's probably a heritage building due to its history. You have to climb stairs to get to the actual hotel, but I believe I read somewhere that they can make arrangements for people who cannot climb stairs.

The room itself is the India suite. WOW! The photos online are impressive, but they do not do this room justice. We are here celebrating our 28th wedding anniversary. The 2 person jacuzzi tub with waterfall is very nice and I like to just run the waterfall for ambience. Unfortunately right now Winnipeg is experiencing a nasty bout of mysterious brown water that they are unable to solve, not bad enough to keep you out of the tub but the bubbles we put in ended up leaving a real skuzzy brown foam when we let the water out. That meant no soak this morning until after housekeeping had been in to clean it up.

The steam shower works great. It gets very steamy in there. The addition of the speakers inside is a nice touch. Shampoo and soap are supplied. There is also very nice quality cologne and perfume, and a hairdryer in our bathroom. There is a microwave, a small coffee maker and a nice sized mini fridge (you can put 4 bottles of wine/champagne inside plus 6 bottles of water and leftovers with room to spare! A table and 2 comfy wicker chairs complete the little dining area.

As you enter the room, which is right beside the front desk, you walk down a long hallway with beautiful artwork and an impressive high ceiling. Once inside you see a very nice pool table and more incredible carvings and statues. The slate on the floor and walls adds to the ambience. So did the dim lighting with bunches of little tea light candles that were lit when we arrived. Lights are on a dimmer, so you can turn them up brighter if you want.

Further in is the dining area and jacuzzi tub with adjacent (fake) fireplace. The bed is opposite from the tub. The bathroom and steam shower are around the corner from the tub. The TV screen is huge and there are a whole pile of speakers for great surround sound. I have my iphone connected to the stereo and the sound is great! We were invited to pick any movies we wanted from their collection of DVDs to watch during our stay. The ONLY thing I can complain about is that they only have basic cable so we couldn't watch the Jets hockey game last night. I think it would be a nice touch to have a cable package, especially with the price being charged for a room, although I understand that not everybody who stays here are looking for television to keep them entertained. (We've been married 28 years though, remember? LOL)

Internet is free and works fine. The India room is located on the corner of a fairly busy street and there are 7 windows in the main area and one in the bathroom, but other than the inevitable sirens, it was relatively quiet overnight and I got a great sleep. The bed was comfy. And housekeeping changed the sheets we had last night, which was a nice touch.

We found Lowell to be super helpful and he really bent over backwards to make last night special for us. We got in on a deal where we were able to get dinner for 2 in our room at no extra charge. It was only supposed to be a 3 course Italian meal with no dessert, but Lowell surprised us with 2 of the largest slices of cheesecake I've ever seen and they were delicious!! He provided us a bucket with ice to chill the wine I had brought and then ran and got a corkscrew when I discovered I had forgotten to bring one. The lady at the desk today was very friendly and very helpful also when I asked for directions and a couple other questions.

I think we will start saving up for another stay at the Mariaggi as soon as possible!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Lowell L, General Manager at Mariaggi's Theme Suite Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Thank you for your kind review. The India suite really transports guests to another world. The artwork, pictures and various figurines are imported directly from India and we find guests truly feel like they are on a mini vacation when they stay. It was great to hear that our guests service was exceptional. We try to be helpful and often will go out of our way to ensure guests are being well taken care of. I am pleased to know that your room was well sanitized and the cleaning staff will be informed on how good a job they did on your room. We know that a night stay at our hotel is more expensive than that of a regular room and we are happy to know that you felt the value for stay was very good. Couples need couple time and we are encouraged that you can hardly wait to return. See you soon.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

My husband and I stayed there on our wedding night as well as the following night. We originally had the Caribbean suite booked but due to issues with the hot tub they gave us the Mexican suite the first night and the second night we got the Penthouse suite. It was absolutely magnificent! The staff is extremely friendly and the rooms are immaculately clean. I can't wait to go back!! Our next stay will be in the China suite!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christine L
Lowell L, General Manager at Mariaggi's Theme Suite Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Thank you for your kind review. It is so nice to have honeymooners stay at the hotel. When we first opened our goal was to create a romantic getaway hotel for special occasions. Thirty years later we are still having Honeymoons, Anniversaries, Birthdays and other special occasions enjoy a great escape at Mariaggi's. It is wonderful that we had a chance to upgrade you to our Tropical Penthouse. We can't always do this but we do free upgrades for special occasions from time to time. We hope you enjoyed Jakarta's new private 350 sq.ft. deck. The waterfall hot tub is really wonderful and the steam room is usually a hit. We spent a lot of time developing the décor and appreciate that you saw exceptional value in your stay. We are really happy to have you rate us 5 stars in pretty much every category. We hope that to see you in China for your first anniversary.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

We stayed 2 nights for our 10th anniversary. We booked the caribean suite. When we got there they upgraded us to the penthouse!!!!!!!!!! We had a 3 course Italian dinner for two in-suite with candles and champagne! The staff took care of everything!!! They even walked us to a restaurant as we weren't familiar with the area! The sauna, waterfall hot tub and pool table were perks we enjoyed.

• Stayed: September 2013
Lowell L, General Manager at Mariaggi's Theme Suite Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Thank you for your kind review. We specialize in romantic escapes. When an anniversary comes up we try to make it extra special. I can not guarantee an upgrade to the penthouse will always happen but we will go out of our way to make your stay with us memorable. We hope you enjoyed the new 400 sq.ft. private deck we just built. The waterfall hot tub in the suite is our own creation and we are pleased you enjoyed all the other amenities as well.
Customer service is very important to us and we try our best to beat guests expectations in this category. It was nice that we had the time to walk you to the restaurant so that you would not get lost. The Exchange District is a great area to walk about and we are glad you had a couple of days to explore downtown. We are grateful you appreciated our attention to detail in the room, the cleanliness of the suite and the great value you received. We hope to see you next year!

Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

It was my wife and I's first visit and we stayed in the India room. It was fabulous with beautiful features. We were welcomed by very friendly staff upon arrival, given a tour and a history lesson which was awesome. The staff is super friendly and so eager to please. The location is not typical for a hotel nowadays but is understandable with the history of the building. The area around the hotel is loaded with shops, galleries, restaurants and nightlife if you are interested and all in walking distance. We will definitely return, refer and recommend. Personally, the staff is what makes the stay so special. Keep up the great work. A Big 5 Stars!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013

India is a lovely suite with the 15,000 pounds of slate throughout the suite. We hope you felt like you were in the Himalaya's. We take pride in the suites and we want each guest to feel extra special when they stay. We have been trained to always try and give more to our guests. Whether that is just a friendly smile or a help with guests luggage or cutting up fruit and lighting candles prior to guest arrival. All the little things really make a difference to our guests overall experience.
This year my family and I had the chance to meet relatives of Francois Mariaggi. My family and I visited Mr. Mariaggi's home in Corsica, France. We walked the town where he came from and saw the towns church. We had a wonderful conversation with Mr. Mariaggi's relatives. The history of our building means a lot to us. Our building is over a hundred years old - an infant in some parts of the world but in North America this structures age is significant. We are lucky to still have such a solid building and ours is one of many in the area that has a rich history. The history tour we give to guests is a wonderful way to relive Winnipeg a hundred years ago. We are happy that you enjoyed the tour prior to entering the suite.
Thank you for rating our hotel 5 stars. We really appreciate you taking the time to write the review and telling your friends and family about us.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

I took my girlfriend here for a get away before I left for several months. We stayed in the China suite and we were blown away with the decor. We tried everything in the room out and it was phenomenal! The 2 person hot tub is comfortable and the best feature in the room. The sauna was another bonus for us. We loved the room and the stay. The food was good, but it could have been better. My girlfriend is suffering from a disability, and this is not a wheelchair accessible place. However the staff are kind enough, and will make this stay wheelchair accessible if forewarned. This wowed me and please don't let the stairs deter you. They will carry you up the stairs along with your wheel chair. The hotel has no guest parking so you have to use the city parking. Some places charge an arm and a leg for parking and the closest parking is out front of the building but it is street parking only.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

We are so glad that the stairs did not deter you. Our turn of the century historic building did not anticipate the need for an elevator so we have come up with unique ways to accommodate handicap situations. Fortunately the stairwell is unusually wide and allows us to carry guests up as needed. Couples need a getaway from time to time and we are pleased that your stay at the hotel exceeded your expectations. China has a really great hot tub. It is very large and the jets are fabulous. The infra red sauna is really relaxing too. It is fun to watch a movie or listen to a cd while in the sauna. We hope you enjoyed the tornado vichie shower with all the multi shower heads. It is nice when our guests rate the rooms five stars. We have taken extra care to develop suites for guests to feel like they are taking a mini vacation. We hope to see you again on your next great escape.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

This place is hidden downtown off Portage and Main, but is a veritable treasure, with delightful rooms. The room designs are awesome, with showers, tubs, pool table( India Room ) great beds..... The staff are very friendly, and clearly want you back. As others have mentioned they knew our names, the guy even greeted my wife in her own language, which was pretty cool. ( She is Vietnamese ) The India room has wonderful decorations and style, statues, real stone floors, a pool table, and stereo sound IN THE SHOWER! no less. Whatever you think of the pictures on the website, the room is exponentially better when you get there!!

Room Tip: We had the "India" room, with the usual goodies, but also a pool table to add some variety...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Lowell L, General Manager at Mariaggi's Theme Suite Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

Thank you for your kind review. India is an exceptional themed suite. The authentic artwork, statues and design really allows guests to feel like they are on a mini vacation. It is so nice to have out of town guests stay and enjoy our downtown location. I am so glad you gave our location 5 stars. Winnipeg has such a variety of unique boutique shops like Haberdashery and Ordnry Clothing to interesting eateries like Cakeology and The Winnipeg Free Press News Café. Combined with the historic buildings and interesting architecture I really think our location is one of the best in the city and possibly the entire country.
Customer service is very important and we really try to focus on giving guests a royal treatment. Traveling can get costly and our rooms are priced more than the standard hotel room. It is great to know that you saw exceptional value at our hotel. India is one of our corner suites and has much traffic pass by. It is good to know that you rated sleep quality 5 stars. After a hot tub, steam and shower, dinner and a couple games of pool and movie most guests have an exceptional rest. I look forward to seeing you again when you come back to Winnipeg for another visit.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

My wife and I recently stayed in the China suite at this hotel for one night. This was our second time staying at this hotel and our previous stay was in the Caribbean suite. The hotel itself is very unassuming from the exterior and when you enter you climb up a flight of stairs to reach the lobby.

There was another couple checking in when we arrived so we had to wait a few minutes while they were taken care of which allowed us to select some movies from their collection. They do have a large selection of DVD's available and there should be something for everyone. While we were browsing the other couple finished and our bags were taken to our room for us so we could finish selecting. Once we were done we were given a "History Tour" of the hotel and shown to our room.

The Room is beautiful and my wife and I enjoyed most of the amenities. The only thing we didn't try was the infared sauna as neither of us are big fans of sauna's. Our only complaints were that the towels did not smell great (as though they had been left in the washing machine too long before going into the dryer) and that there were frequent sirens throughout our stay that would wake us up. Our room was right by the ice machine and behind the front desk so there was also noise coming from the lobby/ice machine area that would ruin the illusion at times but overall it was very nice.

Upon checkout we asked if we could see some of the other rooms and the manager was nice enough to give us a quick tour of some of the empty rooms so we could know what to book next time.

We will likely return to this hotel, though the price does make it more of a once every couple years event for my wife and I.

Room Tip: The website has recently been updated and has good photo's of all the available rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. We take our time to design and build our suites so that you really feel like you are on a mini holiday. I am so glad that you noticed all the attention to detail that was put into the China Suite. We will be installing a new sound proof door to give China more privacy between the front desk area and the suite. That should stop any further noise problems:) Our room rates are more than those of most hotels in the city. It is nice to know that you still rated us 5 stars in the value section. As a boutique property guests service has to be really good and it was my pleasure to show you around and explain the history of the building. The front desk staff really liked serving you and your wife too. Dinner in the room is always well received and I will forward your compliments to the chef. I think the towels may have needed to be dried more before being placed on the shelves - I will talk with our staff about this as cleanliness is one of our number one goals. I am happy to know that you will return again and maybe next time you will consider trying one of our newer suites with private balcony and a pool table.