“India and Mexico”

Mariaggi's Theme Suite Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I came here with my best friend ad we stayed in the India suit for the first two nights and it was AMAZING! The room was so beautiful and the hot tub was so relaxing and the bed was so comfortable . The staff was awesome very friendly and accommodating. We extended our stay but we moved to the Mexico suit so where we could smoke and the room was small but still just as beautiful. We didn't have a car however if you do their is no parking directly at the hotel but just down the street not even a 3 minute walk. It was a bit hard to find and I doesn't look like much on the outside but inside makes up, like the saying goes you can't judge a book by it's cover and that applies here. I highly recommend staying here, my best friend says that every time she visits Winnipeg she is staying here and would love to live here too. I myself will for sure be coming back with my boyfriend for a nice romantic get away.

Room Tip: India is a large suite Mexico is a small suite, however Mexico and Africa are both smoking room'...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Amber V
Lowell L, General Manager at Mariaggi's Theme Suite Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Thank you for your really nice review. India is an incredible suite with the waterfall hot tub and pool table. Mexico, although a smaller room has a wonderful atmosphere with the Mexican art and detailed furnishings. We are so happy to know you did not want to go back to Alberta and decided to stay with us for a few more days. It allowed you to visit Winnipeg's downtown and the historic exchange shopping district. Customer service and room quality are really important for us and we are pleased to know that we were way above expectations and that you rated us 5 stars. Our beds are actually custom made. The beds are extra long and wider than the average sized mattress. It makes for a very comfortable sleep and it is nice to know you really enjoyed the sleep quality too. Cleanliness is also a very high priority for us and we will let our housekeepers know that they scored very well in this category. We hope to see you again when you come to town with your boyfriend. It was a fun getaway with your girlfriend and I think it will be an equally romantic getaway for you and your boyfriend. See you again soon.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

We spent my 50th birthday in Morocco. It was GREAT! The service and amenities were outstanding! It was a great get-a-way without all the hassle of traveling. Loved the steam room,hot tub! We finally warmed up after a long, long, long winter in winnipeg!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Lowell L, General Manager at Mariaggi's Theme Suite Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

When you have a special occasion like a birthday you have to do it right. Thank you for choosing our boutique hotel to celebrate your 50th. Winter has been so frigid that warming up in a large hot tub and then topping it off with a steam afterwards seems to be just what the doctor ordered! All humor aside we really appreciate your kind review. We have spent countless hours designing and maintaining high standards to create a romantic and relaxing environment. We are highly attentive to guest service and room cleanliness. It is really good to know you saw exceptional value in your stay and appreciated our historic downtown location. We hope to see you on your next birthday.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

I have been a regular of the mariaggi theme suite hotel.
This hotel makes you feel no matter what theme you stay in that
you are actualy in that place. If I had to say which room is my favorite
I honestky ciuldnt say. I love all the theme rooms.
The beds are amaxzing never have I slept better.
I feel like a princess each and every time I stay here.
The owner lowell and jason are amazing and the staff ar always there to help you with whatever you need. I strongly suggest staying at Mariaggi.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Dear Serine:

Thank you for your review. You have stayed with us numerous times and we really appreciate your kind remarks. We know how stressful life can be with family and work commitments and we truly want our guests to feel extra special when they stay with us. We know you have stayed in practically every room we have and it is nice to know you feel each one is a wonderful design and that you love them all. All the suites have a variety of furnishings, statues and artifacts that represent the country of the theme. We want guests to feel like they are on a mini holiday when they stay with us. Our regular maintenance of the suites is obvious. Maintaining very high standards in room design, repair and cleanliness although very costly is a very high priority for us and is one of the things that helps guests such as you to keep returning. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

I have heard so much about this hotel and was very excited that we were going to stay there for our 29th anniversary. I am very interested into the history of old buildings like Mariaggi`s. Lowell you are AMAZING to say the least. He took us on a history tour of the place which I absolutely loved to hear about. We chose the Roman room which was amazing. The whole decor of Roman statues, hot tub with ivy. The food was the best we have had in any hotel. Lowell took care of every detail to make sure everything was perfect for us. We loved our stay here and can`t wait to come back. Mariaggi`s outdid any other couples resort in Manitoba! Thank you Lowell for making our stay so memorable. See you next December. :)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Lowell L, General Manager at Mariaggi's Theme Suite Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Thank you for your kind review. It was our pleasure to be your host on your 29th Anniversary. Rome is a very romantic room with a variety of authentic art, statues and little details that represent the country of the theme. It is wonderful to know that dinner was one of the best you have had in any hotel. We find that guests really enjoy dining in the theme suite. It is relaxing to eat in the comfort of the hotel suite.

We really hope you keep on telling your friends and family about our property. See you next year on your 30th!!

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Where to start....the staff was friendly and very helpful. The room decor was nice enough. That being said...there was no parking for hotel patrons. Before we even left our vehicle we were approached by a pan handler for money. The area is sketchy at best. The hot tub would have been nice if the breaker hadn't flipped every ten minutes shutting off the jets. So we would have to get out of the tub and run to the breaker panel at the front of the room to flip the switch. We were not running any appliances or lights other that the radio. The rooms are poorly insulated all around. We could hear everything coming from neighboring rooms..every footstep in the hotel...every head board banging. The single pane windows allowed all the street noise to sound like it was at the foot of our bed. So the rowdy drunken fights at 2am sounded like they were in our room. Every profanity and drunken slur was heard clear as day. The labels made with the cheap label maker and plastered all over the walls were tacky for a "high end" hotel. The bed was very small, pushed right up against the wall and very uncomfortable. It was sagging in the middle and very worn in. The staff are not found anywhere after 8pm. There is another tacky sign with emergency numbers on it found at the vacated front desk. Overall it was a VERY disappointing stay. Needless to say we checked out after being awoken by load bangs at 5am and checked out by 6am, leaving our keys at a vacated desk...with our gratuity envelope. No way would we recommend this place or ever go back there ourselves. We are baffled at all the high reviews for this place. The hotel staff must be busy writing positive reviews while they are not posted at the front desk. All in all...DONT DO IT!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank 718Jamie
Lowell L, General Manager at Mariaggi's Theme Suite Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Hi Cody and Jaimie:

I am sorry to hear that your stay was not meeting your expectations. Over the past 30 years we have been providing romantic escapes for couples. Hawaii has been one of our more popular suites and we have had many satisfied couples stay in this suite. I talked with Sarah today and she told me that you came out one time at 6PM to complain that the hot tub was shutting off. Sarah told me that she suggested to flip the breaker and it should correct itself and if it kept happening to come out and we could try and fix it another way. No one came out and we thought everything was fine.

We have taken extra precaution to sound proof the rooms. There are two separate walls between suites and sound barriers and sound insulation have been installed. The windows are double pane. We are located downtown and some nights when the bars close it can be noisy, however, it is usually short lived and does not affect our guests as it did on the night you stayed.

We actually are in the building 24 hours. It is true that from time to time there may not be anyone at the hotel front desk all the time as we may be helping guests with one thing or another. There are phone numbers that guests are encouraged to call if they are experiencing problems. Saturday night I was at the front desk till 11PM and I did not notice you come out to ask for help other than the time I came in to show you how to use the stereo system which was around 7PM.

Of course we would rather have heard how much you enjoyed the room décor and our service and cleanliness. The 3,000 pounds of lava rock work that surrounds the hot tub and the abundance of Hawaiian artwork, statutes and figurines are throughout the suite. We have directions on how to use equipment in the suite, however, our room design is second to none which is a large reason why most of our guest reviews are extremely positive.

Our guests reviews are genuine. We do not have our staff write reviews on our hotel or anyone else's for that matter. We have been awarded many Travelers Choice Awards including one of the Worlds Most Romantic Hotels as well as a number of others from independent bodies such as Rand McNally (Best of the Road).

I wish we could have helped you with your hot tub problem at the time it was causing you discomfort. Please call me anytime to further discuss your stay....

Sincerely.

Lowell L.

Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights for our 7 year wedding anniversary. For the first two nights, we stayed in the India suite. This room is a thousand square feet of pure pleasure. With authentic statues and carvings and artwork directly from India this place makes you feel like you are really there. Throw in a waterfall Jacuzzi hot tub alongside a 50 inch flat screen TV with surround sound , add a pool table and a numerous amounts of lights to set the mood anyway you want . I have never been in a room that look like this before. This hotel sets the bar for the term theme room. For the last two nights we stayed in the Jakarta penthouse room. 3000 square feet ! you wouldn't believe how much space is in this room until you see it. My wife and I made use of all the room, but it would have been better if there where more people to be there with us. We are experienced travellers, so we had our own soaps and lotions, which worked out okay because the only thing the hotel had to offer was hand soap. They did provide bubble bath, candles and incense which was a nice touch as well. There is a great cake bakery called cakeology right around the corner and smokey poutinery.. check my review on that as well lol... all in all this is a great hotel in the heart of downtown Winnipeg, close to everything, but of all the great things the rooms had, the entire staff of this hotel is why we are already planning our return to experience china:) a super special hello and take care from joel and the nail lady to the ENTIRE STAFF!!! You guys made our anniversary the best one yet!!!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Lowell L, General Manager at Mariaggi's Theme Suite Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Thank you for your kind review. We were so honored when you told us you came to Winnipeg specifically to stay at our theme hotel. We wanted you to have a fantastic experience in Winnipeg. Our location was perfect for you to explore what Downtown Winnipeg has to offer. Glad you enjoyed Cakeology and the Poutinery (I really like them too). I don't know if you had time to go to the zoo and see the polar bear exhibit or to Leo Mol's bronze sculpture garden but they are really great to visit as well. We really put our hearts into designing a great atmosphere for couples to celebrate special occasions. I often tell guests it is not just a room with a statute in the corner and a hot tub in the room. All the artwork, carvings and statutes in the suites are authentic and really add to the genuine and romantic feel. It was nice that you were able to spend time in our Jakarta Penthouse suite. We hope you were able to enjoy the new private 300sq.ft. balcony. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the waterfall hot tub and large steam room. Customer service is so important. I am glad to know we took great care of you in this department too. We hope to see you again soon. Thank you for recommending your friends and family - we will definitely take good care of them too.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

At first i was a little skeptical because i had read a bad review online. But as soon as i got there i forgot all about it. It's a nice family owned business and you can tell (that's a good thing). The service was unbelievably awesome, they showed us around our room and how to work everything. The room itself was definitely the nicest hotel room i've ever stayed at in my life. I give this place 5 stars and can't wait until i come back

• Stayed: November 2013

Couples need couple time. It is a philosophy that many of us pay lip service to and most of us find hard to put into practice. Mostly it is because we are so busy working and raising our family. When guests decide to come here we are determined to make their stay amazing. It is so nice to know that you had a great night out with us. The combination of a great room design, cleanliness, great value and exceptional customer service really has been our key to success. There have been guests that have not shared your view. Thankfully, these have been the exception rather than the rule. We really think we have created a great themed suite. With a little imagination you can easily make believe you are in Rome, Japan, Hawaii etc... Thank you for your kind review. We hope you can make another great escape with us again soon.