“Good and bad”

Mariaggi's Theme Suite Hotel & Spa
Ranked #14 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Rooms are great. Jacuzzi, sauna, pool, bed are perfect.
Service is terrible.
No one ever at the front desk.
No parking. If you are not from Winnipeg, you are in trouble.
Make sure you discuss the price and details long ahead and the payment is made, so you won't be surprised.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank nemetz79
Lowell L, General Manager at Mariaggi's Theme Suite Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

I am sorry to hear that the service was not very good when you stayed. We usually score very high in guest service and take care of our guests like no other hotel can. We must have been helping other guests when you came out to look for some service. We do have a list of phone numbers that are available for you to call anytime if there is something that you need. We did not receive any calls the night you stayed. We are happy to know you appreciated the room décor and the cleanliness. The waterfall hot tub is really a neat feature. We spent a lot of time creating a relaxing environment in the suite. Guests love lounging in the waterfall hot tub where you can enjoy the waterfall and the back jets at the same time. It is a special feature that only our hotel has. We hope you enjoyed the steam room with the marine speakers inside. The sound is really great with a 200 watt stereo system complete with CD and Ipod hookup. We hope that you come back and enjoy a great escape the way most of our guests do. Please call me anytime to discuss how we can improve our service further.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I was looking for a romantic place to take my girlfriend for her birthday, I tried checking out rooms at the Fairmont and the Fort Garry. Sure the rooms are nice there if you were on a business trip or something. But you wouldn't want to surprise your loved one with a simple, generic, business-themed getaway. That's how I felt when I checked out what rooms Winnipeg had for the high prices they demanded. Then I stumbled upon Mariaggi's, Winnipeg and Canada's best kept secret! I never expected the rooms to be way better than the pictures (which they are) so I had to see it in person. When I got there I met Sarah who literally had all the time in her day to show me each room and what perks they offered. You won't believe how classy and nicely decorated the rooms are, my favorite was India. It was by far the best night in a hotel I've ever stayed in. I've stayed in expensive hotels in New York, L.A., Hawaii and all over Europe. Who would have known that not one of them could even come close to matching a theme suite hotel in my own city?! All the rooms at Mariaggi's are actually soundproofed, so you can play pool or crank your music all night long. I'd say try doing that at another hotel, but they wouldn't have elite surround-sound systems or pool tables for that matter. Steam rooms, Jacuzzi's with waterfalls over rocks? I could seriously write a book about how romantic this hotel is. The ONLY downfall of this hotel, if I absolutely had to pick a negative aspect of it, would be the fact that it's ruined me for staying at any other hotels when I travel, because I know the best hotel in the world is in Winnipeg named Mariaggi's.

Room Tip: Go for the India room, 1000 square feet, pool table, steam room, jacuzzi, waterfall, surround-sound...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CatalinaWineMixer22
Lowell L, General Manager at Mariaggi's Theme Suite Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thank you for your very nice review. Winnipeg has a lot to offer and it is nice to know that you think Mariaggi's is one of those things that make our city that much better. For the past 30 years we have been providing great escapes for couples and still there are many whom have never heard of us. We are glad to know that you found our hotel and that your stay with us exceeded expectations. Please continue to tell friends and family about our small boutique property. It is nice to know that Sarah was such a big help. We really want our guests to feel well taken care of. Waterfall hot tub suites like India, Caribbean, Morocco and Jakarta are really cool. Guests can sit under the falls and feel like they are in another country! It is especially pleasing when the weather is exceptionally cold like it has been this winter. Thank you for rating our hotel 5 stars in every category. We really appreciate you staying with us and would love to see you again soon.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

My boyfriend and I have recently stayed at the Mariaggi and as it ended perfectly it was definitely a rough start. The person who introduced the room to us gave off a very creepy vibe as he explained how he had a steam shower for 8 hours before... in our shower, and gave us a helpful tip of bringing in a bucket of ice so we could sip on it while we were in there. Instead of "have a wonderful escape" or "enjoy your stay", he said to us "happy kidnapping", which made my skin crawl.We also didn't receive a tour or any knowledge of our room and were discouraged as we over heard other guests receiving a presentation of theirs. On a positive note,our dinner was a 10/10 topping it off with wonderful cheesecake. The room is very romantic, clean, and unique, and overall we had a very nice stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stephanie03840

Thank you for your review. Jason can use the wrong verbiage at times. I talked with him about the Happy Kidnapping phrase. In his defense he was just a little over eager to make sure you had a great time. Jason really loves the rooms and wants to make sure our guests do as well. It was a good idea to suggest you bring in some ice to the steam room but he did not need to tell you how many hours he spent there himself. Everyone including Jason really want our guests to feel welcome and extra special. Normally we take guests on a special history tour and it is too bad that you were not shown this. We are glad that everything else was great and your stay ended perfectly. It is nice to know that you enjoyed dinner and the homemade cheesecake. Most of our guest prefer to dine in the comfort of the hotel room instead of leaving to go out to eat. The meal is full of flavor and portions are large. Thank you also for rating the hotel cleanliness, location and room design five stars. We would love to see you again soon for your next great escape.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

The challenging part of staying at the Mariaggi,begins after you have made that decision - you have to decide which of the amazing rooms you are going to choose for your romantic adventure. Each of the rooms is beautifully and tastefully decorated in a theme - Rome, Africa, Hawaii, India, Mexico etc. It's difficult to decide! The hotel is charming and comfortable. Dinner can be arranged to be brought in so you never have to leave. And you won't want to!
Corporately we've rented the largest suite for a business gathering that couldn't have been more fun and special.

Room Tip: Difficult to decide. Use your imagination and let the room take you on an exotic getaway.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SpicyLaura

Thank you for your kind review. It is really nice to know how much you enjoyed our hotel. Each room has a unique flavor and guests find it difficult sometimes to choose which getaway suite they want. We spend a lot of time to develop the suite. We bring in artwork and other furnishings that represent the country of the theme. The tile work and finishing carpentry as well as the little details like candle light and designer linens and towels really add to the luxury of the getaway. The Jakarta Suite is particularly a wonderful environment. It is perfect for small parties as well as for extraordinary couple getaways. We are so glad you enjoyed our service as well as our location which is really becoming a wonderful shopping and night life destination in Winnipeg. We would love to see you back again soon!

Reviewed 19 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night to celebrate Valentine's Day which was the same day as our 6th Wedding Anniversary & to celebrate my husbands 40th Birthday, also the Honeymoon we never had. This was the first time we stayed overnight without our 3 kids since we started to have them 10 years ago so we wanted this occasion to be somewhere very special & memorable. I'm so glad we chose the Mariaggi. It's in the Historic Exchange District so convenient to everything downtown, we were able to check in an hour early since our room was ready. When we got to the hotel we climbed a flight of freshly mopped stairs to the second floor where the front desk is. We were greeted by I believe the manager, Lowell I recognized his voice booking over the phone. He was so kind & helpful, made us feel right at home. We picked a couple of complimentary DVDs before entering the China Room which was amazing & romantic! We paid for the extra candles, bubble bath, personalized bottle of wine & dinner for two. All worth the money! Lowell gave us a little tour & history lesson of the hotel, showed us how to use all of the gadgets in our room & let us know if we needed anything they'd be happy to help us. The rooms Chinese theme, decor & colours were just beautiful! Everything from the huge hot tub, dual shower & sauna were all so relaxing especially in the deep freeze we've been having in Winnipeg! The bed, pillows & linens were so soft & comfortable it was the best sleep we've had in years, partially because there were no kids waking us up in the middle of the night! Our dinner did come later than we'd expected luckily we brought our own snacks & juice to tie us over. When dinner did come Lowell had given us a complimentary huge slice of Oreo Cheesecake, all was delicious! This was our first overnight, & first time at this hotel & we will definitely come back again to try out another room, India sounds fabulous too! Thank-you for making this occasion so special & memorable for us.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Lowell L, General Manager at Mariaggi's Theme Suite Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Thank you for your kind review. Valentines Day is one of those days that we really want our guests to enjoy. We want our guests to feel like they are really someplace special. Our room design and atmosphere go a long way to having guests feel like they are on a mini vacation. Our hotel is nestled in Winnipeg's Historic Exchange Shopping District. It is a great location and our building has a wonderful history that love to share. We are grateful that you appreciated the history tour prior to entering your suite. I really like all the fancy equipment in China. The infra red sauna and tornado shower as well as the oversized hot tub really complement each other. We spend a lot of effort finding the proper artwork for each suite and the sleep quality is really good. We built the hotel for couples like yourselves to enjoy. Everyone is so busy raising a family and working that it is hard to go anywhere. I know as I have three children too!! Mariaggi's offers a really nice getaway without having to go away. I am so glad that you discovered us and please keep on telling your friends and family about us. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

My partner and I had a staycation for one night, and it was wonderful. I felt like I was a real person and not just a room number. We ordered dinner (Greek salad, cannelloni, steamed vegetables and a chicken dish). They were delicious. The staff helped us with any questions we had. It is definitely worth getting the additional pack with Champagne, candles, and bubble bath for the Jacuzzi. It also gives access to the DVDs and CDS. It was nice and warm in a cold Winnipeg winter. I will definitely be going again, with my partner, or just to have a nice night out.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review. It is so nice to know that you enjoyed your great escape with us. It is very important to have our guests feel extra special when they stay. We go to great lengths creating a wonderful atmosphere where guests feel like they are on a mini holiday. However, equally important is that guests must be treated as valued individuals. As a smaller boutique property we can really do this well. It is really good to know that we exceeded your expectations in all categories. We really would love to have you come again and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

We've been twice now to this hotel, set in the heart of Winnipegs exchange district which has so much history to offer and old world charm, you can park in many places but we've always parked in the parkade across the street. We've stayed in both Rome and Mexico so far, we thought Mexico was amazing, and found Rome even more to our liking with its statues and elegance, both rooms had the jetted tubs, fire places, personal dining space and steam showers... total relaxation, and decadence. The people at this hotel make the difference; Terry was so helpful in choosing just the right room and the way they think of everything from setting candles around to make the mood just right prior to our arrival (thats a small $10 extra, but you get more candles for later too, well worth it) to bringing you bowls for fruit or chips you may bring with you...they think of all the extras you may require to make your stay just perfect. the website is great but still the pictures don't do the rooms justice!

Room Tip: If you are a non smoker, and have trouble with smoke you may like to choose a non smoking room. I s...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Lowell L, General Manager at Mariaggi's Theme Suite Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review. I will let Terri know how much you appreciated her service. As a smaller boutique property we try our best to pay attention to the details. Customer service is extremely important at our property. Helping guests with little things like lighting candles, providing bowls and cutlery and just appreciating that our guests really need to be pampered for the night really is important. Everyone is so busy now a days and when couples have a chance to get away it really is a big deal - even if it is only for a night or two! Both Mexico and Rome are really wonderfully designed suites. Mexico is really fun with the artwork and Rome is very romantic with the design. Thank you for scoring us five stars in all categories. It is encouraging to see guests return and we really hope to see you again soon.