“Party in Jakarta room”

Mariaggi's Theme Suites Hotel and Spa
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
“Party in Jakarta room”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Stace and I dropped by to a gathering in the most incredible party room in the city!
I can't even begin to explain how cool the Jakarta room is! Whatever your function, from bd's to staff get togethers, to corp events, I'd recommend this awesome space. You will have a blast!

Room Tip: Every room is a theme room. You can't go wrong picking any of them!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank TomMcGouran
Lowell L, General Manager at Mariaggi's Theme Suites Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
It was so nice showing you and Stace around the hotel last weekend while you were attending a party in the Jakarta Suite. We hope you enjoyed the newly installed private balcony and the pool table and baby grand piano. Everyone was really having a great time and the tiger prawns flambé was a real hit too. Giving us a 5 star rating in every category is really appreciated. We hope to see you again soon. I know you liked the Caribbean suite (pool table and waterfall hot tub suite) and we should be finished Cuba soon!! Please keep recommending us to your group of friends and family.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Reviewed 22 March 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed there for a weekend. We stayed in the Moroccan suite. It was well worth it and ended up not even leaving the hotel for two days. Every thing was amazing from the food to the service and we could not imagine them making your stay any more special. The hardest part of the whole time was deciding on which room to stay in ;)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Todd E
Morocco is really a wonderful suite. We spent a lot of time creating a relaxing environment in this suite. The Moroccan arch over hanging the waterfall hot tub area is really superb. Guests love lounging in the waterfall hot tub where you can enjoy the waterfall and the back jets at the same time. It is a special feature that we designed specifically for our guests and is really fun. We hope you enjoyed the steam room with the marine speakers inside. The sound is really great with a 200 watt stereo system complete with CD and Ipod hookup. I know you cocooned yourselves in Morocco for two days but I hope you enjoyed some of Canada's turn of the century architecture when you finally exited the hotel. We really enjoyed being of service to you and hope to see you again soon. Please keep on telling friends and family of your great experience.
Reviewed 17 March 2014

When they called to confirm our reservation (after I booked online), I was told the room we had booked wasn't available, so we upgraded to the penthouse for a lot more money. We spent 2 weeks getting excited for our stay. 3 hours before we were to check in, I received a call and was told the penthouse wasn't available due to electrical issues, so we were moved to a room considerably smaller. The man, Lloyd I believe, was friendly and accommodating with a discount in our rate.

There were no phones in our room, no access (or option) for room service, no option for breakfast whatsoever, and we had to choose our dinner when I walked in the door. The decor in our room was cheesy at best, though the tile work was impressive, and the bed needed a new mattress. The best part of our stay was the jacuzzi tub (NOT a hot tub by the way). The dinner was also very nice, but not worth the $90 we paid. Finally, the drink machine didn't even have water, just pop.

For a place that is meant for couples, you'd think there would be options for room service and an abundance of water available.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Erica S
Nice talking with you today. I apologize for the last minute change of suite. The hot tub in Jakarta was not working properly and we did not want you to come into a suite that had a problem. We have now fixed the problem and hope that you will come back to enjoy this suite when you have time. Generally most of our guests enjoy the décor in Caribbean. Everything in this suite is from the Caribbean. The artwork and statues are really special pieces. Of course if you are to compare this suite to the Jakarta room there is a big difference. I am happy to know that you enjoyed the waterfall hot tub and the tile work. I will tell the chef your dinner was very tasty. We do not cater in breakfast but we do very nice lunches and as you know we have room service for dinner too. Most of our guests go to the Winnipeg Free Press News Café located downstairs for breakfast in the morning. It is nice to know that our service while you were here was very good. We hope that next time you stay your partner will be able to get off work so that you can enjoy some couple time with him. I am certain that your stay with us would be much better if he was able to make it in with you. We hope to see you return soon. Please call me anytime to discuss further.
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Rooms are great. Jacuzzi, sauna, pool, bed are perfect.
Service is terrible.
No one ever at the front desk.
No parking. If you are not from Winnipeg, you are in trouble.
Make sure you discuss the price and details long ahead and the payment is made, so you won't be surprised.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank nemetz79
I am sorry to hear that the service was not very good when you stayed. We usually score very high in guest service and take care of our guests like no other hotel can. We must have been helping other guests when you came out to look for some service. We do have a list of phone numbers that are available for you to call anytime if there is something that you need. We did not receive any calls the night you stayed. We are happy to know you appreciated the room décor and the cleanliness. The waterfall hot tub is really a neat feature. We spent a lot of time creating a relaxing environment in the suite. Guests love lounging in the waterfall hot tub where you can enjoy the waterfall and the back jets at the same time. It is a special feature that only our hotel has. We hope you enjoyed the steam room with the marine speakers inside. The sound is really great with a 200 watt stereo system complete with CD and Ipod hookup. We hope that you come back and enjoy a great escape the way most of our guests do. Please call me anytime to discuss how we can improve our service further.
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I was looking for a romantic place to take my girlfriend for her birthday, I tried checking out rooms at the Fairmont and the Fort Garry. Sure the rooms are nice there if you were on a business trip or something. But you wouldn't want to surprise your loved one with a simple, generic, business-themed getaway. That's how I felt when I checked out what rooms Winnipeg had for the high prices they demanded. Then I stumbled upon Mariaggi's, Winnipeg and Canada's best kept secret! I never expected the rooms to be way better than the pictures (which they are) so I had to see it in person. When I got there I met Sarah who literally had all the time in her day to show me each room and what perks they offered. You won't believe how classy and nicely decorated the rooms are, my favorite was India. It was by far the best night in a hotel I've ever stayed in. I've stayed in expensive hotels in New York, L.A., Hawaii and all over Europe. Who would have known that not one of them could even come close to matching a theme suite hotel in my own city?! All the rooms at Mariaggi's are actually soundproofed, so you can play pool or crank your music all night long. I'd say try doing that at another hotel, but they wouldn't have elite surround-sound systems or pool tables for that matter. Steam rooms, Jacuzzi's with waterfalls over rocks? I could seriously write a book about how romantic this hotel is. The ONLY downfall of this hotel, if I absolutely had to pick a negative aspect of it, would be the fact that it's ruined me for staying at any other hotels when I travel, because I know the best hotel in the world is in Winnipeg named Mariaggi's.

Room Tip: Go for the India room, 1000 square feet, pool table, steam room, jacuzzi, waterfall, surround-sound...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CatalinaWineMixer22
Lowell L, General Manager at Mariaggi's Theme Suites Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Thank you for your very nice review. Winnipeg has a lot to offer and it is nice to know that you think Mariaggi's is one of those things that make our city that much better. For the past 30 years we have been providing great escapes for couples and still there are many whom have never heard of us. We are glad to know that you found our hotel and that your stay with us exceeded expectations. Please continue to tell friends and family about our small boutique property. It is nice to know that Sarah was such a big help. We really want our guests to feel well taken care of. Waterfall hot tub suites like India, Caribbean, Morocco and Jakarta are really cool. Guests can sit under the falls and feel like they are in another country! It is especially pleasing when the weather is exceptionally cold like it has been this winter. Thank you for rating our hotel 5 stars in every category. We really appreciate you staying with us and would love to see you again soon.
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My boyfriend and I have recently stayed at the Mariaggi and as it ended perfectly it was definitely a rough start. The person who introduced the room to us gave off a very creepy vibe as he explained how he had a steam shower for 8 hours before... in our shower, and gave us a helpful tip of bringing in a bucket of ice so we could sip on it while we were in there. Instead of "have a wonderful escape" or "enjoy your stay", he said to us "happy kidnapping", which made my skin crawl.We also didn't receive a tour or any knowledge of our room and were discouraged as we over heard other guests receiving a presentation of theirs. On a positive note,our dinner was a 10/10 topping it off with wonderful cheesecake. The room is very romantic, clean, and unique, and overall we had a very nice stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stephanie03840
Thank you for your review. Jason can use the wrong verbiage at times. I talked with him about the Happy Kidnapping phrase. In his defense he was just a little over eager to make sure you had a great time. Jason really loves the rooms and wants to make sure our guests do as well. It was a good idea to suggest you bring in some ice to the steam room but he did not need to tell you how many hours he spent there himself. Everyone including Jason really want our guests to feel welcome and extra special. Normally we take guests on a special history tour and it is too bad that you were not shown this. We are glad that everything else was great and your stay ended perfectly. It is nice to know that you enjoyed dinner and the homemade cheesecake. Most of our guest prefer to dine in the comfort of the hotel room instead of leaving to go out to eat. The meal is full of flavor and portions are large. Thank you also for rating the hotel cleanliness, location and room design five stars. We would love to see you again soon for your next great escape.
Reviewed 26 February 2014

The challenging part of staying at the Mariaggi,begins after you have made that decision - you have to decide which of the amazing rooms you are going to choose for your romantic adventure. Each of the rooms is beautifully and tastefully decorated in a theme - Rome, Africa, Hawaii, India, Mexico etc. It's difficult to decide! The hotel is charming and comfortable. Dinner can be arranged to be brought in so you never have to leave. And you won't want to!
Corporately we've rented the largest suite for a business gathering that couldn't have been more fun and special.

Room Tip: Difficult to decide. Use your imagination and let the room take you on an exotic getaway.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SpicyLaura
Thank you for your kind review. It is really nice to know how much you enjoyed our hotel. Each room has a unique flavor and guests find it difficult sometimes to choose which getaway suite they want. We spend a lot of time to develop the suite. We bring in artwork and other furnishings that represent the country of the theme. The tile work and finishing carpentry as well as the little details like candle light and designer linens and towels really add to the luxury of the getaway. The Jakarta Suite is particularly a wonderful environment. It is perfect for small parties as well as for extraordinary couple getaways. We are so glad you enjoyed our service as well as our location which is really becoming a wonderful shopping and night life destination in Winnipeg. We would love to see you back again soon!