“What a pleasant surprise!”

Marion Street Eatery
Ranked #13 of 1,643 Restaurants in Winnipeg
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Good food made simple - all the flavor and tender care with a little less fuss. We are a locally owned neighborhood food spot in the heart of St. Boniface serving up fresh quality comfort food in a cozy surrounding well suited for great conversation.
Winnipeg
“What a pleasant surprise!”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This new eatery has it all. Pleasant decor, comfortable old chairs, creative cooking , beautiful presentation and staff that act like they genuinely care about your comfort. No intrusive music just the pleasant buzz of conversation provides an ambiance that welcomes conversation.
Have been back three times and each time impressed with the creative twists and the quality of ingredients. Best Eggs Benedict anywhere...real ham, real hollandaise on a croissant, interesting appetizers. Such a lovely mix of creative cuisine and comfort food.
The only problem is that they're very busy at meal times. Come early. You'll want to linger.b

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Winnipeg_10_10

Winnipeg, MB
“Good food and plenty of it”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My wife, her sister and I went recently to the Marion Street Eatery with a bit of trepidation, even though the restaurant had a wonderful review in the local paper. You see, the Marion Hotel in which the restaurant was established earlier this year has a degree of notoriety for the large number of motorcycle riders who frequent the bar in the establishment. The signs on the street ask car drivers to park in the parking lot so that motorcycles can park on the street.

We walked in the door for lunch and were met by a very friendly bartender/waitress who took our names and said the wait would be 20 minutes or so, but added we were welcome to sit at the restaurant bar while we waited. We did so, and immersed ourselves in the eclectic atmosphere of the restaurant and the equally eclectic menu.

The restaurant features white walls, brick pillars with antique decorations and heavy wooden tables of various sizes with mis-matched (but re-finished and re-padded) comfortable antique chairs like I used to see at my grandparents' dinner table. I think that plays a part in the overall ambience of the restaurant. The staff truly seem welcoming and want to treat customers like friends and family.

The menu is comfort food with a twist and with a definite Manitoba flavor. It features stick-to-your ribs options like Chili made with Manitoba bison, mac and cheese with broccoli and a cheese sauce with locally-produced award-winning Bothwell cheddar.

I was tempted by the Macaroni but it was sold out for the day by the time we got there at 2. So instead, I tried the Grilled Cheese sandwich - Prosciutto ham, roasted garlic goat cheese, aged cheddar, tomatoes, and garlic sautéed mushrooms on between rye bread. I quickly crowned it the best grilled cheese in town. My only advice - ask for an extra napkin in case the mushrooms squirt out from the sandwich when you take a bite.

My wife had the steak sandwich with sautéed mushrooms and peppers in a balsamic glaze on a baguette and her sister enjoyed the Reuben with house-made Thousand Island and Gruyere cheese instead of the usual Swiss. Both of them raved about their selections.

My only complaints (and they were very small): I had the broccoli cream soup with my sandwich and I would've liked it creamier - my wife had the fries and they were to die for. And it did take us a bit longer to get a seat and to get our food than we would've liked. But the food was worth the wait when you don't have to rush back to work.

Would we go back? In a heartbeat.

• Visited May 2014