“Worst HI I have stayed in.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Winnipeg
HI-Winnipeg Downtowner
Toronto, Canada
“Worst HI I have stayed in.”
Reviewed 30 August 2011

This has got to be the worst HI I have stayed in in Canada.

The place was run down.

It was fairly warm outside the night I stayed here. The air conditioner in the room didn't work and to open the window the blackout blind has to be up half way (large window with small opening). When I tried to roll up the blind it didn't roll up and the whole thing fell off the mount.

The room was dusty and I really didn't want to take off my flip flops. The bathroom in the room had no ventilation and there was rust in the tub. The bunks weren't all that great either, they squeaked a lot.

Even though there was WiFi in the place, I couldn't get a signal in my room.

Paying to park at a hostel is annoying.

Avoid this place if you can!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank CndTrvlr042

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Inishowen Peninsula, Ireland
Reviewed 28 July 2011

My experience here may have been a bit skewed by the awful experience I had in another Winnipeg hotel the previous two nights. The HI seemed like paradise in comparison. I came to the HI last minute and thankfully they had availability. The staff are really helpful and there is an excellent vegetarian restaurant on the ground floor (try the parsnip ravioli, mmmm). The rooms are really outdated, but I think the staff try their best to give their guests a good experience though by organising a pub crawl on Thursday nights, having a pretty good bar and rec room, and of course the restaurant. There's a good vibe in the place. I hope they'll do something with the rooms and make a jewel for young travellers to Winnipeg.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 1 April 2011

I was told it was renovated previously so that bathrooms are now in the room. This is not a great feature, but standard for hostels nowadays.
The room wasn't very clean and didn't feel comfortable. The bar was lame. Kitchen good. Ask for a bed in the lower etage of a bunk bed as they are bigger.
The location was close to the big shopping centre and not basically good located. However, I did not feel safe at 7pm 5mins away from the hostel. As tourist you never know how safe it is anyways, but I rarely felt as uncomfortable as there.
Not too far away from Greyhound station.

Room Tip: ask for a lower bed = bigger; near shopping centre