“always loved it”

Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown Winnipeg
Reviewed 9 January 2012

great food! I love sushi taco, explosion roll , tempura, noodle dishes

Reviewed 21 January 2011

I picked February as that was as far back as it would go. I went here with a friend of mine for lunch (which, if you work downtown, it's taken for granted that you need to be in and out in about an hour). After being ignored by our server (who turned out to be the owner) for 20 minutes, we finally had our order taken. We then waited another 30 minutes before our food came. We asked that it be boxed up and for the server to bring our bill, as we had to leave right away. We were rudely told that the food took so long because we took so long to ake up our minds re: what we wanted. We then asked to speak to the manager. She told us she was the owner, so it made no sense to complain about our horrible service to the owner who was, in fact, our server. I would never recommend this restaurant to anyone after receiving service like that. Had it been our fault, then that was one thing. But taking 20 minutes to take our order, 30 minutes to receive our food, then having a snotty owner tell us it was our fault was enough to make sure we told all our friends and co-workers not to bother eating at this restaurant anymore. It was too bad - the food wasn't terrible and the other times we'd gone there, we'd received good service. However, if that is the way the owner treats her customers, then that is one place I never want to go again.

Reviewed 5 December 2010

I visit Winnipeg quite frequently as I have relatives here. Coming from a big city with lots of choices and options, I never considered Winnipeg to be a premier contender on the Japanese sushi scene. How wrong I was! My relatives took me out to Asahi and it is like no other! I opted for the Omakase which essentially allows the Chef to make whatever he likes, I had a 8-course meal complete with appetizer and dessert. It was heavenly! Will go to again next time I fly in! It's pricey, but its a lot of value and you get what you pay for. If you don't want to go overkill with the special Omakase, you can opt to pick from their endless menu of delicious items!

Reviewed 2 December 2010

Asahi Sushi consistently delivers quality Japanese food. The restaurant excels in offering a wide variety of Japanese delicacies. Friendly and caring service adds to the delightful experience.

In-depth review

Sashimi -
One of the main highlights that makes Asahi stand out from the majority of Japanese restaurants in Winnipeg, are their sashimi. I've dined at majority of Japanese restaurants in Winnipeg, only to be disappointed by half-frozen or sickening warm sashimi. Asahi Sushi, is one of the very few places in town that places the utmost attention to chilling and preparing their sashimi to optimal temperatures so that it doesn't come out warm or frozen. I've been to Tokyo's famous fish market, Tsukiji, and have had the pleasure of tasting the sashimi there, and let me tell you... The taste is out of this world altogether. Asahi Sushi comes closest to offering that same experience.

Sushi -
Let's get one thing straight, making sushi is a complex art. There's more to it than just rolling a bunch of ingredients into rice and seaweed. It is an art I believe the sushi chef's at Asahi Sushi have down pat. All of the sushi, that I've ordered from them to this date, has always been carefully crafted, to prevent everything from falling apart before it makes it to my mouth. Again, this should be a given for any sushi restaurant, but you'd be surprised at what a lot of places in town are offering these days. The portions are generous as well, and they don't stuff your roll with just rice (seasoned sushi-goers will be able to relate). My personal favorites are the Caterpillar & Rainbow Roll, and Uni Nigiri.

Omakase -
For those feeling adventurous and aren't too concerned about price, there's the Omakase. Basically, you're paying them a set fee to create a custom full-course meal full of delightful surprises. You can request a certain ingredient(s) to be used for the Omakase, if you prefer, and the masterminds at Asahi Sushi will come up with dishes that are guaranteed to please. I've only had their Omakase once so far, and all I can say is WOW! My Omakase consisted of a variety of completely new and tantalizing fusion dishes, which were not available on the menu. I was completely satisfied with the Omakase, and will be returning for round two very shortly. You really do get what you pay for.

Misc. -
For an appetizer I would recommend the Sake Clams. I haven't seen this item available at any other Japanese restaurant in Winnipeg, it is a unique and delicious appetizer. The clams were succulent and bursting with flavor from the delicate sake broth they were immersed in. Those looking for more standard Japanese appetizers can always go with the tempura. If you’re going the tempura route, whether its vegetable or shrimp, you’ll be relieved that your tempura won’t be overly greasy while retaining its crispy and flaky texture.

Ending Remarks -
If you’re looking for a quality Japanese establishment, search no further, Asahi Sushi is the place to be.

Reviewed 9 July 2010

I have tried many sushi places and this is by far the best one Winnipeg has to offer. The prices are high, but I guess you get what you pay for. My husband and I usually end up here for birthdays/anniversaries as we can't get enough of it!