“Not a place for Vegetarians”

Bailey's Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Bailey's Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #115 of 1,639 Restaurants in Winnipeg
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Canadian, American, International
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown Winnipeg
Cross street: Main Street
Transit: Bailey's is located at Portage and Main which is at the heart of Winnipeg. There are public transit stops within walking distance.
Winnipeg, Canada
“Not a place for Vegetarians”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

On December 13th we attended a family birthday party at Bailey's with reservations for over 20 people with me being the only vegetarian in the group. We sat upstairs and we had good service from the staff. When looking over the menu no vegetarian options were available. Upon request, a sheet of paper was promptly provided by the wait staff with 3 vegetarian options. A rice and vegetable stuffed pepper, and 2 pasta options. I ordered the stuffed pepper meal and unfortunately it was a huge disappointment! It was just okay. It was simply white rice with nondescript veggies and I'm sure it had been nuked at the last minute before it was served as the inside of the peppers were so steaming hot, even after cutting up into smaller pieces, the steam emanating from the middle of the pepper still managed to burn my mouth. It came with a side order of potato and one broccoli and cauliflower floret which when presented at the table was cold. A very uninspired meal. I was charged a group rate for my meal of $45.00. As the other members of my party had a choice of rack of lamb, chicken, filet mignon, veal, steaks and seafood for their group rate. When I received the bill I saw I had been charged the same as everyone else. When I mention to our server about the price of my "meatless" meal I was told I was charged a group rate and if I needed to, I could call and speak to the manager the next day. It was also mentioned that the table next to us was empty and they had lost revenue from potential guests? Not sure how this was related to my meal? It was quite apparent that nothing would be resolved that night. I do realize that this establishment is not known for it's vegetarian fare. However if only three options are to be provided to their guests I would make darn sure they would be the best I could offer, something I would want to come back and eat their again. Being vegetarian does not mean I have to sit home while family & friends go out to celebrate!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Lise E

“Great, but expensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

The food is amazing, service is great, drinks great...but a little on the pricey side. We brought some cash from our hotel room thinking it would be enough but turns out I could only have 1 beer with my meal. But, great place, I highly recommend it.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Naxzor
“Historical Ambience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

The ambience is unique and historical and the restaurant has great lunch specials and usually very good food. Last few times I ate there the service wasn't as good and the food was ok. I intend to go back to see if it has returned to its usual great service great lunch.

• Visited July 2013
Toronto
“Skip it”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

I have read all the reviews for Bailey's. I have concluded that the review from TK26_12 as reviewed in October 2012, is so completely accurate that I can only add a few extra comments that are related to my experience.

We dined on Saturday June 29 and had a reservation for 7:00 pm. We were given the choice of eating in the restaurant upstairs or in the lounge - the difference being that a lighter menu along with the full restaurant menu was offered in the lounge. We chose the lounge as we had a person in our group that was looking for something lighter. The fact of the matter is that there were only 4 additional diners in the entire large scale restaurant when we arrived! While it was the Canada Day long weekend, it was still a Saturday and a place of this magnitude/history ought to have more than 4 people dining at 7:00 pm. Our party made a total of 9 people in the entire place. Not a single person in the upstairs restaurant which was closed by a rope. This spoke volumes even before we ordered.

I would seem that nothing has improved since the above reviewer added their comments. Tired menu, tired decor with an uninspired menu. Such a shame really. This place could be something pretty special if the menu was modernized while remaining classic. You can tell by the glassware the bar uses that the menu has not changed in decades. Carpet can use a cleaning, the tables are tacky and the chairs are stained.

I had the Reuben sandwich which they claim they are famous for. They can't really mess up a Reuben, but it was not something to be famous for. What could the do to make this classic super special? Take the time and care enough to make their own corned beef and sauerkraut. Simple changes like this will take Bailey's into 2013. As diners we 'expect' this type of attention to detail.

There is no love in the menu. I am certain that there is a 'cook' in the kitchen as a chef would not dare present this tired, lazy, boring menu.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank bitbytravelbug1
Brandon, Canada
“Average.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

This is a "higher end " restaurant therefore I arrived with " high-end" expectations. The decor was very nice and this restaurant appeared to fit the high end vision that I had imagined. Our reservation was screwed up and we waited 25 mins for a drink. Everyone had a different dish and my prime rib was less than impressive. I was told that it was the last one and wondered why they would be out of prime rib at 7:00 pm on a Saturday night. I received a dry ,very tough rib that I really believe was from the day before...Really bad...everyone else seemed OK with their meals.
Not really impressed with the service ,value, or quality... I can do better than this at home! Their staff seemed stressed and should learn to smile a bit more....

• Visited May 2013