“Cold food and Filthy restaurant”

Shabusen Chinese Food Restaurant
Ranked #778 of 1,643 Restaurants in Winnipeg
Cuisines: Chinese
Neighbourhood: Regent
Neighbourhood: Regent
Winnipeg, Canada
“Cold food and Filthy restaurant”
Reviewed 3 November 2011

I had been to this restaurant only once in the past and didnt recall it being bad. However upon arrival and entry into the restaurant I was absolutely appalled at the filth. The first thing that occured to me was that the carpet was so dirty as we walked to our table that my shoes were sticking to it, just like if you spilled something sticky on your kitchen floor and didn's wash it. Then we were seated and the waitress asked me "how old is your kid"? I informed her my daughter was 7. Then there was the food. The buffet was cold for the most part, the egg rolls tasted horrible as you could tell the grease they were cooked in was old and dirty. I also had the mongolian self serve stir fry which was not bad but I couldn't get over how dirty it was, made me wonder what the kitchen looked like. Dinner was 14$ a person which was way too much. I also ordered a drink, a vodka and orange juice which I couldnt drink because it was made with tang instead of real juice and there was actually about half an inch of the tang sitting settled in the bottom of the glass. My advice, keep driving the food is horrible and it is a dirty dirty restaurant not to mention it is very over priced.

• Visited November 2011
4 Thank D S

Winnipeg, Canada
“Worst restaurant experience ever”
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Hands down, the worst service and restaurant experience we've ever had. Despite being to Shabusen on several occasions in the past, we will not be returning. Not unlike other Mongolian/Chinese restaurants, the decor leaves a lot to be desired, but food has kept us returning. Tonight, we went because we had a coupon from one of the online group purchase sites. Obviously, they have not planned for the additional business these coupons will bring in and the entire buffet was empty when we arrived. Speaking of arrival, it took several minutes to be greeted and once seated, we had to track down a server after waiting 10 mins to get a menu - and the server appeared to be inconvenienced with our request. The line for the buffet quickly grew and started to wrap around the restaurant while guests waited for the ingredients to be re-stocked. The hot buffet remained 1/2 empty during our entire meal, leaving us unable to even try a few of these dishes. Our empty plates piled at the end of the table and were never cleared, the man at the next table had to grab a water pitcher to fill their table's glasses and was kind enough to top ours up. Fortunately, we were not in much of a rush, since it took another 30 mins to receive our bill. Then when walking up to the cash register to pay, we waited another 10 mins for someone to come to the till and take our money! Other guests waiting behind us to pay had just experienced Shabusen for the first time and, needless to say, were underwhelmed and would not be returning. Very disappointing to say the least.

• Visited October 2011
2 Thank Christie M
Winnipeg
“Excellent "Mongolian-style" buffet.”
Reviewed 17 June 2011

Pick your cooked appetizers from the all-you-can-eat counter before you start your main meal.

The main meal has with you picking your favorite raw noodles, raw veggies and raw meats from the all-you-can-eat buffet before you arrive at the seasoning bar. There you pour your choice of sauces and seasonings into your bowl before handing it to the cook who cooks your stir-fry in front of your eyes.

You get to choose your spice level and then take it back to your table to enjoy. You can go back for 2nds and 3rds if you like.

You finish your meal with your selections from the all-you-can-eat dessert bar which features cakes and brownies, as well as several hard ice-creams as well as a soft ice cream machine. The women that I've dined with at Shabusen have told me that the desserts aren't that great.

The decor is budget, at best. The food and good service more than make up for this.

• Visited May 2011
4 Thank chrisCrunchy
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Great place for Chinese...”
Reviewed 14 January 2008

Great place for Chinese food!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Excellent buffet during...”
Reviewed 9 November 2007

Excellent buffet during the day

2 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook