“Disappointed”

Dining options: Reservations
Winnipeg
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Don't know why this restaurant gets good reviews. We paid for a litre of wine for $10 more than else where to start. I ordered a Tortila chip apetizer. It had 10 chips on the plate cheese some puréed beans sauce and a small amount of fried beef also on the side. I also ordered gucomole on the side which was very good for gucomole. Well that was a $13.00 plate. I was asked how was it. I did inform him I was disappointed. I was told it was small so I would have room for dessert! Not exactly what I want to know. My wife ordered a combo plate which some of it we enjoyed but it was really quite blande. We left quite disappointed. My wife enjoyed being carinaded though. It had a Mexican feel although the cuisine is actually Alsalvadorian.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Wesley A

Brandon, Canada
“First-timers - enjoyed ourselves”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Went here for the first time on a Wednesday around 5 pm. The place was part of Southglen mall, which made me a bit nervous but the menu was posted and looked good. We went in and the place was completely empty (no surprise at that early hour). Nonetheless, we were asked if we had a reservation. We said no, and she said OK, then she would give us one. We kind of laughed to ourselves, but the restaurant started filling pretty quickly up so I'm sure she had good reason. I guess a lot of people make reservations, but somebody came much later than us and got a table easily. We tried to order really quickly to get our order in before the two or three other tables that came in after us. I believe we waited about 40 minutes for our food. My husband and I both ordered horchata, but she said they only had one left, so we got a sangria as well. The horchata was very good, as smooth as milk. I'm used to them being grainier. They have some unusual juices as well, like chan. We both ordered combination platters with the chipotle chicken tortilla soup. We both really enjoyed the soup, which had some bite. My combination platter included the "enchilada" (not like the kind you get at Mexican restaurants; it was like a round taco chip with a meat sauce on top), a corn tamale wrapped in a corn husk, a chicken tamale wrapped in a banana leaf, and a pupusa (which I think was pork and cheese). All very tasty. The room was cute: terracota coloured walls with a bright yellow table. When we were done dinner, we waited to see if desserts would be offered but we were left alone. I assumed they didn't serve dessert as there were none listed on the main menu and no dessert menu appeared. Eventually my husband went to the cash register to pay as no bill appeared either. He waited perhaps 10 minutes or more before somebody came to the cash register! Apparently they do serve a pavlova according to other reviews here; I would have loved to try it as I love meringue. Instead, we went next door to Enzo's Gelati. Staff are sweet and I think the service is slow because they don't have a lot of staff and they are making food from scratch.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank rtw2010
Winnipeg, Canada
“Small place with a lot of charm.”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We visited this small local restaurant without a reservation. We were early and they had room for us for dinner but it did fill up as we sat there. The food was very fresh and full of flavor. My husband ordered the spicy chicken and the server checked to make sure he really liked spicy as it was very spicy. It required some water to cool off the mouth a little and it was spicy but he enjoyed it very much. I had a combination plate so I could try a few things. It was all fresh and hot. I enjoyed being able to sample different things to see what I may not like or would like more of next time. WE would go back for sure.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank ForzenInPeg
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bland food rip off prices.”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My partner and I are always looking for new great restaurants. This one dispute the great reviews was terrible. We were recommended to try the combination plate for $18 they offer you the option of turning it vegetarian. So that's what I ordered. What they fail to mention is that vegetarian version is just giving you the combo minus the meat items with no substitution but the same price. Make sense? Not at all. One item in this combo plate was a enchilada their version was a large tortilla chip with runny bean paste on top sadly that was the best part of the plate.
I also ordered for the table guacamoli and chips. It came with about 10-12 chips and chopped up avocado nothing more in the recipe then avocado mushed up. Price of that $8. At the end of the night my bill was $95.

I come to the conclusion that the only reason this they get good reviews is because its the only mecican restaurant in the area.

Want to eat real good food for 1/2 the price go to Café Mercadito Latino
Or Jc tacos pricy but cheeper then la fiesta and quality tasty food

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank My_g_word
Winnipeg, Canada
“Great food and service definitely not fast food”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

The restaurant is small but food is authentic and prepared fresh daily. Many choices on the menu and the combos help you decide what you like best.. Bright and cheery interior.

• Visited June 2013