“It was fine!”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown Winnipeg
Description: The Beachcomber Restaurant is located at one of the most popular and historic destinations in Winnipeg, - The Forks Market. The Beachcomber Restaurant is a great place to have a meal, a drink or just relax with a hot beverage. If you're looking for Seafood, Pasta, Steak or Chicken we have many delicious dishes to feed your appetite. We look forward to serving you!
“It was fine!”
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

We want here to celebrate my birthday. The food was fine, the prices were on par to what you ordered. There is nothing exceptional or outstanding about this restaurant. The food was good, the pricing was fair and the service was average at best. You will not leave disappointed but you will not leave wowed... You will just leave full and satisfied.

North Dakota
“GREAT CHICKEN TENDERS!”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We ate here once and if we hadn't left early we would have NO DOUBT returned. We only had the chicken tenders and homemade fries with drinks on the day we ate here but they were really good. The staff was great too. Yes, I would eat here again.

Visited June 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poor service, so-so food”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

My wife and I ate at Beachcomber with friends from SK last night. They really took their time in bringing in our orders. I was too busy chatting with our out-of-town visitors to actually time them, but it felt like a long time. The dessert we ordered for the kids in our group was especially bad. As soon as I ordered some, seeing we're almost done with our main course, the waitress offered to have it brought in right away. After maybe half-an-hour, she came back to say it won't be ready for another 7 minutes and asked if we still want it. We suspected they forgot to prepare it. Since by then the kids already had some cotton candy bought from outside, we decided to just cancel dessert.

With the time they took preparing our food and given the high price, you'd think the quality of the food would be excellent. It was just so-so, except for the peach n mandarin pasta dish, which was terrible since the "pasta" tasted like noodles. Now I'm thinking the food having been brought in by two guys rather than our waitress had something to do with it. They made a mistake with one of our orders so they then must have had those two guys, who might have been the restaurant managers, to bring them in to apologize and offer to make amends IF we notice the error and complain. Since we didn't say anything, they just went on their way, which is in stark contrast to our experience at another restaurant.

When my wife and I ate at Tony Roma's near Polo Park before, there was some delay in our order too because the cook mistakenly used salmon instead of pickerel in one of our orders. We were too busy admiring the ambience to notice the delay before the manager came by our table to explain what happened and apologized. Even when we assured him we didn't mind, he still tried to make amends by offering to serve any dessert of our choice on the house. When we refused the offer, he just waived the cost of our drinks from our bill.

So my impression: while Tony Roma's and other well-managed restaurants come clean with any mistake and readily make amends, Beachcomber might apologize and might make amends IF you notice the mistake and complain about it. Of course, we'll probably not come back there to find out if they really might do any of these things. The standard 10% tip I left on this one occasion was definitely not deserved.

1 Thank Joselito M
“Terrible Service”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I never write reviews but this was the worst experience I've had at a restaurant in a very long time. The service was terrible. It took over 15 minutes for our drinks to arrive (for two people) and no water was offered in the meantime. After asking the waitress how long the food was going to take, since we had to be back at work in an hour, she told us that it would be about 30 minutes. We decided to wait and after almost 45 minutes, we still didn't have our food and the waitress offered no explanations or apologies. Four tables that arrived after us, not only got their drink orders before we did but they also got there food before we did. After an hour we finally got our food but had it packed up to go, and after all of that the fries were stale and the bread on the Miami club was hard. Ridiculous. I will never go back!

Thank tarynamanda13 .
Winnipeg, Canada
“Good atmosphere, good staff, don't come for the food”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

It was a friends' birthday and I had never been to this restaurant before. It's in a great location and while the decor is somewhat blah, the hostess and staff were very friendly and attentive. The drinks were good and is the reason why I would come back for drinks ONLY. I had the crab stuffed pickerel and I erroneously assumed that it would be fresh. Not even close. The meal reminded me of the frozen food at the bottom of your freezer that you forget about, and then heat it up just to see if it might be salvaged. This is what they served me on a bed of rice pilaf that lacked any sort of flavor. If they can't serve something decent for the prices they charge, then take it off the menu. It's large enough that they should be able to do some signature items really well.

2 Thank hardern