“Pretty nice!”

Sandman Hotel & Suites Winnipeg Airport
Ranked #36 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Hotel was very nice, modern decor and the two restaurants attached make it very convenient. Staff was really friendly and helpful and accommodating. It's seemed like the policy's were the problem, my boyfriend needed to be picked up from the airport after dropping off the rental van and I called down from my room to book the pick up but apparently he had to call from the airport....kinda silly when the van was still in the parking lot but he had to find the phones and this meant he missed that van. We had to meet a ride so it was very inconvenient Apparently a radio is 1000 dollars and can't have a phone...I understand you can't check it when your.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 January 2014

My husband, myself and our toddler decided to stay at this hotel because he had a flight the following day. We made a reservation online and checked in at around 5PM. The desk manager was not super friendly, but efficient and got us checked in quickly.

We booked the executive junior suite. I would not recommend this room type to someone that really needs two beds. The room was a standard sized room with a king bed and a pull-out sofa. The pull out sofa was not a very comfortable one, but the bed was nice. If we had our other children with us I would definitely book a larger room with two beds.

The room was clean and the bathroom was surprisingly a nice size. I love the soaps and shampoos they provide at this hotel brand.

On this particular stay, the room and the hotel itself were very cold. We had to set the heat fairly high to keep the room a nice temperature. The lobby was cold and the hallways were cold. I understand that it is Winnipeg (I live in northern Manitoba) but was surprised at how chilly the hotel was, I've never encountered this at other hotels.

I like that there is a little snack bar area located down in the lobby equipped with a microwave, cooler with drinks for sale and various snacks and toiletries. This is handy instead of having to carry around change for vending machines (although there are vending machines as well in the hotel), you can just charge the purchase to your room.

There is a fitness facility provided, with lots of choices for equipment. We really liked that the hotel provided this. There is also an indoor pool.

Attached to this hotel is Chop Steak & Seafood Bar as well as a 24 hour Denny's. We have never tried Chop and it was quite good (although a bit on the pricey side). Denny's was great.

Checkout was quick and convenient. The front desk staff in the morning was super friendly and courteous.

Overall our stay was nice, although a bit chilly. Would upgrade to a different room if staying in the future.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Stayed here as the overnight between two busy days in Winnipeg for work. Great location by the airport, check-in was quick with pleasant staff at the desk, and solid first impression based on lobby and walking in.
Room was nice and big, clean, no issues or concerns. Bathroom also big, clean, up to date fixtures and plenty of towels. Bed was comfy and provided an excellent sleep, no noise whatsoever from surrounding rooms.
Has The Chop & a Dennys attached for dining convenience which means you don't even have to walk outside which is great in a Winnipeg winter!
Overall good stay, would definitely return when in town on business again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We recently stayed at the hotel as a quick stopover between flights. We caught the shuttle bus to the hotel from the airport. Excellent service.
The check in was quick. The staff were helpful and friendly. The room was spacious and clean. We ate in Denny's diner which is 24 hours which was really helpful as we arrived late and had an early flight out. The prices were reasonable and the portions were large. The staff in the diner were lovely and chatty.
We stayed one more night on our return journey. Again we had great service.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

We stay here quite often. It's not the best place if you have small children, they do have a pool but it's quite a ways away from the rooms. The rooms are always clean and up to date.
It's very close to the airport and also close to major shopping centers. The Chop is the licensed restaurant attached to the hotel. You must go to this restaurant if you stay at the hotel it's a wonderful place. I have nothing but good things to say about the Sandman. :)

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 15 October 2013

This hotel has it's own shuttle and it runs all day. So no need to pay for a taxi. I found the staff at the front desk very friendly and helpful. I personally think that for 1 night it is a good hotel to stay at. Their rooms are comfortable and roomy. I also stayed there in the summer time and their A/C system is noisy if you like to sleep quietly. It is a Window Air Conditioner (Wall mounted) They don't have that problem in the winter. Also very convenient to have 2 restaurants attached to the hotel (Denny's and Chop) when it gets cold outside. Much better food at Chop but pricier. I've always liked staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: In the winter ask if there is any hockey teams in the hotel. Ask to be away from those rooms. It cou...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 September 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed in the executive jacuzzi suite over the weekend, the bed was comfortable but the pillows were awful, neither one of got a good sleep. We also found the tv's fuzzy and had a hard time watching it. They also give instructions on how to access their pay per view movies but they didn't work. For the price I paid for the suite I would have expected more.

• Stayed: September 2013