“Great food in the country”

Mama George's Restaurant & Takeout Ltd
Cuisines: Canadian, Diner
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Great food in the country”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Although I have tried their other items the meal that keeps me coming back for over 15 years is the roast turkey dinner. (They offer half & full size portions) Just be sure to ask for extra gravy as they often don't use enough. Otherwise the stuffing, potatoes & turkey are very good! The rolls are made there, they do heat them in the microwave but not because they are stale but because people enjoy hot rolls! It's true that Mama George's isn't the cheapest restaurant but it's only slightly more expensive than comparable offerings.

The desserts are also very good, made in the restaurant. The banana cream pie is assembled as you wait, with fresh banana slices topped with hand squeezed florets of whipped cream. I also have enjoyed the gingerbread & if you're not worried about calories endulge in the brownie sundae which is almost big enough for two.

I admit that other products such as the fish are not as good as other restaurants but if you're looking for turkey this is a great spot! I also enjoyed their chicken fajitas one time which were very tasty with big chunks of chicken.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Paul C

Saint John, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Never going back !”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Someone told me it was great...so I took the hour long drive to find the place. My food was far from home cooked, I had the roast turkey dinner $17.00 not including a drink. The turkey was not carved off a real roasted bird, it looked like it came from one of those frozen pressed rolled turkeys, mashed potatoes, a scoop of dressing, frozen diced carrot cubes and peas, cranberry sauce came in a tiny single serve sealed container, coleslaw, gravy, and bun all piled or rather jumbled high on a tiny 9 inch plate. What a mess! ...... Go back there...NEVER !

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank lpd123
Saint John, Canada
“Not worth the drive”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

I have been wanting to try mama George's all summer long. Put the family in the car and went to check it out. That was the first mistake! Home cooking?.my husband went to order the ribeye and the waitress made a funny face and said it was a frozen very thin steak,? Hmm ok . My daughter order a hot dog for $8.00 it was the smallest hotdog I have ever seen. Roast beef dinner was very thin and bland . Not sure how much of there menu is fresh home cooking, frozen vegetables were apparent . Anyway for the value ...not at all ...family of three 48.00 with no desserts

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank jennifer19732013
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
“Good Home Cooking in the Country”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is our "go too" place when we can't face cooking. Excellent Club Sandwich and I get the onion rings with it. If you're in the mood for just a Hot Sandwich then this is your place. We are always too full for dessert. After a golf game this is perfect. Cheap and cheerful.

Visited September 2013
Saint John
“Food not so good for price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

I haven't been here in a little while but decided to go for Thanksgiving. My little guy 6 year old ate off the kids menu and there was nothing under $6.00 and that's steep for hot dog and fries. We had Turkey Diner which was good but over priced as well. The roll was suppose to be homemade but I caught the waitress putting a stale roll in the microwave before our meal. Just thought. It was ok for value spent.

• Visited October 2013