“Tasty food in a bit too kitchy setting”
Review of Schnitzel Haus

Schnitzel Haus
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Charlottetown, Canada
“Tasty food in a bit too kitchy setting”
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I'm sure the kitch is part of the establishments charm, or so I shall choose to believe. Service was prompt and friendly, and offered suggestions from the food and drink menu for this "first time schnitzel foodie". I decided on (or rather couldn't decided so got a combo) the veal jaeger schnitzel with bratwurst, german fried potatoes, cream coleslaw and pickled cabbage washed down with a light german beer (which I can't pronounce).

Amount of food was prestigious! Half the plate was covered in a lovely crispy coated schnitzel smothered in a brown mushroom wine sauce. To the side were crispy fried potatoes with the most wonderful creamy coleslaw (with peas?) and the pickled cabbage in a dish to the side.

Flavours: potatoes and coleslaw excellent. Pickled cabbage tasted strongly of cloves - not a flavor I care for so that didn't work out so well for me. Schnitzel was light, crispy and delicious, however the jaeger sauce could have used more flavor IMO. Bratwust was very nicely seasoned and had a good mustard side for dipping. I'd like to come back and try that with a roll and sauerkraut someday.

Unfortunately, their signature desert of Black Forest cake was not available, so I didn't get to try.

Overall, enough food on one plate to easily feed two people! Glad I stopped, finally, after many years of zipping by on my way to/from Nova Scotia.

• Visited April 2013

Halifax, Canada
“Great staff, but food could be improved”
Reviewed 14 January 2013

The staff are very welcoming and the restaurant very nicely decorated. The food was OK - the sausage options were good, as was the sauerkraut however the schnitzels were very very heavily breaded and the meat fatty / lacking flavor.
They seem to be have a lot of groups, which no doubt help with business, but not the ambience.

• Visited January 2013
Halifax, Canada
“Not bad but needs improvement”
Reviewed 13 June 2012

FYI, my relatives are immigrants from that area of Europe. I found the schnitzel was thickly breaded and the pork cutlet inside was pounded thin. The red cabbage was not the greatest. I did like the bratwurst though which was included in this platter. I would have enjoyed the sausage special more. The schnitzel platter was pricey but the two sausage special seemed reasonable. I would stop here again possibly for sausage dishes in the future.

• Visited June 2012
Canada
“Not my first choice”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

This isn't by far my first choice in restaurants but i am also a picky eater. Just found that you weren't able to have things the way you wanted them unless they have more then one order or the same thing.

New Brunswick
“BEST GERMAN RESTAURANT I HAVE EVER BEEN TOO”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

The Schnitzel Haus is actually located in Aulac NB on the New Brunswick/Nova Scotia border. It is directly off of the exit on the Trans-Canada hwy. Authentic german restaurant right down to the waitress. I have eaten here 5 times. I have tried the Jaeger Schnitzel and the cream and cheese Schnitzel. Both are delicious. I love spatzel and it is very good here. I also like the red cabbage side dish. I had a piece of homemade black forest cake which they normally don't have, it was very good as well. The only comment I would make is that are usually lacking a good desert menu which is uncommon for a german restaurant of this calibre.

• Visited October 2011