“Flashback to Darmstadt, Germany 1971 - 72”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Schnitzel Haus

Schnitzel Haus
Cuisines: German, European, Central European
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Cary, North Carolina
“Flashback to Darmstadt, Germany 1971 - 72”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

This was a lucky find for us. We were looping Nova Scotia, PEI, NB on motorcycle and stopped at this exit to get something to eat. My wife whispered that she probably couldn't eat anything here but we gave it a try. She has a lot of allergies! The family was from near Frankfurt and the father was a butcher. The wurst were excellent and just as I remembered. Not many restaurants warrant a GPS Favorite but this is one!! I loved the bratwurst, potato salad and all!! I will be back! Also met a couple from NC, research triangle no more than 5 miles from our house. Great trip and great dining experience. Oh, yes, my wife had a great meal!!

• Visited August 2013

“As authentic as it gets!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

It may not look like much on the outside but when you get your meal you will realize what its all about. My Gf and her mother are German and they say this is as authentic as it gets in Canada. The portion size is huge and delicious!

• Visited June 2013
Ontario, Canada
“Will return!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

Traveling through New Brunswick and Nova Scotia on the trans-Canada highway is never easy in terms of finding great places to eat spontaneously. But we really lucked out this year in our annual road trip from Ontario, and will definitely return. I feel the other reviewers here can be a bit harsh in their assessments. Yes, the snitzel had a fairly thick breading, and the red cabbage was a little on the sweet side, but that dish was also delicately seasoned, and the Spaetzle (home made noodle/dumpling thingies) was very, very good. My wife, a vegetarian, was more-than-pleased to find a vegetarian platter on the menu -- not common at most German restaurants. While it is not as good as my favourite German restaurant in Lunenburg, NS (search for it!), it is certainly more than competant, and a welcome respite from most of the junk served along the transcanada in these parts

• Visited July 2013
Charlottetown, Canada
“Tasty food in a bit too kitchy setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

I'm sure the kitch is part of the establishments charm, or so I shall choose to believe. Service was prompt and friendly, and offered suggestions from the food and drink menu for this "first time schnitzel foodie". I decided on (or rather couldn't decided so got a combo) the veal jaeger schnitzel with bratwurst, german fried potatoes, cream coleslaw and pickled cabbage washed down with a light german beer (which I can't pronounce).

Amount of food was prestigious! Half the plate was covered in a lovely crispy coated schnitzel smothered in a brown mushroom wine sauce. To the side were crispy fried potatoes with the most wonderful creamy coleslaw (with peas?) and the pickled cabbage in a dish to the side.

Flavours: potatoes and coleslaw excellent. Pickled cabbage tasted strongly of cloves - not a flavor I care for so that didn't work out so well for me. Schnitzel was light, crispy and delicious, however the jaeger sauce could have used more flavor IMO. Bratwust was very nicely seasoned and had a good mustard side for dipping. I'd like to come back and try that with a roll and sauerkraut someday.

Unfortunately, their signature desert of Black Forest cake was not available, so I didn't get to try.

Overall, enough food on one plate to easily feed two people! Glad I stopped, finally, after many years of zipping by on my way to/from Nova Scotia.

• Visited April 2013
Halifax, Canada
“Great staff, but food could be improved”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2013

The staff are very welcoming and the restaurant very nicely decorated. The food was OK - the sausage options were good, as was the sauerkraut however the schnitzels were very very heavily breaded and the meat fatty / lacking flavor.
They seem to be have a lot of groups, which no doubt help with business, but not the ambience.

• Visited January 2013