“Nice Weekend Stay for Event”

Riverside Resort & Conference Center
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Fredericton
Reviewed 21 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here back in June with some family members. The service by all the staff we encountered was very pleasant (front desk and bar/restaurant staff). This place has so much more potential than it currently has, but it was sufficient for what we did and needed. The room was nice - a little higher than average with the layout, but it had a window where the ceiling was high and we could not block out the light when we wanted to sleep in during the mornings. This woke us up quite early for weekends and it was difficult to get back to sleep because of this and the temperature heating/cooling system was difficult to maintain. It was nice to have a fridge and a couch in the room, but things were a bit outdated. It was sometimes difficult to get to our room with the one (very old) elevator going between the three floors.
Again - we really did enjoy our stay here and we hope they will consider an update prior to our next return!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 5 September 2013

Outside needs paint but very nice stay.....beautiful scenery. Great breakfast. Great prices. Close enough to town to go in. Love the atmosphere. In the country. ..love that. Great place for weddings or other small gatherings. Atmosphere

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 14 August 2013

The hotel is wonderful and sits on hill overlooking the river. The room was very clean and spacious. The staff was very obligingly and helpful. The outside deck was an outstanding experience. We sat in the sun reading while the restaurant staff saw to it we didn't lack for anything. This is a great place, the rooms were very nice, the restaurant was excellent, and the staff were wonderful. Thanks for making our visit so pleasant. We will be back.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We were given the room on the first floor next to the elevator and the front desk. We were promised that there would be very little noise...WRONG. It was terribly loud with people yelling, walking around and we could hear all the dishes being moved in the restaurant. When we asked to switch rooms we were told that there were none available. The room was clean but the bed clearly hadn't been changed in years. It was uncomfortable and squeaked, the bathroom door squeaked, and the shower made a louse noise.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Miranda0699
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Stayed one night at the Riverside Resort on our way home from Nova Scotia to give it a test run as I thought it might end up being a regular 2 night stop on our annual trek to Cape Breton after reading their website.

I'm glad we checked it out because it was a big disappointment. It seems like the owner is just holding the land or waiting to sell it because it needs major improvements. The building needs a paint job, the ceiling were cut out with signs of long term plumbing problems, their indoor pool is hurting with a hot tub that seems to have been out of order for quite awhile, a old playground and tennis court that have seen better days, and doors that didn't even work when trying to get back into the main building.

I wish I could praise the food like a few of the other reviews did but it was also disappointing. Over battered, under cooked fish and chips that seemed to have been cooked in oil that hadn't been changed in days and a piece of discount apple pie that should never be sold in a restaurant.

Finally, make sure you ask for the gas cards that they advertise with a room purchase as we had to request ours on check out which seem a little fishy because I could see a lot of people forgetting or not knowing about it. Hopefully someone will buy this "resort" and restore it to it's better days...a beautiful piece of land on the river that we will not be back to anytime soon.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Coolhand15
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I have stayed at the Riverside Resort on several occasions when I am in Fredericton and each time, I have enjoyed the experience very much. I love that the hotel is located in the woods, with the occasional sighting of deer and other little animals walking by. The gardens...the grounds...the 35 acres of walking trails in the woods...and the *amazing* waterfront sunsets are the reason that I come back to this hotel every time I visit Fredericton. In the past, I have usually stayed in one of the Deluxe Rooms on the 3rd Floor, as I enjoy the unusual architectural angles of the 30 foot vaulted ceilings. However, upon my recent visit, the Front Desk informed me that the Jacuzzi Suite had recently been renovated, and since I had stayed in a few of the other suites, I asked if I could see the new room. What I saw was simply beautiful and upon my next visit to Fredericton, I am hoping to stay in this new suite if it is available. The unique experience that the woods, the waterfront, and the gardens offer at this hotel always brings positive energy to my spirit......a magical place!

Room Tip: Ask for the Jacuzzi Suite, if it is available. It is beautiful and you won't want to leave your...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I was frankly amazed at how awful this hotel was based on some of the reviews. The rates are reasonable and the food is great. It ends there. This facility looks like it was once a gem. Construction circa 1990. Typical conference resort. Unfortunately things have fallen far since then. The building is moldy. Walk down the hallway with your eyes on the ceiling and the history of plumbing failures becomes apparent.

Check in ok. But nobody so much as offers to hold a door for us. We are four ladies travelling on our own. One in a wheelchair/scooter. The room we booked upstairs is uninhabitable as the owner has killed the ac to the hallway. It was well over 100f in that hallway. After dragging our stuff upstairs on a luggage cart with a mind of its own we had to turn around and go back dripping in sweat. Even the ac in the room was not on and wasn't working right. So we made room switch number one and got my Mom and I into a room on the main floor with working ac. Plus the room we had booked turned out to be smaller than described. With my Moms mobility we need all the floor space we can get. So the larger room on the mainfloor helped. The staff were useless.

Our second booked room was fortunately already on the main floor. The ac was even left on by the maid as you would hope. Unfortunately it was now iced up and not working any more so we were once again ended up switching rooms. Later the ac in that room iced. We informed the desk and got a lecture on how we must have used it wrong (no instructions provided previously) a drain pan supplied but no repairman. I decided to fix it myself with some warm water a wash cloth and the drain pan. Which is when I discovered the problem. The hotel has improperly bypassed thermostats on the ac units when hooking them up to new wall control units. The air conditioner without a thermostat on the grill functioning doesn't know when to cycle the cooling off to prevent ice build up. So even my aunts new room quickly had an iced up ac even when we followed their directions on temperature and fans settings. It didn't help that all the ac units either were missing their air filters or they were clogged and filthy. So air conditioning is useless in this hotel unless you get a room without the wall controller or one where they have done the bipass correctly.

The rooms are fugly colours but thats subjective. Ours looking like Barney the dinosaur threw up in it. The colour schemes appear to be an attempt at updating but the old carpet and bathroom wallpaper show how half hearted the attempt was. The furnishings definately belong in another era. The windows offer a beautiful view but they are tiny and placed high so you don't get much enjoyment out of them unless you are standing. There is an ancient miniblind and no curtains (despite rods) so forget sleeping in. Several items are powered by a multitap that is crushed under the head board and mattress. The wires are hopelessly bent. Obviously they have never hosted a firemarshalls convention. Someday I expect a bridesmaid will discover a smoking smell coming from her hair.

The bathrooms feature the shallowest tub I have ever seen. It might do for splashing a baby clean. Overall cleanliness is relatively good. All the fixtures in the bathroom remain circa 1990 and show it.

The pool is dreadful. Its indoor which is good because the bugs are horrible outside. Unfortunately they don't bother heating it or cleaning it. The tiles are black with mildew and the skimmer baskets are brown. Classic signs of a lack of chlorination. 80% of the lights in the pool area are turned off or burnt out and the heater is left off. The warm tub (its actually a bit warmer than the pool) has filters that are so clogged that they can hardly move the water. There is a bit of circulation when you turn the timer on but certainly nothing that could be called a jet. Forget air bubbles. Those parts look like they haven't worked in years. From the pool you have an expansive view of filthy windows. Cleanliness is not apparent at all. Towels are nowhere to be found. Of course when we walked by the desk and discussed going swimming she never offered a towel. But when my aunt came back to ask about towels she was provided one. Service just is never there. The girl we saw the most was often sitting behind the desk listening to music on her ipad.

The grounds look beautiful but unkempt. Trees and bushes that were once neatly kept it appears are now over grown. Weeds replacing once lush perennials. Chairs of rotting wood. Look at the beautiful water but just look. The dock is marked no trepassing and no swimming is allowed. The crowning water front feature is an allegory for the entire resort. Looks nice from the brochure or at a distance but on closer inspection you will see poor maintainence, a lack of service and lost opportunity.

This hotel survives to this day on cheap bus tours and hapless brides who likely have no idea the hell they have inflicted on their guests. I am sure the bridal suite is likely passable and the food was certainly good. But disservice and poor maintainence makes this place a nightmare.

At every step we made our concerns made known to the staff of this hotel. They never made any attempt to make things right. We could just keep changing rooms if we wanted to. Until we passed out from exhaustion and heat. Not even my handicapped Mother was offer the slightest amount of hospitality or service. The maids and front desk staff stood around discussing what rooms were clean while I dragged our luggage cart by. When a bag fell off they turned and looked and then went back to their conversation. Nobody offered to pick it up or hold a door for us.

Avoid at all costs.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank judyzzz
Marc J, Director of Sales at Riverside Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

We would normally address all concerns during a guests stay, but for this one I shall be brief. You checked in with a one night reservation and did have problems with your air conditioner. Surprisingly, after "how awful this hotel was" (your words), you decided to extend your stay with us for another night. It wasn't until check out that you produced a long list of deficiencies, that you felt deserved free accommodations or a bad review on trip advisor would follow. We decided not to agree to your demands and you have fulfilled your part by writing your bad review.